Can't update database & popup won't go away

I have Malwarebytes Premium installed on two computers: one workstation and one laptop. As far as I know, they are identical. Sometme in the last couple of weeks, the messages in the attached screen shots started popping up on the workstation, but not on the laptop.

This one is the popup I get in the taskbar. If I click on the Update Now button, nothing hapoens and it just pops up again.

post-170493-0-78859400-1410562532_thumb.

This is what I see if I right-click the Malwarebytes icon in the taskbar. Note that the icon has a little yellow warning triangle. Notice also that the Check for Updates option is greyed out.

post-170493-0-23627400-1410562821_thumb.

This is what I see if I click on Open Malwarebytes. If I do this on my laptop, it says it's version 2014.09.12.08, so this one is not current. But if I click on the Fix Now >>> button, nothing happens and the popups continue.

post-170493-0-05032400-1410562832_thumb.

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Hi:

Just to be sure I understand correctly -- are all of those screenshots from the same, one computer, the "workstation"?
Or are you having updating problems on BOTH computers?

(It will be easier and less confusing to work with one computer at a time.)

A few thoughts:
The grayed out "update now" link in the GUI generally can be explained by one of 2 scenarios:

• There are "Detected Threats" that await your actions:  Click the "Scan" button at the top of the GUI and verify that there are no "Detected Threats" (especially PUPs or PUMs) that need your actions. If there are, the program cannot update until those are dealt with.
  • MBAM was installed from and is being run in a Windows Limited User account: MBAM needs to be installed from a Windows account with Admin privileges in order to set up & run the automated, scheduled tasks, such as automatic scans and update checks.
    • You don't say what version of Windows you run, but what happens if you RIGHT-click on the MBAM desktop shortcut > "Run As Administrator"?  Does that enable the "Update Now" button?

There are other causes for failure to update (such as software conflicts, e.g. with AV or firewall; incorrect system date/time; even malware).

Also, the computer's Windows power management settings will affect updating. The computer has to be powered on and "awake" in order to update.  If the computer is powered off or asleep/hibernating, it cannot update. Depending on how you have the scheduler configured to check for updates and to "Recover if Missed By", that could cause MBAM to try to "catch up" on outdated databases when it awakens.  You can try changing the setting for Settings > Update Settings > Update Options >  Change "Notify user if database is out of date" to 4 or 5 days.
(There is also a known issue with "stacking" notifications about out-of-date databases that is due to be fixed in a future version release.)

The best way for us to help you would be for you to post back with some basic system logs.
They would permit the staff to see what your MBAM settings are, and if they need tweaking.
>>>Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

P.S. Is this a business or work computer, by any chance?

Hi:

Just to be sure I understand correctly -- are all of those screenshots from the same, one computer, the "workstation"?

Or are you having updating problems on BOTH computers?

(It will be easier and less confusing to work with one computer at a time.)

A few thoughts:

The grayed out "update now" link in the GUI generally can be explained by one of 2 scenarios:

• There are "Detected Threats" that await your actions:  Click the "Scan" button at the top of the GUI and verify that there are no "Detected Threats" (especially PUPs or PUMs) that need your actions. If there are, the program cannot update until those are dealt with.

P.S. Is this a business or work computer, by any chance?

I tried to make it clear that the problem exists on just the desktop. I only mentioned the other computer to show that I have it running correctly on one machine.

Your suggestion worked. There were several threats that hadn't been dealt with. As soon as I took care of that, the Fix Now button did the update and it is now doing a scan.

This seems like a rather bad flaw in the UI.If the program is stalled because some action hasn't been completed, I would think it should say that. Just disabling itself seems unfriendly and unsafe.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

This is what I see if I click on Open Malwarebytes. If I do this on my laptop, it says it's version 2014.09.12.08, so this one is not current.

Sorry, but the above statement was a bit confusing.  I was just looking for clarification so that I could better assist you.

Yes, it is a known "bug" that I think is scheduled for a fix with a future release.  You are not the first person to have been bitten by it.

In the interim, you can avert this in the future by:

• Heeding the popup notification after the scan alerting you to the PUP detections. Unless you have notifications disabled (which is not recommended), there would have been a popup notification after the scan to tell you that the PUPs had been detected.
  • Configuring the settings so that PUPs and PUMs will be automatically quarantined (see attached screen shot).

I'm glad I could help.

Thanks,

P.S. FWIW, if this *is* a business computer (as suggested by the reference to a "workstation"), please be aware that use of MBAM on such a business system requires Business licensing. In fact, the Business version of MBAM is still 1.75 -- there is no 2.x for Business yet.  You can contact the Business support team >>HERE<< to sort out any licensing issues. :)

post-29793-0-66353000-1410576993_thumb.p

Thanks for the clarification.

Please be patient and allow the scan to finish.

If you are still having a problem after the scan, it would help to have a bit more system info:

>>>Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks,

The scan finished. I think I am fairly patient :) but the UI is again confusing. First it puts up a blue completion bar that slowly goes from 0% to 100%. Then it puts up the same blue completion field, but this time the blue bar sweeps across over and over. A single, simple completion bar would be much clearer. If this is not possible because there is more than one step, then have a checklist for each step and a completion bar for each one.

