Free Version Changes

Antigravitas

Disabling the Hyper Scan feature in the free version of your software is a questionable tactic. This is basic functionality of a simple engine that does not show any drastic development between versions; I fail to see how it warrants a premium fee unlock. I've used Malwarebytes for a long time as a field expedient, usually recommending you when asked for my opinion, but this makes me think twice. If your aim is to persuade people to purchase a premium license I doubt removing features from the basic suite that were previously available is going to earn many points toward that end. My perception of you, over this simple inexplicable change, has altered from trusted software developer to sales focused service provider; I can't say that is an upgrade. This behaviour does not pass the sniff test, whatever the internal justifications may be.

You can be a trusted software developer and a sales focused service provider. In fact, to be successful they have to be both. I agree it wasn't the fairest of moves to remove feature but they need to push sales somehow and the free version is so good that it becomes difficult to do so.

Hello and welcome:

The different types of scans were renamed in version 2.

"Flash" is now "Hyper"
"Quick" is now "Threat"
"Full" is now "Custom"

Hyper scan is available only to paid, PREMIUM users, but it is neither routinely needed or recommended -- if anything is found, a subsequent Threat scan will be needed, anyway.
THREAT scan is the most important and most useful scan -- it is the one that ought be run on a regular basis (daily is the default setting now in 2.0 Premium), as it will scan in the areas most likely to harbor live malware.
Custom depends on what drives, folders and files are selected -- routine use of a "full" system scan is neither necessary nor recommended, as it's a task better suited to your antivirus.

I'm sure the staff and product team will have some additional information about this.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Hyper scan has never been available without a license in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (though of course you have access to it and all other paid features when using the free 14 day trial we offer). This was the same in the 1.x versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware when this feature was first introduced (in 1.x it was known as the "Flash Scan").