Error message: There was an error executing a required program. This program may be corrupt.

money_guy

In the last four weeks, I've seen a pop-up window with the message: "There was an error executing a required program. This program may be corrupt." and the address bar shows a file in my temp folder (currently: C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\cks3550.tmp). The strange thing is this always shows a different .tmp file. This has probably happened 2 or 3 times in the last month.

I click 'OK' and nothing happens. Nothing stops ...no crashes. I have a relatively new Dell XPS 8700 running Windows Pro and I've had Malwarebytes installed from the very beginning and my scans have been clean.

Google and Bing searches turn up nothing when searching for cks3550.tmp . 

Anyone ever see anything like this?

TMP files in the %TEMP% folder will normally be based randomized names.  Supposedly, files in the %TEMP% folder with TMP file extensions are transitory.  They are TEMPorary and should only exist while a process is running and use the %TEMP% folder as a kind of scratch-pad.  Once the process completes, the TMP files are "supposed" to be deleted.  However this is not always the case.  The use of a program such as Piriform's Cleaner can be used to clean out latent TMP files that should have been deleted.

There are many different programs, processes and/or utilities that will perform the above and they can be legitimate or they can be malicious.  Using Google to search for a reason is just a waste of time and is the wrong approach.

However, one can use the Sysinternals ( Microsoft ) Process Explorer utility.  Once an error occurs, one can launch Process Explorer ( procexp.exe ) and choose from the pull-down menu;  Find --> Find Handle or DLL...
and then enter the name of the offending TMP file ( such as cks3550.tmp ).    This will find what process created the .TMP file and may provide a clue to the problem.

Note that if this seems a bit complicated and if your are unsure if malware is the cause or not, I suggest visiting the Malware Removal Help sub-forum.