[Suggestion] Support for Windows XP x64 edition

TheQuickFox

Hello and Welcome!

Thanks for the suggestion, and bear in mind I am not on the staff, just making a comment....

Being that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP, I am guessing that the folks at Malwarebytes as well as other programs will probably stop coding for Windows XP.

• Staff

Hello and Welcome!

Thanks for the suggestion, and bear in mind I am not on the staff, just making a comment....

Being that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP, I am guessing that the folks at Malwarebytes as well as other programs will probably stop coding for Windows XP.

That being said, and I can't await the time we stop supporting XP, but we're away off from that, MBAM has never supported XP x64. Not 2.x or 1.x and we're certainly not about to start coding going backwards.

• Staff

Unfortunately supporting XP Pro x64 is virtually impossible thanks to the extremely limited support MS has had in the past/continues to have for it. We have looked into it, but there are unfortunately several hurdles to getting our Malicious Website Protection driver to function there that we have been unable to overcome.

In addition to that of course is the fact that an extremely small number of our user base is actually running XP Pro x64 and this has always been true, even prior to Windows Vista shipping.

That said, your request will not go ignored and I will bring this up again to our Developers to see if anything has changed which would enable us to support full functionality in this OS in the future.

• Staff

Hello again :)

I just spoke with one of our Developers, and while he couldn't make any promises, he did say that assuming it works as he believes it does (he has not personally investigated the matter thoroughly yet), once we create a Malicious Website Protection driver with similar capabilities to the one employed in version 2.0 and later versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on Windows XP 32 bit (currently XP 32 bit uses our old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 website protection driver which lacks many of the newer capabilities and performance enhancements provided in the driver used on Vista Service Pack 1 and later Windows versions due to differing APIs being available in later Windows versions), it shouldn't be a problem to make a version compatible with Windows XP 64 bit.

Now of course do keep in mind that this will definitely require additional investigation so we can't make any guarantees about whether or not that is true so support for Windows XP 64 bit still might not happen even once we do support our latest capabilities on XP 32 bit, but there does appear to be some hope.

As for when this will happen, I can't give an estimate at this time as we have many other items that we are currently working on and planning for.

• 3 months later...

Hello again :)

I just spoke with one of our Developers, and while he couldn't make any promises, he did say that assuming it works as he believes it does (he has not personally investigated the matter thoroughly yet), once we create a Malicious Website Protection driver with similar capabilities to the one employed in version 2.0 and later versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on Windows XP 32 bit (currently XP 32 bit uses our old Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 website protection driver which lacks many of the newer capabilities and performance enhancements provided in the driver used on Vista Service Pack 1 and later Windows versions due to differing APIs being available in later Windows versions), it shouldn't be a problem to make a version compatible with Windows XP 64 bit.

Now of course do keep in mind that this will definitely require additional investigation so we can't make any guarantees about whether or not that is true so support for Windows XP 64 bit still might not happen even once we do support our latest capabilities on XP 32 bit, but there does appear to be some hope.

As for when this will happen, I can't give an estimate at this time as we have many other items that we are currently working on and planning for.

Hi there. I know that absolutely no promises have been made, but I want to inform you that I tested the latest version of Malwarebytes (v2.1.3.1017) on WinXP x64 / Win2003 x64 and the malicious website protection is still unable to activate here.

• 1 month later...

Hi, bugmenot:

We will need to wait for a staff member to respond regarding the feasibility of coding MBAM for 64-bit Windows XP.

AFAIK The main problem is the architecture of 64-bit XP -- it differs significantly from the newer 64-bit versions of Windows, making coding difficult.

Moreover, MS did not and does not provide good support for it.

Staff will correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK several MBAM features, including malware protection and scanning, will work on that platform.

It is (mostly) the website blocking module that is not supported and that does not work.

I understand that this module is an important part of the real-time protection.

But your AV and firewall can help to fill that gap.

If, as you mentioned, you only want a "Free" version -- which is just an on-demand, manual scanner -- then it's not an issue at all. ;)

Real-time website blocking is a paid, Premium feature.

The Free version of MBAM never has offered a web blocking module or other real-time protection.  It should work pretty well, even on 64-bit Windows XP.

Thank you,