What is this file?

Flamewarrior

I was going through my computer and clicked on the folder that took me to my C: drive, I saw a file named: $Recycle.bin and earlier I saw a file with a $ in front of it. My PC is running slow and I'm kind of concerned. I ran about 3-6 scans on my PC with MacAfee and Malwarebytes just to make sure there were no viruses but nothing came up... I also noticed that my documents and settings folder had a picture of a lock on it, is this normal? So if I may ask all of you; what is this file, and is it supposed to be on my computer?

It is the Windows Explorer Recycle Bin.  A cache of deleted files until permanent deletion.

It is usually a Hidden System construct.  It may show based upon a drive being used on one OS and then used under another OS or if it is unhidden.

I suggest a Google Search.

Okay so it's just a backup for all the files I deleted?

My computer also scared me because I accidentally clicked a random folder @.@ Whoops...

I forgot my custom sounds were on, nearly gave me a heart attack...

Anyways, when I opened the folder there was nothing in it.