Repair Harddrive

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was more messed up than when I posted this comment for the record: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/163441-repair-harddrive/?p=929434

because it seems only the internal diagnostic had been run, instead of the file you posted, which was burned on the dvd rom.

After the Compaq logo loaded, a dark screen appeared which said only:

Smart Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4:

WDC WD BEVS-STO-(SI)

Warning. Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue

But the orange light stayed on, and pressing F1 didn't register.

When I clicked F1 on load of the Compaq logo, the PhoenixBIOS screen appeared, white letters on a background of blue:

PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility

Notebook Model Compaq Presario F700 Notebook PC

Product Number KW06IUA#ABA

System Board ID 30EA

Service ID 00000

Processor Type AMD Athlon 64X2

Dual Core Processor TK-57

Processor Speed 1900 MHz

Total Memory 4096 MB

BIOS Version F.05

Serial Number CNF8172ZRK

UUID Number 434E46383137325A

524B00IE68544C07

>Diagnostic Log

The second column read:

Item Specific Help

View the results of the hard disk and memory self test

At the bottom was a menu with the following selections:

F1 Help ^v Select Item F5/F6 Change Values F9 Setup Defaults

Esc Exit <> Select Menu Enter Select >Submenu F10 Save and Exit

The only values which were clickable were F10 Save and Exit and Enter Select to view the diagnostic. That screen said:

Diagnostic Log

Time Results

2015/01/15 0854 #10008-Replace Hard Disk /

and I had lost the System Recovery Tools.

You are losing me.  All that information is not pertinent.

You indicated the WD Diagnostics generated a fatal error.

The hard disk is bad.  If you want to continue the use of the Compaq Presario F700 Series notebook, you have to replace the hard disk.

if i may interject ...

david is correct ... the HDD is headed south .

what this means is that the HDD may "look" ok right now , because "things are working" ... but ... it will not last .

(as indicated by your statement that you "lost" some more things)

think of it as a car engine with a rod knocking ...

yeah , you can turn up the radio and you won't hear the "tick-tick-tick" turn into "thunk-thunk-thunk" just before it leaves you standing beside the road hitching a ride .

any "work" you do on or to the existing HDD will wind up being for naught .

i would strongly suggest pursuing a plan of replacing the HDD .

What I mean is, the diagnostic seemed to default to the Microsoft diagnostic, even though my father burned the WesternDigital_Diag520fCD file.  We never got the diagnostic to boot from the CDROM. When I got the laptop, even System Recovery Tools that I posted for the record were not accessible. 

On load of the Compaq logo, the choices are:

Press escape to enable Startup message

F1 System Information

F9 to enable device order

F2 Startup check

F10 to enter setup

Finally when I clicked F10, the screen said, Entering Setup

Click Enter

Launch Startup Repair

Selecting Launch Startup Repair, brought the screen:

Startup Repair

A hard disk problem is preventing Windows from starting.

Contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk.

View Diagnostic Repair Details

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions.

Send information about this problem (recommended)

Don't send

View problem details

Problem signature

Problem Event Name Startup Repair V2

Problem Signature 01 System Disk

Problem Signature 02 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03 0

Problem Signature 04 65537

Problem Signature 05 unknown

Problem Signature 06 Bad Disk

Problem Signature 07 8

Problem Signature 08

Problem Signature 09 unknown

Problem Signature 10 1168

O.S. Version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:  1033

Read our privacy statement.

When the System Recovery Tools were back, I clicked the Recovery Manager to see what would appear.

Factory Image <== This is nice. There is a factory image of how the laptop is fresh from the factory. So I clicked, okay, and software on my computer automatically reformatted the hard drive, and installed the content sent from the factory!

My files before the meltdown are backed up.

Only, it is 2007 versions of all the software which came preinstalled.

I am accessing this forum on a different laptop, because your malwarebytes website doesn't load in IE7.

IE7 is so old, I can't even update it in Microsoft. The Microsoft pages don't support a request from the IE7 browser.

I hope you'll show me how to install IE 9 from the command prompt.

Please bear with me.

When I click Start/All Programs

there is a Recovery Manager folder, which is preinstalled on the laptop.

It has:

• Recovery Disk Creation
  • Recovery Manager

This is so nice. I am going to create a disk. If I ever have to start over with a new hard drive, it can be installed like the factory of the original, including all the EA games, HP software, and all the goodies of the classic Compaq F700 from 2007.

(This is why there are some fans of Vista Home operating system, even though it got some bad reviews.)

if i may interject ...

david is correct ... the HDD is headed south .

what this means is that the HDD may "look" ok right now , because "things are working" ... but ... it will not last .

(as indicated by your statement that you "lost" some more things)

think of it as a car engine with a rod knocking ...

yeah , you can turn up the radio and you won't hear the "tick-tick-tick" turn into "thunk-thunk-thunk" just before it leaves you standing beside the road hitching a ride .

any "work" you do on or to the existing HDD will wind up being for naught .

i would strongly suggest pursuing a plan of replacing the HDD .

Okay, I see what you are saying.

This is my question. I'm quoting myself:

On load of the Compaq logo, the choices are:

Press escape to enable Startup message

F1 System Information

F9 to enable device order

F2 Startup check

F10 to enter setup

@ Dave, you SAID click, F1, when I see the Compaq logo.

The above choices are the ones that I see.

Should it be, F9, "to enable device order," instead of F1?

When I clicked F9, before the Recovery Manager reformatted the hard drive, the screen showed two choices:

1. ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive
  2. <Enter Setup>

But at that time, clicking #1 defaulted to the Phoenix BIOS.

I could try it again.

OMG - What is all that crap ?   post-14644-0-49948600-1421541345.gif

We determined the hard disk was bad, at the lowest level, by the manufacturer's utility.

In all the above, the only pertinent information is that we are discussing a Compag Presario F763NR.  That is a Vista platform using a 2.5" SATA drive.  Currently using a WD1200BEVS ( that is bad ).

That's a 5400rpm 120GB hard disk.

The following is a faster. larger hard disk for $51.00 from Newegg.
WD BLACK SERIES WD3200BEKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

When and only when you have replaced the hard disk should we be discussing restoring the the factory image of Windows Vista.

I am TRYING to steer you in the right direction.

My father burned the WesternDigital_Diag520fCD file, and ran the diagnostic. He told me later, it said, Replace the hard drive. Let me send a pm, and ask a couple of questions.

That is good enough for me !

The Check disk is complete. I didn't finish reading the message, before it disappeared. It said something to the effect of, one bad cluster [of over 17 million free clusters] got added.

Now it says

. . . type ngsf . . .

The volume is clean.

Now I have to log in.

Those weren't the letters, but it was four characters that began with, "n." It flashed by so fast, I didn't copy it.

These are the instructions I followed:

Check your hard disk for errors
Applies to Windows Vista

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., and then clicking Computer.

2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Note
  • If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Okay, just saw your response. Sorry. Before I did any of the above, I tried to follow your instructions to run the WesternDigital_Diag520fCD from the DVD.

When the Compaq logo appeared, I clicked, F1. The screen went blank, and until writing finally appeared, which said

Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.txt

Please make sure that the license Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.exe

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM

Insert correct disk and Strike any key -

The last two lines repeated until they filled the screen. I had to reboot, then the same thing happened, but I removed the DVD. Then I rebooted, and Windows loaded as usual. What did I do wrong?