Can't push to most end users - RPC Server unavailable

Hi All,

I was looking at this link previously:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/136133-failed-to-create-remote-service/

I enabled the WMI inbound rules even though the FW is turned off on the domain profile. It seemed to work for maybe 1/10 computers. I still get the RPC server is unavailble, Please allow WIM through Windows firewall error.

Any suggestions? Trying to push out to approx 1500 systems through the console.

Thanks

Hi CDS,

This was mentioned in that thread, but please make sure the following prerequisites are being met:

• Make sure the necessary ports are open for inbound/outbound (Default in setup is 443 for server, 18457 for client, and 137 for NetBIOS)
  • NetBIOS is enabled on client machines
  • File sharing is enabled on client machines
  • Make sure to be pushing with Domain Admin credentials
  • Make sure .NET Framework 3.5 is installed

After verifying that, if a push install is still failing let's try installing a manual client, and check to see if that checks in with the server.

To create a client package:

1. Click on the Policy Pane
  2. Choose a policy
  3. Click on "Installation Package."
  4. Choose a directory, usually desktop unless you want to make a specific folder for your installation packages.
  5. Choose a Client Group, if any have been created.
  6. Choose whether or not you want Start Menu or desktop icons.
  7. Choose whether you want an EXE file or MSI file.
  8. Click Export.

This will generate a file at the desired directory.   Install this manually on a client, then check to see if it appears on the Client Pane.

Hello,

• Make sure the necessary ports are open for inbound/outbound (Default in setup is 443 for server, 18457 for client, and 137 for NetBIOS) - all ports open
  • NetBIOS is enabled on client machines - NetBIOS set to default
  • File sharing is enabled on client machines - enabled
  • Make sure to be pushing with Domain Admin credentials - using domain admin credentials
  • Make sure .NET Framework 3.5 is installed - system I am using to test has .net 4.5 installed.

Running manual install after exporting a package installs and checks into mangement console with no issues.

Thanks.

Hello,

• Make sure the necessary ports are open for inbound/outbound (Default in setup is 443 for server, 18457 for client, and 137 for NetBIOS) - all ports open
  • NetBIOS is enabled on client machines - NetBIOS set to default
  • File sharing is enabled on client machines - enabled
  • Make sure to be pushing with Domain Admin credentials - using domain admin credentials
  • Make sure .NET Framework 3.5 is installed - system I am using to test has .net 4.5 installed.

Running manual install after exporting a package installs and checks into mangement console with no issues.

Thanks.

I was coming to post a similar thread.

I can not successfully push a client install.

I see "installing" as the status for about 15 minutes and then it fails stating the PC is busy?

Watching the running processes on the target system I can see a few installation service spawn but they never complete and just seem to be stuck waiting, neither growing in memory used or cpu cycles.

CxL

I so far can only use the exported installation package via PSEXEC to perform an install.

As soon as the installation completes the console 'sees' the new client and begin logging activity.

I also seem to not be able to force a database update from the console to an end point, or initiate a scan - so it seems as if the clients can talk back to the server, but the server can't successfully SEND to the clients.

You may also want to check and see if any other security software or settings are interferring with the push installation.  Sometimes a network appliance can cause a deployment to fail.

One detail that may help is describing the way the console deploys.

The Management Server uses the credentials entered to perform a NET USE command on the C:\ drive of the target client.  It then copies the necessary files to a folder and runs the installation process from there.

After checking, if you are still having issues, please submit a support ticket and reference your forum post: https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/business/contact/

Here we will ask for logs and can better track your issue.