Sign in to follow this  
chimpy

Cleaning up my files

Please DO NOT give such advice to run more than one Anti-Virus software program. How you use your system is up to you. Anti-Virus programs are not designed to work together and will cause issues for most computers. This will be your last warning on the subject. I realize you wish to help but giving bad advice does not help those that are already having issues with their computer.

Besides that, SUPERAntiSpyware isn't an anti-virus and doesn't work like one, it's an anti-malware application similar to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :) . 2 AV's, even with one disabled, can cause conflicts (again, this is because of kernel mode drivers etc that most of them use and that load even when the AV is set not to run automatically).

Guest victimized
Besides that, SUPERAntiSpyware isn't an anti-virus and doesn't work like one, it's an anti-malware application similar to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :) . 2 AV's, even with one disabled, can cause conflicts (again, this is because of kernel mode drivers etc that most of them use and that load even when the AV is set not to run automatically).
I know superantipspyware is like malwarebytes, was just trying to show an example. While I used to use the bundle of AVG, BitDefender, Malwarebytes, and Avira I had no problems. Just disabling the realtime protection or whatever they call it stopped it from lagging my system.

Edit: Forgot not to give advice. This is just how I ran my system once. Windows xp.

Guest victimized

@Exile. How do you use so many anti-viruses/anti-spyware/anti-malware?

Generally my biggest concern with multiple AV's isn't lag or system slowness, it's the potential for driver based conflicts, which can occur on some systems while not occuring on others due to different third party software, different hardware drivers and different versions of an OS (XP, Vista ect) plus what Service Pack their running. It's a lot of factors to account for and kernel mode drivers in conflict can easily cause blue screens.

edit:

@Exile. How do you use so many anti-viruses/anti-spyware/anti-malware?

I tested this configuration thoroughly and I manage it using tools like Autoruns etc to make sure nothing is in conflict. I test the PM's of all the software to make sure things work as they should and they do. When a threat tries to get in, Kaspersky gets first shot at it so if it detects it and I have it remove it, none of the other tools will react. If Kaspersky misses it or I have it ignore the threat and the others get at it BoClean is next in line to have a shot at it, if it misses or I have Boclean ignore it Windows Defender and MBAM can hit on it at the same time, but if I have one of them ignore it, the other is able to remove it successfully. If it gets past MBAM and Defender, SAS hits it and can remove it. If TeaTimer/Spybot gets it, it's just blocked silently, the same of course for SpywareBlaster and HostsMan since they're passive methods of blocking. The way Windows Defender works is only to react if it positively identifies a threat, the same is true for MBAM, BoClean and SAS. Where conflicts often arise is when tools guard the registry or check every file individually (instead of just checking processes in memory). Kaspersky analyzes each file, the others just sit back and wait for a positive ID. Tools like SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor (which I don't use) are very different and can in fact cause serious lag when used alongside other software, even though they aren't AV's. A lot of it is about understanding how the tools work and what they do and do not do, which takes research and testing.

Guest victimized

@Exile. Have heard that blue screens are usually caused by registry problems. Anyways, I haven't ever had one. Except when my pc was infected with a lot of viruses (that time before it got burned) i used to sometimes get this blue screen loading stuff I don't know and it had this ext in it: $150

Anyways, my computer still started up after two minutes of that.

So you've never seen the imfamous BSOD caused by drivers leftover from Norton after removing it and installing McAfee or vice versa?

Guest victimized

@exile. It was nothing like those you mentioned, it did that only 3/4 times when i started up my pc when it had viruses, it was a different generated script. Anyways, it's been a long time I haven't had that since my pc was reinstalled.

Edit: lol we have been going off topic, lets stay with the topic.

I think that when I do change I will just pick the one main AV and keep the other on demand scanners for a weekly/monthly scan, otherwise I will just get confused!

Guest victimized

I think that when I do change I will just pick the one main AV and keep the other on demand scanners for a weekly/monthly scan, otherwise I will just get confused!
When saying "main anti-virus" are you talking about the one with the block/prevention features? I would buy Avira, because of their best detection rate.

block/prevention? I presume so, What I mean is the AV that you install that runs in the background to keep the computer safe.

I wont be buying it, just using the free version, Might be a awhile before I do it, I am not unhappy with AVG just in no hurry to change *see lazy and complacent!

Understandable. By no means would I call AVG bad, just it's detection rates aren't the best, but it is a decent and widely used free av ;) . In the meantime if you ever want to double check with an on-demand scan you can use Kaspersky's free online scan to double check your protection ;) .

Understandable. By no means would I call AVG bad, just it's detection rates aren't the best, but it is a decent and widely used free av ;) . In the meantime if you ever want to double check with an on-demand scan you can use Kaspersky's free online scan to double check your protection ;) .

Thanks for that :) I used kaspersky 7 to scan when I thought that I had something last time, Advancedsetup told me to and I was most impressed with it!

I will bookmark that link.

Thanks victimized, I will take a good look at that too:)

I know this is off topic but I posted my HJT log a day or so ago and no one has of yet seems to have had a look at it, sorry for being pushy because I really am grateful to MBAM, this site and the people on it for all there help...I just worry alot ;)

They'll get to it ;) . Just don't bump your topic because it makes them think that another expert already replied to you and it takes them longer. Unfortunately the wait time can be a bit long around here lately because there aren't too many that work in that forum, but those that do are among the best I've ever seen ;) .

Thats great thanks, I noticed a lot of people posting there and it got pushed to page two quickly so that worried me people might miss it, but I wont bump it! ;)

I had a tracking cookie found by AVG 8.5 resident shield, nothing bad the site was a good site, its was a triblefusion cookie so I deleted as when I went to heal it is said "some files cannot be healed, file not found" AVG said it was in my \Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low Files which I dont seem to have. not even in my hidden files.

Any idea why?

Also the resisdent shield doesnt pick up that cookie everytime....its more like it spots it once in every 20+ vists! and the virus vault is sometimes empty when you delete it even though it should be there (I have got the cookie a few times testing this!)