Highest and Cheapest Gasoline Prices by Country

pondus

We're victims of price gouging up here. Nobody wants to take credit for such highway robbery, but it is clearly the doing of higher gas company executives. Gas is at $4.25 per US gallon (canadian$) in my area, yet it is sold for less than $3.50 in many other parts of Canada.

Price of crude is less than half of what it is was last summer. Prices at the pumps here are only 30% lower. That's a lot of profit money...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We're victims of price gouging up here. Nobody wants to take credit for such highway robbery, but it is clearly the doing of higher gas company executives. Gas is at $4.25 per US gallon (canadian$) in my area, yet it is sold for less than $3.50 in many other parts of Canada.

Price of crude is less than half of what it is was last summer. Prices at the pumps here are only 30% lower. That's a lot of profit money...

You and me know why gaz is more expensive in Québec, Mark. That stupid provincial tax. However, it's currently $1,08 at my local gaz station, the lowest it's been in YEARS, so I won't complain. :P

We do pay more tax than any other province, but the extra we pay up here is gouging ; we only have a tiny voice and government isn't standing up for us.

The lowest it's been here is $1.13 per liter ($4.25 /US gallon). The Montreal area is hit with an extra tax which we don't have, but you might.

Prices at the pumps used to directly reflect the price of crude oil, but those days are far behind. And because governements make so much tax money from oil nowadays, they aren't inclined to fight for fair gas prices for consumers. I know it's complicated economics mixed in with politics and environmental concerns, but I still think some people are making wayyyyy too much money and are getting away with it.

We do pay more tax than any other province, but the extra we pay up here is gouging ; we only have a tiny voice and government isn't standing up for us.

The lowest it's been here is $1.13 per liter ($4.25 /US gallon). The Montreal area is hit with an extra tax which we don't have, but you might.

Prices at the pumps used to directly reflect the price of crude oil, but those days are far behind. And because governements make so much tax money from oil nowadays, they aren't inclined to fight for fair gas prices for consumers. I know it's complicated economics mixed in with politics and environmental concerns, but I still think some people are making wayyyyy too much money and are getting away with it.

I don't think I'm hit by that tax, since the gaz price around my area is cheaper than in Montreal (I live 20-25 minutes away from Montreal). Plus, I live kind of close to the Ontario's border, so when I go to places like Coteau-Du-Lac, Valleyfield, St-Lazare, Les Cèdres, etc. the gaz is even cheaper since the tax isn't applied there (or just lowered), this way the gaz stations there can compete with the Ontario's one. Otherwise, someone would simply cross the border to go gaz and comeback as it's always cheaper there, and local gaz station wouldn't survive.

• 2 weeks later...

That falls under the category of st00pid !

One thing to remember when filling up in the winter is once you are out of the automobile, stay out. 

Many people get out, start the gas pump, go back in their car and get out again.  The problem is in the dry air of the winter a static charge is built up on ones clothes as they exit their automobile.  When they attempt to remove the gas filler hose the static electricity is discharged and has led to many fires when the spark generated ignites the gas fumes.

BTW:  My last gas fill in 2014 was for $2.18, credit price, for 87 octane.

@David : I don't know about the States, but up here we no longer have those little lever locks that allow unattended fillings. At least not at self-serve stations. I've been known to improvise when I need to clean glass or something by jamming the gas cap under the trigger/lever, but never do I sit in the car while filling up.

$2.18 is very low. We haved it at $1.08 per liter now which comes to $4.08 per US gallon. Quebec has just added an 8 cent par gallon carbon tax (Jan 1), as if we needed more tax on gas... grrr...

Here in New Jersey, USA, there is a State Law that requires a Station Attendant to dispense gasoline ( petrol ) and as such there are no self-serve stations.

I always have felt that if the Station Attendant has to be out in the weather ( inclement or not ) then I should share that burden.  It also gives me a greater capability to track my credit card "handling" as well as clean the windows, etc.  One of the pleasures of automobile ownership is caring for it.

$2.18 wasn't bad.  It has dropped again but credit is usually higher than cash.  So there are local NJ gas stations @$2.08/gallon.

many people go all to hell mentally in an emergency/crisis situation .

methinks it has gotten worse in the last 30 years ... <_<

however i shall digress .

the price of a gallon of "regular" in kalispell is right at $2.15 .

(ps ... heading home in a couple of days)

back home now ... a day late and 128 bucks poorer .

a snow and freezing rain storm prevented getting to the train depot (about 65 mile drive) and thus my round trip ticket was no good .

in detroit lakes i seen prices of $1.89 ... the prices here are about 10 cents higher .

That is very similar to prices in Canada. Our dollar is worth about the same as yours and we pay $1.05 per litre these days. Some areas in Canada pay less, down to as low as $0.84 per litre but those places pay much lower gas taxes than anywhere else in the country.

1 US gallon is 3.78 litres, so you're paying an equivalent of $1.05 x 3.78 = $4.00 per US gallon (AU dollars). That's roughly $3.32 USD per US gallon. That's still a lot. Most Europeans pay much more due to higher taxes.

Here, I find Diesel is ~$0.75 per gallon more that regular Petrol.  I remember when there was still leaded gasoline and only trucks ( and some Mercedes ) had Diesel engines and the cost of Diesel Fuel was less than regular Petrol prices.

When most other manufacturers started installing Diesel engines, the price of Diesel fuel shot up. 

Diesel engines are touted as delivering more Horse Power and thus a greater Miles Per Gallon ( MPG ) rating.  But it seems to me that if the price is higher than the cost per mile is also higher and thus it negates the MPG benefit. { at least from a cost stand point, one still gets the benefit of traveling further on an equal sized fuel tank }

post-14644-0-79395500-1421344186.gif

• Staff

Yes, I remember that David, the same happened here until people started buying Diesel cars. Now the price is at least 10p higher than for unleaded (Petrol).

Next we have the Mayor of London and a few other politicians (Sigh) wanting to bring in measures to get rid of diesel cars on the roads due to the supposed higher health risks the fumes pose which contradicts their earlier assessment of diesel being enviromentally friendly.  Had I known they were planning this action two months earlier than when I bought my Jaguar XF, I would have opted for a petrol version :(

Edit:

I read recently that the French Government will be banning Diesel cars (Privately owned) from entering Paris city in 2016 (if memory serves me correctly).