Expensive error in Malwarebytes update

mickyd123us

Hello,

I am a premium member.  I recently got an update in the middle of the night that shut off my online protection.  In that short period of time a rootkit virus infected my computer.  One of the technical forums in malwarebytes has this warning.

BACKDOOR WARNING

------------------------------

One or more of the identified infections is known to use a backdoor, that allows attackers to remotely control your computer, download/execute files and steal critical system, financial and personal information.

Please disconnect your computer from the internet immediately. If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data, using a non-infected computer/device you should immediately change all account information (including those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal, online forums, etc). Consider these accounts already compromised.

If you have used a router, you will need to reset it with a strong logon/password to ensure the malware cannot gain control before connecting again. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach immediately. Please read the following for more information: How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Whilst the identified infection(s) can be removed, there is no way to guarantee that your computer will be trustworthy again. This is due to the nature of the infection, which allows the attacker complete control over the computer. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the Operating System. Please read the following articles for more information.

•When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?
•Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?
•Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?
Please let me know how you wish to proceed, and if you have any questions.

My tab is now at 260.00 for work done by my computer guy and after reading the above I have changed my passwords but am unaware of how to change my router password so that will be more money.  I am not a computer expert and have looked in the forum on what needs to be done to get rid of this virus and deemed it beyond my expertise.

I will now shut off my computer at night and probably use another product.   :(    .

I am sorry to see you having trouble.  However I think you are over reacting based upon a lack of information and knowledge of any problem.

This is exemplified by the statement "In that short period of time a rootkit virus infected my computer."

That seems to be a based upon, what I believe, to false perception of an event.  This is further evidenced by your choice of words "rootkit virus".

This starts with the fact that all viruses are malware and not all malware are viruses.  The subclass of malware that are viruses are a very small percentage of the malware we see Today.  The vast majority of malware are trojans.  Trojans and viruses are types of malware.  A sub-type of trojans are RootKits.

Saying one has a "rootkit virus" is like me saying I have a Ford Chevrolet.  Both are automobiles like trojans and virus are malware.  One can say they have a Chevy General Motors because Chevrolet is a division of General Motors.  That is akin to saying one has a RootKit trojan because RootKits are a type of trojan.

I suggest you open your mind, take a deep breath and forget what you have perceived based upon undefined event.

I also suggest you take advantage of the one-on-one free service of Malware Removal assistance that is provided in; Malware Removal Help

Please do NOT jump to conclusions until all the facts are in.  Conclusions based upon faux perceptions and incomplete information are premature and may lead to bad outcomes.

My tab is now at 260.00 for work done by my computer guy

I am sorry you had to go through that. As for the price I think you need another computer guy unless that was on site service.The experts here could have helped you for free and could have made the instructions super simple.

The warning you quoted most likelydid not apply to your computer since you never asked for help before you got someone local.

Malwarebytes is ONLY a supplement to an antivirus so you cant just blame Malwarebytes.

I recently got an update in the middle of the night that shut off my online protection.  In that short period of time a rootkit virus infected my computer.

Unless you were already infected and got triggered later or the cat is using the computer while you sleep, I wouldn't expect the short lapse of protection to be the cause.

Plus where was your anti virus program?

I will now shut off my computer at night

That is what I do and recommend to my customers for the last 12 years.

I have the Microsoft Anti-Virus protection.  I have had AVG, Norton, and MacAfee over the years.

I was getting the popup every 5-10 seconds indicating that SysWOW64 was looking to send my information out.  The paragraph regarding the Backdoor was from the Malwarebytes site.

I trust my computer guy as I have been with him for years and has well over a 100 5 star reviews on Yelp.  I'm thinking not all of the 100 people are neophytes, but who knows I could be wrong.

I did not have any warnings - after I turned the online protection back on and did a Threat scan, with rootkit checked - Malwarebytes did not detect it yet I was still getting the Malicious popup every 5-10 seconds.     

Plus where was your anti virus program?

Oh Pleeze.........

Sorry David,

I looked at some of the other threads regarding this and I didn't have days to go back and forth.  This was affecting my work and I am a mobile worker - I would get no sympathy from my boss saying I had a virus and couldn't do my work.

Sorry  I was Off Topic and everyone have a great day!!!! 

This was affecting my work and I am a mobile worker - I would get no sympathy from my boss saying I had a virus and couldn't do my work

When the sting from the current repair wears off, I would suggest an external drive and an imaging program like Macrium free to keep full image backups of your system so you can restore at a moments notice to your last backed up state.