[SOLVED] Issues with many custom shields (was AirVPN Client)

Hello,

I use AirVPN and for some reason MBAE no longer will protect it (Windows 8 64 bit installer version available HERE). AirVPN does not show in MBAE's logs nor is the mbae64.dll injected. This use to work but now does not. I have always used the browser profile but I also tried other profile and still does not work. When the new version of MBAE was released today, I did not know if it was the same as the test version that I had, so I installed over the top. This is when it broke. I have done a complete uninstall (including reboot of system and cleaning any leftovers of MBAE) and done a clean install, but still have the same results. Nothing I have tried will work in getting MBAE to protect my AirVPN client. Any ideas?

Pedro, if you need my logs, I can PM them to you...

Edit: Just got 100 posts so I had to give the "Edit" feature a try  :D  ...

Hello Pedro,

AirVPN is a .NET app that serves as a wrapper for OpenVPN. I launch AirVPN which in turn launches OpenVPN with all of my custom settings and it also works as a UI to control/modify my connection/settings.

Log files sent via PM...

Thanks for the logs Kent, we'll take a closer look. But upon quick inspection it seems like AirVPN.exe launches without a UI Window, executes openvpn.exe and immediately exits. This might be the reason why it is not showing up in the LOGS tab nor as injected (as it simply executes and exits immediately).

Could be related to current Known Issue #3 when an application doesn't have a Windows Desktop UI under Windows 8.x.

Hello Pedro,

AirVPN does launch with an UI window (and with a system tray icon) and continuously runs (does not exit). I use the AirVPN UI to control OpenVPN and my VPN connection. AirVPN.exe shows in process explorer as the parent of openvpn.exe. There is no UI for OpenVPN as AirVPN is its wrapper so to say. Even though there is no UI for openvpn.exe, it has a custom shield in MBAE and shows as protected in the logs (dll is also verified as injected).

It has always worked prior to today, so I am at a loss as to what has happened to change that. All I did was install the released version today over the top of the test build, and when that failed with no protection for AirVPN, I did a clean removal and a fresh reinstall of MBAE. Nothing else changed from when it was working till it is not working except for this. Strange and I am at a loss...

Hello Pedro,

AirVPN does indeed now show in the MBAE logs. I also verified manually that the mbae64.dll is also now injected into the AirVPN process. This procedure has resulted in the AirVPN custom shield working as expected. Thanks!

I went back and removed the AirVPN and OpenVPN custom shields and then added them again just to see what happens. The same scenario was again reproduced where AirVPN was not being protected. After following your procedure again, AirVPN was once again protected. So this is a reproducible issue. I assume this means that for some reason there is some kind of a bug or glitch in adding this particular custom shield.

That means the limit is 36, so anything after that would not be protected, but I added back the custom shield that you had me delete to test (which would be 37) and it works.... So what is the maximum number of custom shields that you can have?

Hello,

I also use AirVPN and saw this topic. Just wondering if I need to do anything extra in Anti-Exploit to shield the program. I don't see it in either my shields or logs. Running build 1.05.1.1015.

Sorry for the double post but I didn't see the edit button. I added a custom shield for it using the "other" profile, and it shows that it is now being shielded. Hope I did that right and I'm using the right profile.

Hello apav,

I have been using MBAE to shield both AirVPN and OpenVPN with no ill side effects on my system with the following custom shields:

AirVPN - AirVPN.exe - browser

OpenVPN - openvpn.exe - browser

Using the "browser" template instead of "other" probably does not make a lot of difference but in theory will add more protection.

HTH... 

Hello apav,

I do not use any of those features \with the AirVPN client so I have not made custom shields for them. I pretty much use the default settings within the AirVPN client. If you use any of the features in the AirVPN client that require those processes, you could always add and test a custom shield for them if you wish. At worst, if there was an issue, you could just delete that custom shield. If you are unsure as to whether any of those features are being used by you, you can check in task manager to see if any of them are running, but if you are pretty much just running the AirVPN client with default settings, there is no need to add anything else besides the two custom shields I listed in my previous post.

HTH...

On a side note: You definitely do not want to add a custom shield for "tap-windows" as it is actually an installer and should not be shielded...