Google Chrome runs Slowly when Malwarebytes is Scanning

For some time now, I have been having an issue with Google Chrome performance whenever Malwarebytes is scanning my computer. Obviously, my computer is never as efficient when Malwarebytes is scanning because of high disk usage, but the decrease in performance seems to hit Google Chrome real hard. For whatever reason, whenever Malwarebytes is scanning, Google Chrome is extremely sluggish with launching or opening a new tab and loading a page for the first time. Once I have a tab open, navigating between pages is not an issue, but if I open a new tab to navigate in, it takes forever. Also, if I try to navigate to a new page in different tabs at the same time, the second tab doesn't begin to process the page load until the first one is completed.

As I have already said, this has been an issue for some time. When the last release of Malwarebytes came out, I tried to resolve the problem by activating the new "reduce scan priority" feature. I have left the feature activated because it doesn't do any harm, but it doesn't seem to have helped either. Can anyone tell me if they have the same problem?

Hi:

It sounds as if you might be running "Custom" (previously called "Full") scans of your entire system, and/or you have an older system with older hardware?

Let's start with routine troubleshooting:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

I tried a clean install prior to making this post, so I'm going to move on and try the log files instead. The scan mode that I am using on my computer is the one that does the most complete (Threat) scan. My laptop is not really that old so I don't think it's got anything to do with the hardware. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on an HP ProBook 4540s that I purchased about 2.5 years ago. If you are talking about it being obsolete, the fact that it is that old means that it is indeed obsolete, but hardware wise it should be able to handle Malwarebytes. Here are my logs.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hi:

Re: scan type -- Threat scan should take only several minutes on most systems, but, of course, there are many factors that determine that. Even so, it ought not to slow your browser.  Scanning of other drives (external, NAS) *will* be slow and probably will consume resources.

Re: "older", I was referring to a system with an older CPU and/or minimal RAM.  Your system would seem to be newer and sufficiently robust.

Re: both of these, I was just looking for possible explanations for your issue, as we don't see (m)any similar reports here, even though you have reported this issue many times over the past several months in different areas of the forum. :)

Re: your logs.

1. Your mbam-check log shows several PUPs in quarantine. 

Without the full Addition.txt log, it's hard to say, but there might be other malware remnants on the system that could be contributing to your issues. 

It also shows that MBAM was installed on October 13

In order to get to a known, clean starting point for additional troubleshooting, we would respectfully suggest that you please follow the original advice to cleanly reinstall, following these steps: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Doing so often resolves many minor issues.

2. The "Addition.txt" is severely truncated for some reason.

So, please re-run FRST, to see if we can get a complete log this time.

>>>As you have already run FRST once, please place a checkmark in the "Addition.txt" option BEFORE you run it again.

Then, please post back with BOTH logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) attached to your next reply.

It might also help to see a fresh checkresults.txt log from mbam-check, AFTER you reinstall MBAM, please.

3. What antivirus and firewall software are you running? (The information is missing from the truncated log :( .)

Thanks,

I am not using any firewall other than the one built into Windows, and the only other anti-virus I have installed is the one that's built into Windows 8/8.1. The PUPs that are quarantined all come from OpenCandy, which was the result of my installing running various installer programs on my computer when installing software. Are you sure the Threat scan is supposed to be quick? Threat scan does a scan of lots of stuff so I wouldn't expect it to be abnormal for it to take a long time. I don't know what happened with the truncated log, so here it is again, round 2.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

I'm not running a scan on my computer at the moment so I decided to check out how Google Chrome behaves when the disk usage is low or nonresistant. I opened Task Manager and waited for a little bit to verify that my disk usage was low. For most of the time, disk usage remained at o% with the occasional minor jump. I then navigated to random websites in one Google Chrome tab with minimal effect on disk usage. Upon opening a new tab, the usage rose slowly and capped at 100%. I've known for some time that Google Chrome is very resource consuming but it becomes really bad when Malwarebytes is scanning.

Did a complete uninstall with the cleaner again followed by a reinstall. Chrome is still sluggish and Malwarebytes still uses has heavy disk usage when scanning. The problem is by no means solved and it takes Google Chrome lots of time to work, but I have verified that Malwarebytes does decrease it's disk usage whenever I launch another program.

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that this computer is actively being used to pirate and steal software from Adobe. As such we cannot continue to assist you unless you're will to remove all illegal software.

127.0.0.1                   activate.adobe.com

If so please send me a private message .

Thank you