I can't stop AntiMalware from starting with Windows

I have a paid version of AntiMalware, but I want it to run only when I want it to run. So I've disabled the start-up (by right-clicking the icon in the task bar's notification area and unchecking the "Start with Windows" option), but it kept starting with Windows anyway.

I searched the web for a solution and saw someone suggesting that a clean uninstall (using a tool downloadable from your website) would help -- which it indeed did, but only for a week or so.  After that AntiMalware went to its old ways.

Please let me know how to consistently stop it from starting with Windows.

Hi:

This was an issue on some systems a while back, especially after an on-top version upgrade.
But I haven't seen any recent reports.

Let's start with the suggestions here: MBAM Always Starts with Windows

I know you said you've already tried a clean reinstall.
But, in order to get to a known, good starting point for additional trouble-shooting, if the steps above don't work, please proceed with the following:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly, daledoc1.

I've followed your advice -- did a clean uninstall, then re-installed Anti-Malware -- and so far so good, it doesn't strart with Windows.

I'll see what happens during, say, the next 10 days, then post un update.

Again, thanks very much...

Hi daledoc1,

Unfortunately, the problem has come back -- and I have to say, it came back almost immediately after my previous post.  Anti-Malware now starts each time I start Windows.

The files with the logs you requested are attached to this post.  Mind you, I ran the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool while Anti-Malware was switched off, so if you want me to run it while Anti-Malware is running, please let me know and I'll re-run the tests.

Many thanks,

Eugene.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

There's no need to switch off MBAM to run FRST.

(If you do run it again, please be sure to place a check-mark in the "Addition.txt" option before you run it.)

Please also run the mbam-check tool and post back with the CheckResults.txt log.

Then we'll need to wait for AdvancedSetup or a forum expert to review them and advise you.

I do recall a small handful of similar cases, but none recently.

And I don't recall what -- if any -- solution was used.

(Your logs do show some entries suspicious for PUPs or other unwelcome entries. So we may need to send you over to another forum area for a deeper look at the system to exclude the possibility of malware.)

Thanks,

It appears that no-one from MalwareBytes is interested in helping their paid clients, so I had to resolve the problem myself.

1) To ensure that unclicking the option "Start with Windows" does take effect, one needs to first click this option (no matter how paradoxical this sounds), and then close Anti-Malware.

2) Then you need to reboot your PC, wait for Anti-Malware to start, then unclick the option "Start with Windows", and close Anti-Malware.  From now on, it won't be starting when you reboot your PC.

3) In the future, never shut down your PC if Anti-Malware is still running.  If you do, it will begin starting with Windows again, no matter whether the option "Start with Windows" is clicked or not.  So always close Anti-Malware before shutting down your PC.

Frankly, I find this bug very annoying, and hope that MalwareBytes will soon fix it.

Hi:

It appears that no-one from MalwareBytes is interested in helping their paid clients, so I had to resolve the problem myself.

I'm very sorry about the delay.

The forum was offline for quite a while intermittently over the past week.

So, it appears that your post may have been inadvertently overlooked.

While I am only a home user and forum volunteer, I think I can speak for the staff in saying that they are indeed interested in helping their paid (and Free) customers.

In any event, I'm glad that you found a workaround for the issue.

(FWIW, most users DO want the real-time protection to start with Windows, as it's a key component of the Premium version).

I will escalate your topic to the product team, as I don't recall if this is a known "bug" or an expected behavior.

As it is the weekend before a busy holiday week in the US, please be patient awaiting a reply from staff.

Once again, I apologize for the delay.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding.

Thanks, daledoc1 -- and I do appreciate the fact that you are a volunteer.  I've also already reported this bug to the customer support, so they will hopefully take care of it tomorrow.

> most users DO want the real-time protection to start with Windows

Yeah, I know -- and I always have it on on my son's PC.  As for myself, I've been bitten by malware a couple of times (typically, through exploratory escapades of my prodigy :-), so I've now developed immunity... well, to a certain extent, at least.

In any case, I am reasonably confident that I can recognize situations where I'm in danger and, in those, I do switch the antivirus on. But, if I am not, I try keep the number of memory resident programs to minimum, as I need all the processor/RAM power I can get for computations (I'm an applied mathematician).

Hi:

Thanks for your kind words.

You also said:

In any case, I am reasonably confident that I can recognize situations where I'm in danger and, in those, I do switch the antivirus on.

