hake

Where are my added shields in MBAE Premium 1.05.1.1014

On installing the new release MBAE Premium 1.05.1.1014, I was surprised to see that my added shields were not retained.  This was unexpected.

I think it was mentioned elsewhere, but I will add it to the FAQ.

You can backup/restore your custom shields by making a backup of the applications.dat file from the MBAE user data directory.

Thanks Pedro.  Also the install of MBAE 1.05.1.1014 does not give the option for the desktop shortcut.

Yep we got rid of that in the installer to add the trial option. Being an unnecessary shortcut since MBAE only runs in the background and is available in the traybar, it was really just cluttering people's Desktops. If you want to re-create it simply create a new shortcut pointing to mbae.exe.

Pedro,

if it's just a matter of backing up and restoring the applications.dat file, why can't the 1.05 installation do that automatically?   While I was aware that 1.05 didn't automatically import one's existing custom shields, I think most people don't know this... and so, will be surprised as was the poster in this thread.

Especially for people who may have extensively customized things, it's a burden to 1) have to remember which programs were added, and 2) to decide [again] which application type to apply.

Yes you guys are 100% correct!

For 1.06 we don't expect a change in format of the dat file, so it won't delete your custom shields. Only in the case where we implement new custom shield functionality is when they have to be re-created.

We'll add something to the backlog to make this more automatic and transparent.

Thanks!

Aaaaaah!   So that's why swapping between MBAE 1.04.1.1012 and MBAE 1.05.3.1012 lost my added shields.

[...] a change in format of the dat file

So, if you change the format of the dat file, can the old-version 'applications.dat' file be used safely

(without causing instabilities, or so) in the new version of MBAE?

No it cannot Wojtek, as the old version format won't include data expected by the new version.

As mentioned we'll add something in the backlog to make things easier in terms of maintaining custom shields across upgrades to new versions.

Custom shields are also lost after activating (i.e. after converting from the Trial version to the Premium version, by entering your ID & Key).  They do however return after a reboot.  It looks like the activation process isn't reading the applications.dat file.

BTW, which profile we should choose for Open Office: 'office' or 'other'?

You should use the Office profile. Also make sure to shield ONLY "soffice.bin" as the executable. There is no need to create shields for every OpenOffice application.

Thank you! :)

Does it make any sense to add 'Run a DLL as an App', that is rundll32.exe, to the custom shields?

The same for 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' shimgvw.dll and 'MS Paint' mspaint.exe?

When you quite often download files to be viewed using those programs?

I wouldn't add shields for OS components like rundll32.exe. You can do it but it might have an impact on performance. The best thing is to try it and keep an eye on it. If you do, choose the "other" profile.

As for the DLL, you can't add a shield for that. It needs to be an executable.

For MS Paint you can choose either the "other" or "mediaplayer" profiles.