Windows One Care

• Root Admin

Part of a script I wrote years ago before CCleaner or others were around.

While $PL <>''
If $PL
If Not InStr($PL,'.') And Not InStr($PL,'..')
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\' /S
If @ERROR DEL $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat' /P EndIf
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5'
EndIf
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Cookies\index.dat')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Cookies\' /S
If @ERROR DEL $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Cookies\index.dat' /P EndIf
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Cookies\'
EndIf
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\' /S
If @ERROR DEL $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat' /P EndIf
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\'
EndIf
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\Temp\*')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\TEMP\' /S
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Local Settings\TEMP'
EndIf
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\' /S
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache'
EndIf
If Exist($ProL+'\'+$PL+'\.jpi_cache\')
RD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\.jpi_cache\' /S
MD $ProL+'\'+$PL+'\.jpi_cache'
EndIf
EndIf
EndIf
$PL = Dir()
Loop

Guest victimized

@ Exile. You can set the cookie allowances of allowing third party cookies in internet explorer's advanced settings option if you want.

Edit: In this post, I am NOT telling people how to remove malware, just for the administrators.

@ victimized

did you see exile360 post?

Quote If setting her up as a limited user (which would prevent her from removing software) it would also prevent her from installing software, which could be problematic. Also, many security tools (like realtime AV apps etc) don't work well under limited user accounts, especially in XP.

@victimized: Yes, I'm well aware of IE's settings for privacy and security. I allow cookies though because they're generally harmless (and sometimes need to get through for certain sites to work). When I'm done using the net I run a batch script I created that disables my NIC, then turns off all of my security apps, stops their services, then runs Ccleaner to clean up. Then I'm free to game or whatever I want without having a bunch of unnecessary stuff running in the background.

Guest victimized

@ yardbird. I have read your last topic like 6 times already but this time i just read. Only AVG's link scanner/resident shield app didn't sometimes function properly on this xp, though still, I would rather stick with xp rather than vista since i have heard that it has a lot of bells and whistles that make it slow. Or, if you buy a Windows 7 you can set it up in XP Mode, where you could download stuff for xp, and will not work for vista downloads unless they are xp compatible.

Is Registry Mechanic from PC tools by any chance?

I have that too and Desktop Maestro and after I "fixed" some entries, I had a nice slew of issues come up.

Windows Installer popped up and I didn't have the disks to install the thing with so I uninstalled them, and when I restarted, another program insisted that it had to be re-installed by windows installer. I finally downloaded windows installer clean up tool and that seems to have resolved the problem.

I ended up getting rid of Sonic Update Manager (i think) Jasc Paint Shop something or other, and one other program. I don't think I even used those programs, so I don't think that it was a problem to remove them, but its very annoying that that happened. I just hope that I didnt' damage something.

I guess I will scrap "Registry Mechanic" there was a waste of money.

@ yardbird. I have read your last topic like 6 times already but this time i just read. Only AVG's link scanner/resident shield app didn't sometimes function properly on this xp, though still, I would rather stick with xp rather than vista since i have heard that it has a lot of bells and whistles that make it slow. Or, if you buy a Windows 7 you can set it up in XP Mode, where you could download stuff for xp, and will not work for vista downloads unless they are xp compatible.

@ victimized

I think you have me confused with some one else? let me know.... yardbird

;)

@mountaintree16: Yes, Registry Mechanic is made by PCTools. I'm honestly not much of a fan of their products or their advertising tactics. At one point the trial of Spyware Doctor was detecting FP's in order to convince users to purchase it, then once they did, the detections magically disappeared. They are also pretty resource hungry which is something I detest in a security program. You didn't hurt anything getting rid of the two programs you named, Sonic Update Manager is the updater for Sonic's buring program which comes preinstalled on most new PC's and isn't that great and Jasc Paint Shop Pro is a photo editing application, while handy, is only useful if you actually do photo editing, and even then most people prefer Adobe's products for that.