Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

programs terminate shortly on starting, restart run okay. Windows XP

TD5

Recently, about 2 months ago, I first experienced Micorsoft Outlook starting and then abruptly closing saying it encoutered a problem. Upon restarting, it ran fine with no further incident.  Then it started happening to Microsoft Work, Irfanview, Quicken and others.   Malwarebytes has picked up nothing.  I also run SuperAntispyware frequently and it has detected nothing.  I've Googled the problem but have not come up with a match to my problem.  It appears there are a host of  "Outlook has to shut down... " problems specific to Outlook but not anything like what I am experiencing in that most all my applications are affected.   I am running Windows XP SP3 which I've kept updated.  I do not use any anti-virus, but do have Windows Firewall running.  Otherwise my system appears to be running fine.

Any thoughts that this may be caused by malware, or how to identifty what is going on would be appreciated.

TIA

We would need more info on the system....

Please read the following and in your next reply ATTACH the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs

(the three files should be CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

Thank You,

Firefox

Firefox, as requested.

Thanks for the help.  Things I have done.    I have run  Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes rootkit, disabled HOSTS, and spybot.   I am not running out of page file.  Once restarted all apps fun fine.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

• Root Admin

Not sure that the computer is infected but you need to remove all of these entries from the Registry as no program should be running under compatibility mode unless they just will not run without it and even then I'd recommend finding another program if it needs compatibility set.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Then restart the computer. In general I'd still recommend that you have one of the Experts assist you in checking further to make sure it's not infected.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks