64-bit Protection Module

Hello,

I recently bought MBAM and tried to start the Protection Module on my Vista Home Premium x64 laptop. I got error code 732 (0, 0) and began researching. I found a thread and this quote:

An x64-compatible version is currently in beta testing.

Would a member of development or support please give a rough estimate of how much longer the 64-bit module will be under development? The primary reason I purchased MBAM was for the real-time protection. Scheduled updates and scanning are a plus. However, they don't constitute $24.99 to me. Also, I believe this should be explicitly advertised on the product page of MBAM. Had I known it was not compatible with 64-bit systems I would not have purchased it as I only have 64-bit computers. Otherwise, MBAM rocks. :)

Thank you.

Ok. When I downloaded and installed the beta it worked fine. By fine I mean there was the mbamgui.exe process running with the M logo in the task bar. But, when I rebooted my laptop, during the OS load-up after I log in it just hangs after the M loads in the task bar. I rebooted into safe mode with networking and took MBAM out of the boot up via msconfig. Now, when I boot up Windows normally and I manually turn on the MBAM service via services.msc, it runs fine. The M logo is in the task bar and my system is running fine now. What can I get you to help you diagnose this problem? Remember I'm running Vista Home Premium x64.

• Root Admin

How do I prevent the Real-time Protection of Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 from scanning specific files or folders?

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/8/How-do-I-...EN-1038318.aspx

Trend Micro FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/consumer/Pages/FAQ.aspx

So, when you run the MBAMService manually from services.msc, do you also run the GUI application manually? If not, then how does the icon appear in the system tray?

Let's make sure what you are saying is actually what is going on. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and issue the following commands:

cd c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware (or wherever else you installed the program)

sc start mbamservice

mbamgui /starttray

and see if it hangs.

To save myself from downloading another application as I'm a software minimalist, here is a screen capture. Yes, all those in the image are the ONLY applications checked in the Startup tab. Were you referring to start up services as well? In that case I will download HJT.

post-13988-1242880856_thumb.jpg

post-13988-1242880856_thumb.jpg

So, when you run the MBAMService manually from services.msc, do you also run the GUI application manually? If not, then how does the icon appear in the system tray?

Let's make sure what you are saying is actually what is going on. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and issue the following commands:

cd c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware (or wherever else you installed the program)

sc start mbamservice

mbamgui /starttray

and see if it hangs.

Correct. I have the icon in the system tray right now after I manually started the service and my system is running fine. However, when I have it set to start automatically on boot then it hangs.

What I mean is: manually starting the service alone, if the GUI is not running, will not create the tray icon. The GUI creates the tray icon. Are you manually starting the GUI as well?

Ah, I see what you're saying. The exact process I used to get it running was that I went into services.msc and set the MBAMService to manual and started it. Then, I opened the application gui and went to the Protection tab and clicked the "Start Protection" button.

If you set the service to start Automatic but you don't start the GUI application, does it still hang on boot? Afterwards you can issue the commands:

mbamgui /starttray

at the command prompt to start the GUI alone manually. I suspect this will not hang, but can you please confirm?

If you set the service to start Automatic but you don't start the GUI application, does it still hang on boot? Afterwards you can issue the commands:

mbamgui /starttray

at the command prompt to start the GUI alone manually. I suspect this will not hang, but can you please confirm?

I can confirm that does not hang on the log on. However, when I run mbamgui /starttray from the application folder, nothing happens. The icon does not appear in the system tray and the command prompt acts like it's executing the command.

post-13988-1242882403_thumb.jpg

post-13988-1242882403_thumb.jpg

The memory usage is fine. Are there any error messages in the Event Log? Check the Applications log.

EDIT: they would appear after you run the 'mbamgui /starttray' command manually. I'm curious: when you run that command, does mbamgui.exe start and then die? does the service die afterwards?

Edited by Swandog46