pondus

Highest and Cheapest Gasoline Prices by Country

pretty telling of what is going on ... subsidizing is an attempt to make the blanket longer by cutting off one end and sewing onto the other end .

Looking at the UK figures (which is questionable):

Price per gallon of gasoline: $7.33
Rank by most expensive gas: 8
Rank by pain at the pump: 39

I can only assume this price is based on pumps in London. If you move out of the city(s) the price rockets. We pay nearly 4p a litre more than those in cities due to being on the doorstep to France.

Next I see:

The U.K. may soon have a new tool in fighting fuel prices: new oil supplies. Shale rock beneath some of southern England’s wealthiest counties may contain billions of barrels of oil, according to a government report this year.

The U.K. has opened up regions for shale licensing and offered breaks to drillers to spur development. Shale drilling for gas and oil faces opposition over water contamination and greenhouse gas emissions.

Is this a fracking joke!  Local opposition to this is huge as we know that it's Government spin and will not lower prices yet severely contaminate the land, destroy house prices and the list goes on. :(

We currently hold the title "Rip-off Britain". Live here and you will see why.

A real Pain in the Gas ?    attachicon.gifwinky1.gif

if you drive a Dodge viper V10 it sure is    :D

if you drive a Dodge viper V10 it sure is    :D

Me ? 

Nah...  A Dodge Grand Caravan SE that is a Flex-Fuel automobile ( with a MyGIG REN ).  I leave the race cars to the < censored >.

I am enjoying ~$2.60 USD / gallon of petrol

SAAB 9-3   1.9L  150HP  Diesel    mixed driving 43mpg ..... higway at steady 90km  56mpg

Up here (Quebec, Canada) gas is $4.60 a gallon (that's canadian dollars for a US gallon which is 3.78 liters). Or $1.22 per liter as we have it. I drive a Jeep and it's horrible on gas, especially in the winter...

in northern minnesnowta the price is about $2.48/gal .

a friend mentioned that in some city way south of here the price was $1.90/gal .

@ advanced setup : :lol:

and it is pretty much the truth .

ole and lena jokes are very popular here .

you can't run fast enough to get me to eat klube (fat in a doughball ... boiled) , ludefisk (aka : fish jello) and (uuuggghhh) hot dish .

the price has dropped another 2 cents .

You'll notice when prices went up, shipping costs went up and that cost was passed onto consumers.

Now that prices are dropping, you'd expect a decrease in shipping costs and that would be passed onto consumers.

I am not seeing it.

Retailers are quick to pass on increased costs to consumers but are slow to pass on savings.

Apparently I read that wholesale prices for oil are at their lowest, around 20-30% of what they were last year. This did not stop utility companies (the big 6 providers in the UK) from persistently raising prices above inflation. The Government due to public pressure has got these vultures to lower them BUT this wont happen till March next year! So far the fuel pump wards being conducted by the main supermarkets are the only thing that is slowly driving prices down here, but not by much. They still have the monopoly over us all here.

You'll notice when prices went up, shipping costs went up and that cost was passed onto consumers.

Now that prices are dropping, you'd expect a decrease in shipping costs and that would be passed onto consumers.

I am not seeing it.

Retailers are quick to pass on increased costs to consumers but are slow to pass on savings.

It's ridiculous how powerful the oil industry is. Depending on who you talk to, you'll get different versions every time. Here's an example of what refineries might say right now : well this is a transition period, just like it is in the spring, where we need to switch from summer to winter gas. Because every state has its own mandatory switch date, gas delivery gets very costly because we need to refine both grades simultaneously and can't deliver the same gas across some state lines.

Blah-blah-blah...

We pay more here than our neighbors to the South (the US) mostly because of taxes ; it's a lot worse in Europe. The problem with taxes is that governments love the money they get from them and the higher the gas prices, the more tax money they make which looks pretty on the budget balance sheet. So who looks out for us the consumers ? I'd love to hear an answer to that one...

The oil lobby rules. Pretty much everything. Got us by the proverbial balls and they know it all too well.

If the taxes collected are used for County, State and Federal infrastructure then I am all for it.

If Gasoline Tax is funneled off into general funds and non-transportation issues then, I am against Gas Taxes.

We use the roads, we should pay for a "safe" infrastructure.

I just filled up tonight at $2.39 a gallon....

later you stated it dropped another $0.10 / gallon.

On the news Tonight its was stated some filling stations in Texas are below $2.00 / gallon.

last night a station had dropped their price by .01 ...

usually the other stations in town (and slightly outside of the city proper) follow suit .

i will see if this is true when i leave in a couple of hours to have coffee with the fellas .

It's the same here where the supermarkets compete by 0.1 on the price but not lowering it to any really acceptable level. Each trying to be a tad lower than the other while maintaining profits and keeping the price over inflated.

LOL CWB, looking at your avatar, your coffee with the fellas is probably long overdue ;)

I agree with you David that these taxes should be used to maintain infrastructure but, here in the UK, the money used to do this is always being cut back. :( No need to guess where it's really going.

For every litre of unleaded petrol bought in the UK, 61 per cent of the pump price goes to the government as fuel duty and VAT along with 59 per cent of every litre of diesel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/10668970/British-fuel-tax-highest-in-Europe.html

On top of the fuel price, we also pay high road taxes (Vehicle tax). Details here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables