Firewall Opinions Please?

Not sure whether to post this in General Chat or PC help, so I hope I am in the right place!

I used to use Windows Firewall on my computer and now after purchasing the full Internet Security Suite from AVG, I use that instead for my Firewall.

It asks me when a program on my computer is trying to access the internet, which is a nice feature. I don't know how to tell if it blocks out outside users, so I only hope that it is!

Could someone, if anyone knows, tell me how good Windows Firewall is vs AVG or at least anything you know about either Firewall? I'd like to use whatever has the best protection.

Guest victimized

Hmm, ZoneAlam is a very good firewall, except it uses too many resources. Online armor is also a good one. BitDefender's firewall is also good but it may block a few sites.

Thanks!

hmm.

What do you use?

Hmm, ZoneAlam is a very good firewall, except it uses too many resources. Online armor is also a good one. BitDefender's firewall is also good but it may block a few sites.

Guest victimized

I use Windows XP firewall, I like it since it doesn't slow down the internet like other firewalls, but I still use it since I have never been hacked. Actually, there is a very low chance that someone will hack into your computer, that is by them controlling what you do.

Thanks for the response ;)

Oh, and I see that you use Avira. Do you use a full or a free version?

I use Windows XP firewall

Guest victimized

Mountain tree as you see, I wrote Avira AntiVir Personal. This Personal edition is the free one, so yes, I do use the free one, I like it because it has the best detection rate. You can only be hacked lets say a virus gets into your computer, then the guy controlling it picks up some information about your computer with the virus he/she made. Or, you can get it by people trying to hack into your networks like how you connect to your network on a laptop's wireless internet. The other way you could be hacked is by visiting a website that causes a phising attack. Can also happen on instant messaging/chatboxes.

Hi,

Windows firewall is excellent at protecting you from attacks from the outside. All firewalls can protect you from attacks from hackers, as they hide your ports. If you want outbound protection too (control the applications with access to internet), you should install a 3rd party firewall.

The best personal firewalls today are: Comodo, Online Armor and Outpost (even in their free versions!)

These top firewalls include HIPS functionality in order to prevent malicious programs to connect to the Internet, thats why they are so effective.

You must have only one firewall running.

hope i helped.

Thanks!

hmm.

What do you use?

On XP none on Vista I use Vista Firewall Control but I'm not impressed.

Please watch these videos:

http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwa...loper-interview <== software firewall discussion begins 8 minutes into the video

They are very good and the site is in my Favorites.

SZGR: Thank you so much for your detailed response!!!

What exactly are ports?

I wonder if AVG has HIPS, that sounds excellent! Where do these malicious programs come from that connect to the internet? Something hidden on a users computer or from a website?

You were quite helpful!! Thank you very much :P

YO Kenny:

Thank you for your response :P

you don't have a firewall on at all on your XP?

Thanks for the link! I opened it up and will watch it soon. Should I watch everything on the page?

Guest victimized

@mountain tree. I used AVG firewall when I got their internet security trial. BTW, uninstall AVG Identity Protection because it is pretty much useless, unless you have accidently download malware, it also scans your directories, which makes it slow.

Anyways, getting back to the topic, AVG Firewall, well I don't know much about it but can guarantee you that it is very good, since it is an anti-virus company.

Victimized.:

Thank you very much.

Why do you say its useless? I'm just curious. I thought that it looked very helpful.

Thank you again :P

Guest victimized

It is because AVG Identity Protection searches for malware and spyware while you're on the computer, automatically, making it slow. Also, you can stop it, but it turns on again during your next startup. Although, it only scans directories and probably won't find a virus for you.

Victimized:

Thank you very much! So basically it scans in the background, which is a good thing, but the bad part is that it slows down the system, and is unlikely to find anything anyway? I just want to make sure I am understandingly correctly.

Okay, thanks :P I guess I won't bother installing it then. It seemed like such a great feature too. I was dissapointed that I had bought it a few days before that feature came with the program.

YO Kenny:

Thank you for your response :P

you don't have a firewall on at all on your XP?

Thanks for the link! I opened it up and will watch it soon. Should I watch everything on the page?

It will be the best 20 minutes you can spend.

Vista Firewall Control is now gone as it does not support my modem.

Thanks again :P

What are you using for a firewall then if Vista Firewall Control is gone? What do you mean by it doesn't support your modem?

It will be the best 20 minutes you can spend.

Vista Firewall Control is now gone as it does not support my modem.

I just use the firewall that comes with "Norton"

I like it because it makes the decisions for me.

The first computer I had in 2003 came with "Zone Alarm" and it drove me crazy I kept getting pop ups every few minutes asking me if I wanted to let such and such access port number such and such.

I didn't have a clue what any of it meant and I was such a newbie I had the computer for about 4 or 5 months before I found out that I could remove "Zone Alarm" and instal something else if I wanted...