I'm rebooting now and Windows (XP) wants to install some updates. When it comes back up, I'll try it again. Again, thanks for the help.

Hi:

I haven't used XP for a long time, so I'm not sure what you're describing? :(

Perhaps you could post a screen shot?

>>If there's some sort of GUI bug, then we can report it to the team.

>>If it's something with your particular system, then the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs - would be most helpful to sort it out.

>>If it's normal behavior, then the best bet for prompt attention of the Product Team would be to post it in the "Comments and Suggestions" area of the forum >>here<<. (Again, a screen shot would be very helpful.)

Thanks,

It's a UI design bug, in my opinion, or at least a UI design deficiency.

When I start MBAM, I get the Threat Scan screen. It shows the steps that will be taken on the left. It would be clearer if this were labeled. On the right, it shows the scanner progress. I think most users would assume this progress bar would represent the status of the complete scan. It is confusing and misleading that it only applies to the current step.

post-170493-0-28669700-1410625485_thumb.

When the pre-scan completes, the Memory Objects scan starts. Now the Scanner Progress bar is completely useless and very confusing. This was my point above. Instead of showing the status (% complete), it shows a bar that sweeps across the field over and over.

post-170493-0-30176300-1410625486_thumb.

For the rest of the scans, the progress bar returns to showing the actual progress.

post-170493-0-38424100-1410625487_thumb.

post-170493-0-16097000-1410625484_thumb.

Here's my suggestion for a more user-friendly UI. My suggested changes are in red and numbered for reference:

post-170493-0-66689100-1410626875_thumb.

1. Add a title to the scan steps on the left. Things are not as obvious to everyone as they are to the developers and to experienced users.
  2. Add a progress bar showing the overall progress. Most people care more about the overall progress than about the progress on each individual step.
  3. Add a time estimate for the complete scan. This doesn't need to be all that accurate and it can be updated periodically. Most people just want to know whether it is going to be a few minutes, 30-40 minutes, or much longer. This is done frequently for defrag and other long-running utilities.

These are simple changes, but they would make the product much more user friendly.

Cheers

post-170493-0-05000200-1410625546_thumb.

CynthiaMoore, if you are still having issues with the program please post the three diagnostic logs as requested by daledoc1 in posts #2, #6 and #8 and I am sure someone on staff will be happy to assist you and help you resolve any issues you may have.

As far as your suggestions are concerned, it best to post those in the appropriate area of the forum.  Comments and Suggestions are handled in that section of the forum where they are reviewed by the staff and developers of Malwarebytes.  This is where your suggestions get reviewed and if the developers of Malwarebytes believe this would be a good change they will implement the change.  That being said, what works for one does not necessarily work for others. In other words they can't please everyone.

As far as the GUI while scanning, it makes sense to me, its has to scan each section on the left, before it can proceed to the next step, each completion of the steps is marked by a green check mark. ;)

As far as the GUI while scanning, it makes sense to me, its has to scan each section on the left, before it can proceed to the next step, each completion of the steps is marked by a green check mark. ;)

Oh, well then, if it makes sense to you, it must be fine. Uh, do you think it's possible that not everyone is as knowledgable or experienced as you are?

Hi, @CynthiaMoore:

We are not in front of your computer.
And -- at least for me -- it's been a long time since we have used the XP version of Windows.
We are only trying to help you as best we can.

To that end:
I'm sure the Product Development team will welcome your feedback and suggestions. :)

The interface for version 2 has been the subject of a lot of debate and feedback for nearly a year, when it was first made available as a beta.
But, as we have already tried to explain and as is requested by the staff >>HERE<<, such feedback to change the UI/UX would be more likely to be noticed by the team responsible for programming MBAM when posted in the "Comments and Suggestions" area of the forum.

This here is the *help* and * support* section -- so suggestions to change or improve the program are likely to be obscured by the "support" interactions in a thread started to resolve a problem.

So, once again, if you need more help with installing or running MBAM, we will be more than happy to help. It would greatly assist us to have the wee bit of system information provided by the requested Diagnostic Logs

Otherwise, we can only speculate, as we are not in front of your computer.

Thanks very much,

I have the same problem. Windows 7 using Chrome. The annoying 'Databases Out of Date' pop-up in bottom right of screen.

Also the 'fix now' button on the Dashboard does nothing.

This is a known fault for months. Why is it not fixed?

Please advise

Do you have unresolved threats? Follow the instructions from DaleDoc1 in hie first reply to me above. Quarantine the threats and the messages will be fixed.

As to why the bug hasn't been fixed for so long, who knows. Maybe when they get around to that, they'll also fix the rest of the UI. Or maybe not.

Hi; @edcull:

I have the same problem. Windows 7 using Chrome. The annoying 'Databases Out of Date' pop-up in bottom right of screen.
Also the 'fix now' button on the Dashboard does nothing.

Sorry to hear you are having issues.
Each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".
Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using this clickable cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,