Thanks for the list Ron! and the reply!

EDIT: How about Memory Sticks? This is a small town, pc repair techs here say its not needed. I know it may shorten the life of the stick? but it will run faster! Does anyone advise on which defrag program they use on Memory sticks. I called San Disk long ago. When they came out with that 4 packs of 32MB sticks... yep a while back. The results of the phone call, was: What do you want to do?" I must have had the wrong person. SO is Check disk & deffrag something to do? TIA

I erase and write to my USB flash drives so frequently defragging them would be pretty pointless. It may make them faster but it does reduce the life of them, as does reading, writing and deleting data from them. The biggest difference in performance I've noticed is the speed of the drive itself as some are much faster than others.

Since flash drives have no mechanics like regular hard drives and there is no faster or slower part of the volume defragmenting a USB flash drive makes absolutely no sense. In fact it's a bad idea since this reduces their life cycles, as exile360 pointed out.

Thanks for all your comments! I looked at almost all the defrag tools that "AdvancedSetup" posted above.... (Not to make a federal case out of this) In the FAQ's of http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/ is posted as follows:

Will JkDefrag reduce the lifespan of my flash memory disk?

Yes, all defragmentation/optimization will reduce the lifespan of flash memory disks (USB memory sticks, Solid State Disks (SSD), and such). Flash memory will get faster if defragmented, but does not gain much from optimization. My advise therefore is to use "-a 2" only, and only incidentally (not every day). JkDefrag does not usually process flash memory disks by default, only if you specify the drive letter on the JkDefrag commandline (for example "jkdefrag h:"), because they are usually seen by Windows as removable volumes. But I can't see how it would shorten life.... at any rate ... just wanted to post that question about USB mem. sticks... because when they 1st came out.. No one new about chkdisk Or Defrag on them? I tend to agree with the replies above about Is it worth defragging a USB stick.... thanks for all the comments above..

Hi folks,

I used to use Vista onboard Defragger ... but when it refused to defrag because it thought my hard drive was not fragmented enough ... I went looking ... I now use a combo of 2 ... 1st I run Auslogic and then follow up with JkDefrag GUI ... and I am happy with it.

But, Thanks to AdvancedSetup link and listing ... I can experiment with other ones.

BTW, you folks should try the Auslogic "Registry" Defrag program ... simple and to the point ... tried it just now ... A-OK!

G! :P

Well the Defragger does work on Vista. maybe safe mode? True AdvancedSetup does have a nice toolbox! Three. I haven't found anything that works good on the Registry? except "regedit" - myself Does Auslogic "Registry work on XP? maybe well get more input later..

Anyone else besides me use this program? http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/ I'd like to hear about it... I've had good results with it....

PS: vicimized! sent you a pm about that pic software...

I've never used it. Have Diskeeper, installed it years ago; forgot about the whole process. hah.

Quick Subject Change I saw a thread by AdvancedSetup about Dr. WebCureIt... ( it was for someone else) I never saw that program before... A complete scan picked up two F/P's (both put in by dell & ms) Nice little tool.... ?? anyone else, comments?

I use Dr Web quite often here. It does have a HIGH FP rate but does not require an update and loads and runs faster than most of the other AV scans.

Not a surgeons tools for sure but if it whacks a FP it quarantines it normally and you can put it back.

But some of the weird stuff on some of these boxes need a high heuristic check to find some of it. But on your own box you might want to trim back the heuristics to a lower level.

I've used CureIt for cleanups as well and I agree with AdvancedSetup's comments. It's a good little tool, just verify the detections for FP's. I also use Norman Malware Cleaner (also updated quite frequently), TM Sysclean and Kaspersky's AVPTool. No need to run them all, but they each are good for offering a second opinion when scanning for viruses.

thanks for the tips & advice.. I did verify the detections for FP's with:

http://www.virustotal.com/

http://www.virscan.org/

http://www.threatexpert.com/ all came back clean!

One was a gtdownde_110.ocx in: C:windows\system32 even though it was in Quaratine, pc still ran ok.

but I put it back, someplace it said it was a dell file? well I'll add that one to the toolbox.... thx.

... I also use Norman Malware Cleaner (also updated quite frequently), TM Sysclean and Kaspersky's AVPTool. ...

Hi exile360,

What does TM Sysclean Stands for!?!?

Thanks,

G! :P

@exile360

I don't recall where we/me? posted that topic on using Windows Defender? But I just installed WD this morning. Dropped all the mbam drivers & files + The Trend Micro Internet Security files in the exception list of Defender... Works Good! Went to spycar & spynomore. Windows defender poped up a window. :P

EDIT: posted that in the general forum......

Yup, it's a nifty little tool. As long as you have Defender set to the defaults it won't block anything MBAM needs to do as it's set to only block something if it's positively identified as malware in its database (which none of MBAM's files or processes would be). The only program I have to set exclusions in (aside from my firewall) is Kaspersky, simply because it can slow things up a bit if scanning everything that my other security apps' processes are doing.

It Won't block mbam? my my ... So I put all that "stuff" LOL in the trust area of Win Defender for nothing! another learning experence... thx. for the tip! :P

No big deal, it might speed things up a bit anyway. What Defender does with an unidentified process that does something low-level that could be risky is create an entry in your event viewer, which would certainly eat a bit of horsepower briefly, but it seems negligable, at least in my experience. The only times I've seen it really slow things down is when updating HostsMan because Defender monitors changes to the hosts file so it's watching it the whole time it's updating and makes the update process take a bit longer.

Guest victimized

A-Squared Anti-Malware was also a good one I have used for, it found a bit more viruses that MBAM did, though because it wasn't designed to find the viruses anti-viruses miss, like MBAM. Other than that, when turning on all the features of their real-time protection it becomes a bit bloated.

It stands for Trend Micro SysClean. It's a command line virus scanner offered by Trend Micro.

THANKS exile360. Command Line application ... way above my comfort level ... so, I am staying away from this one! :P

G! :)

@gonwk

DO NOT run this or post back a log. This is just a canned message to show you how it's run.

Please download and run the
Trend Micro Sysclean Package
on your computer.

NOTE!

This scan will probably take a long time to run on your computer so be patient and don't use it while it's scanning.
  • As an example on 2009-06-05 the files to download are:
    sysclean.com
    |
    lpt173.zip
    |
    ssapiptn777.zip

• On the Spyware Pattern page scroll down to this section:
    Detection and Cleanup (Trend Micro Anti-Spyware)