With today's modern computers, MBAM Premium puts little strain resources, especially when it is not actively scanning.

So, I will leave it to the staff to address in their expert way the inherent vulnerability in your strategy of waiting to recognize a dangerous situation.... ;)

(Bottom line: it will likely be too late.)

But, just as a point of clarification for anyone else who might read this thread, MBAM is NOT an anti-virus and is not a substitute for one:

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

So, I hope you have a robust, real-time AV -- either free or paid -- as your first line of security software?

Ennywho, I have escalated your case to the MBAM Product Manager.

I expect that he -- and/or another qualified staff member -- will reply here as soon as possible.

They will be able to tell us whether this is a bug, an expected behavior, or something "one-off" with your system.

Thanks again,

• Root Admin

In any case, I am reasonably confident that I can recognize situations where I'm in danger and, in those, I do switch the antivirus on. But, if I am not, I try keep the number of memory resident programs to minimum, as I need all the processor/RAM power I can get for computations (I'm an applied mathematician).

Hello Eugene

Well I'm here to tell you that with fileinfectors and Encrypted attacks you will not be able to reasonably see and manage. It will be too late at that point and without good valid backups of your data you will lose that data. Not saying you will get hit by one of these type of infections but I don't want you to have some false sense of security. There is some nasty stuff out there.

The issue you describe should not exist on the current build from what I'm told by QA. I would need to try and replicate it myself if wanted. Please let me know if you still want help with this or if you're okay now.

Thank you

Hi AdvancedSetup,

> The issue you describe should not exist on the current build from what I'm told by QA.

And yet it does. I've just checked it with the latest version of the product.

> I would need to try and replicate it myself if wanted.

To replicate this behaviour, you'll need to do the following:

(1) Uncheck the "Start with Windows" option (in the menu which pops up if you right-click the Anti-Malware icon in the notification area of the task bar).

(2) Restart your PC while Anti-Malware still running.

(3) Upon reboot, wait 2-3 minutes (for some reasons, Anti-Malware does not fire up immediately after the reboot).

(4) If the above didn't replicate the problem, repeat (2) and (3) one more time.  In my experience, in never takes more than two attempts to replicate this behaviour, and perhaps just one would suffice if one waits long enough (see the comment in brackets in (3)).

> Please let me know if you still want help with this or if you're okay now.

Yes, I do want help, as I find this bug annoying. I am also sure that there are other people out there with the same problem.

Thanks,

Eugene.

I had the same issue. I found that if there is a scheduled scan set or scheduled update set the program will start no matter the setting at "Advanced Settings" > "Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows".

If you have either or both set delete them and give it a try making sure to uncheck the setting for it to start with Windows.

If you shut down Windows with MB running the service MBAM Scheduler starts no matter the above setting on the next reboot. I have tried changing the service to disabled or on demand but it always changes back to auto and will always start however MB does not start on boot with all scheduled tasks with in MB removed..

The only way I have found to keep either from starting is to exit MB via the tray icon before shutting down.

I will not comment about the decision or wisdom to not have MB running at Windows boot other then to say that it is best left to the informed individual preference.

• Root Admin

Thanks SCR4514 as I believe you have described the current status pretty well. The clean removal would have removed the schedule but a new install would have put one back for updates. One would need to manually remove it. Please give that a try Eugene and let us know. This is how the product currently works and is not considered a bug. Whether or not the behavior will change in the future I'm not sure at this time.

Many thanks, SCR4514, your "workaround" does work and is more convenient than mine.

As for AdvancedSetup's suggestion that this behaviour isn't a bug, but a feature, I am not so sure... if it were a feature, why would it stop if one does what I described in my post number 8?

In any case, if the user unchecks the option "Start with Windows", this can only mean that he/she wants Anti-Malware not to start with Windows -- and that should be the end of the matter, I think.

You're welcome EugeneB I'm glad it worked for you.

I tend to agree that removing the start with windows check would indicate that you do not want the program to start. However, I sort of understand MB's thinking as well.

Not all users of the program take the time to inform themselves of the dangers of the Internet. So in essence MB has taken the steps to protect them even if they accidentally set the program to not start at boot.

I am very aggressive in determining what starts at boot. In fact the only program that starts, other then the required Windows system files, is my AV. I do not have an "always on Internet" because I use a cellular connection. When my computer detects a connection programs start on an as needed basis when there is no longer a connection they stop. It's not a plan for everyone but it works well for me.