How to remove embedded registry entry

Chris219

Like a jerk, I perfomed the recent registry hack for XP that would fool it into thinking I have POS 2009 installed and offer updates through Microsoft Update.  Then I decided I didn't trust the idea and did not download any of the updates.

I would like to remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady registry subkey but have been unable to achieve this, even using RegAssassin.  Is ther any setting to choose where this thing can be deleted once booted into Windows? 

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hello and welcome:

This topic looks as if would be better suited to the "PC Help" section of the forum.

(For one thing, this section devoted to the less prominent Malwarebytes utilities and tools doesn't get much traffic.)

Other than that, we'll need to wait for someone more expert to specifically answer your question.

Thanks,

Like a jerk, I perfomed the recent registry hack for XP that would fool it into thinking I have POS 2009 installed and offer updates through Microsoft Update.  Then I decided I didn't trust the idea and did not download any of the updates.

I would like to remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady registry subkey but have been unable to achieve this, even using RegAssassin.  Is ther any setting to choose where this thing can be deleted once booted into Windows? 

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi:

>>> Mod team, this is a duplicate, cross-post for this one -- https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/161506-removal-of-pos-registry-hack-for-xp-with-regassassin/
;)

@Chris219:

There's no need to create duplicate topics. :)

Today is a holiday in the US, where many MBAM staffers and forum volunteers are based.

Please try to be patient, and wait for someone to reply.

One of the expert forum members will be along as soon as possible.

As this is the Malwarebytes company forum operated primarily for the support of its products and users, another option *might* be to try posting at a more "general" computer forum, such as bleepingcomputer or many others?

Just a thought.

Thanks very much for your patience,

No, even regdelnull will not remove it.  It scans for null entries and finds none. I used the format c:\regdelnull hklm -s.  It scans, finds nothing, and closes.

Windows thinks that the PosReady is installed and won't budge.

It is ok.  I will be careful what new updates I download from Microsoft or just go back a ways and restore a registry point before I did the 'hack' to get the MS updates for XP. 

See if the attached helps you out.   

In short, I created a Dummy Key, I Took Ownership, and then gave myself full permissions to the key and then deleted it.

• If you are unsure what to do...
  • If you have NOT made a backup...
  • If you don't understand what I am demonstrating...
  • If you think that you may make a mistake and delete the WRONG key...

Please..  Don't do it.

EDIT:

Attached WMV purged due to the lack of feedback by the OP.