Standalone Adobe Reader versus browser plugin

hake

The proposition is that I am using MBAE Premium with the Adobe Reader shield DEACTIVATED and Adobe Reader XI is mitigated By EMET 4 (or later) with all mitigations (plus Deep Hooks, Banned Functions and Anti Detours) enabled.  I open a PDF document in my web browser (say Opera 12.17 or Google Chrome) and Adobe Reader (in protected mode as I ALWAYS configure it) does not crash.

Yet if I were to ACTIVATE the Adobe Reader shield in MBAE Premium then opening PDF documents in either a web browser (using Adobe Reader plugin) or using the Adobe Reader XI application would both crash Adobe Reader when it is running in protected mode.

This suggests that a different protection is provided by MBAE when Adobe Reader shield is enabled in MBAE Premium compared to when it is not.

I would have presented this follow-up question much earlier but it has taken some days for my feeble mind to compose it precisely and unambiguously.

I omitted to say that I infer from my observations with MBAE Premium that if the Adobe Reader shield is active then that shield takes precedence over the MBAE browser profile when the Adobe Reader plugin is in use.