Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Help File

puff_m_d

Hello,

I have done some searching for a help file for MBAE (maybe I just missed it) and have had no luck in finding one. I am specifically looking for a guide to the MBAE custom shield templates and their differences along with examples of the type of apps applicable to each template to help me determine which template is best suited for a particular app. As an example pertaining to the browser template: Would a file browser/manager fall under the browser template or would the office or other template be best suited? Which template would offer the most/best protection? Does such a thing exist, and if not, could there be a FAQ created explaining the different MBAE custom shield templates and how best to choose which template would be best for any given app. I am interested in this as I would like to have maximum protection of MBAE (along with the best compatibility) without feeling that I am just guessing which template to protect an app with. Basically just a way to determine the best way to setup MBAE for maximum protection and best compatibility with the apps that I want to protect....

• Staff

There is a help file that ships with MBAE. Just double-click on MBAE's traybar icon to open the UI, and then hit F1 to show the help file.

However the help file doesn't go into as much detail about custom shield profiles as you are asking. I agree this would make a good topic for an FAQ. I'll try to work on that sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

Hello Pedro,

Thanks for considering adding a FAQ concerning this topic. I know you are busy and  I appreciate any time you can spend on this. I just always feel I am second guessing when I set up custom shields and wonder if I have set them up properly and the best way possible... Some sort of guide to help users decide which template to use would be great!

• Staff

No problem, you are correct that this would be very helpful.

In the example you mention of a file manager, I think it is more appropriate to use the "other" profile. This profile should be used as the default for custom shields except if the application to be shielded behaves similarly to the remaining profiles (browser, office, pdfreader or mediaplayer).

Hello Pedro,

I think that now with other exploit protection apps on the market, it can be confusing. I read a post on another forum by a developer of an exploit protection app where he advised the user that he recommended a file manager type app be protected by his app with their browser template. His analogy was a file manager was basically a file browser that could be used to launch other apps, so with his software, the browser template would work best. This is just one example of how it can be confusing because different vendors use the same names for their templates but design them to cover different areas.... Having some sort of guide in making these decisions would be great and help avoid confusion to those that may try out different vendors products...