puff_m_d

Possible Memory Leak

Hello,

This may have been introduced in version 1.05.3.1010 but I did not notice until 1.05.3.1011. It is also present in the latest 1.05.3.1012. I did not notice it with any versions prior to these. I am on a Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit system. The leak is with the "mbae-svc.exe: service. On boot I see about 4 MB of memory being used. It seems to go up by about 4 MB an hour on average. I have often seen the memory usage go above 150 MB and on two occasions have seen it go above 200 MB. Has anyone else seen the memory usage of mbae-svc.exe slowly creep up as I have?

Haven't seen that happen on any systems yet.

Can you post or PM me a FST log so we may try to replicate it in a setup similar to yours?

Still investigating Kent. Was able to replicate on a Win8.1 x64.

Any additional info that might shed some light into this will be highly useful and appreciated.

Hello Pedro,

I did some testing over the weekend. I used a fresh installation of Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit in which MBAE was the first software that was installed after Windows was fully updated. The memory leak was still present. I have since updated my Windows install with my usual set of software. No change in the memory leak. From this my assumption is something to do with Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit, MBAE, and/or my hardware. It does not seem to be specific to any of the software (security included) that I normally run (which seems to rule out a software conflict between MBAE and a software that I have installed). Sorry that I cannot provide any more information but I will keep an eye out to see if I may discover something pertinent to this memory leak.

Thanks for your help so far....

Hello Pedro,

One other thing that I have thought of: If my memory serves me, this started after the Windows Update KB3000850 November 2014 update rollup for RT 8.1, 8.1 and 2012 R2 - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850. This was a huge update (over 700 MB). At the moment, this is the only thing I can think of that changed on my system around the time MBAE 1.05.3.1012 was posted. I do not know if this will help or not, but maybe it will...

Hello Pedro,

One other thought concerning my last post (sorry but cannot edit posts here yet): That update was released last Tuesday (11/18/2014) out of band. The regular Windows updates were released the Tuesday before that (11/11/2014). MBAE 1.05.3.1012 was posted 11/20/2014 so I was using 1.05.3.1011 when I first noticed the memory leak. It could be possible that the memory leak coincided with the regular monthly Window updates but I may not have noticed it until a week later after I installed the KB3000850...

Other than the regular Windows updates on the 11th, then KB3000850 on the 18th, these are the only known changes (besides MBAE versions) that were made on my system during the period that I discovered the memory leak.

Sorry for the ramblings but I am just trying to document any changes that were made to my system during this time...

Thanks for the feedback Kent.

I'll PM you a new build for testing. It (hopefully) fixes this problem.

Hello Pedro,

I just installed the new build for testing. Initially after thirty minutes on the test version, memory levels seem stable. Given the memory leak was slow and only noticeable over a few hours, I will report back to you on this.

On a side not (and probably nothing to do with this), the previous 1.05 series had shown an small increase in CPU usage but with this test version it has gone back down to previous levels. The CPU usage increase was small, so I had forgot to mention this in previous posts as I had considered this insignificant. I probably should have posted that I had noticed this but it had slipped my mind.

After I have had time to observe, I will post back my results.

Hello Pedro,

After a little bit over an hour on this test version, I have seen no significant increases in the mbae-svc.exe service. Previously, after an hour, the mbae-svc.exe memory usage would roughly double. I have seen normal minor fluctuation, both increases and decreases, over the last hour but that is to be expected of course. In fact, after one hour, the memory consumption is actually a tad bit less than after initial starting of MBAE. I would at this point assume the problem is indeed fixed but I will keep my system running for another 24 hours or so just to verify 100% that it is fixed. I know that at times memory leaks are not fun trying to isolate, so thank you for fixing this issue so quickly! Great job as always...

Just for my curiosity and the fact that since the time Windows 8 was first released that Windows updates have been an issue for many programs, did any of the Windows updates have any thing to do with this memory leak?

Thanks again...

We're not quite sure yet what the real root of the problem is. After 1.05 release we'll dig deeper into this issue to see if the problem comes from Windows Update or from our own code.

Hello Pedro,

Well, after about 8 hours now of extreme testing (including adding 36 custom shields as you know from this thread: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/161318-windows-8-store-apps/) I would say the memory leak is definitely fixed. In fact, as I post this, it is the lowest memory consumption that I have seen thus far...

Good work as always!

On my Windows 8.1.1 x64 Professional systems, mbae-svc.exe is at 12 mbytes RAM and climbing steadily.  Is there a way to get my hands on the test build to fix this on my systems as well ?

TIA

After ~9 hours of running the test build, Mbae-svc.exe is holding steady at 3.1/3.2 mbytes RAM.  In addition, mbae.exe has dropped from ~16 mbytes in build 1012 to 3.8 mbytes in the test build.

Thanks very much for the test build and the fix.

Hi Pedro.  

Any chance of trying the fix as well. Using 1.05.3.1012

Hello Pedro,

After extended system up-times of 24 to 48 hours, there seems to be a very small and slow memory leak still. On boot I see about 4 MB with mbae-svc.exe, after 24 hours it is up to 8 MB, and after 48 hours it is up to about 12 MB. This compares to about about 4 MB every 24 hour period compared to every hour originally. The leak is so small and over extended system up-times, so it took a while to notice. I almost did not report this back because I am not sure this is a serious issue now or not but I thought you may want to know. It is not causing any issues and MBAE is running flawlessly other than that. I just thought that what ever was causing the original leak may still be present only to a much lesser degree and you may find this information useful. Thanks.

Thanks for the build Pedro, already looks better with MBAE Service sitting at under 1MB :)

Will post back in several hours

Thanks for the update Kent. We're still investigating the cause but we've discarded our code for now. We'll continue looking.

After reboot and several hours up time MBAE Service sits static at 1.7MB

Also nice UI enhancement

Thanks again Pedro

Hello Pedro,

If you think it would be appropriate I too would like to test the new build.  I'm using 1.05.3.1012 at the moment.

Regards.

Hello Pedro,

Do I need to upgrade to the released version, or is it exactly the same as the version you PM me earlier.