Oh no real problem just trying to get my files down, Ive 2 GB HD and 1.33 is used which mates have told me is a alot for what I have one here :)

I downloaded tree size to locate where they all are.

Then through looking at my files I noticed that all PC's have some hidden files and that you can hide them yourself and I was just worried that AVG 8.5 might not scan hidden ones but it seems that they do!

sorry about the misunderstanding! :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I see now your going to scan the hidden files... OK I would be careful with those. A 2 GIG HD... Its time for a bigger HD. My two notebooks came with a 30 & 40 gig. I went to tigerdirect.com & bought two western digital 80gig drives... Then bought Norton Ghost. and moved them from the stock Dell's to the one I bought. Good luck with those hidden files. Let us know how things come out please! later

Whoops I got that wrong, thats my ram that 2 gbs, my HD is 222gb with 144gb free! which is lot more than I thought!

I must scan the hidden files every time I run a scan which is everyday so those files must be ok! and I know not to remove them.

Whoops I got that wrong, thats my ram that 2 gbs, my HD is 222gb with 144gb free! which is lot more than I thought!

I must scan the hidden files every time I run a scan which is everyday so those files must be ok! and I know not to remove them.

ok thanks for the reply. glad to see things are working out for you! yardbird :)

Guest victimized
AVG seems to say it does scan hidden files

http://www.avg.com/faq.num-1215#faq_1215

AVG free=does not scan hidden files, you can get a free rootkit scanner, but it is old, so it is now a bit useless. So, get AVG Internet Security Trial. Don't worry, you can uninstall it when it expires, but it is still expired even when you install the trial again.

I think I will mostly likely change my AV soon then if people dont rate AVG, between avast and avira which is the most highly rated?

all I use the computer for is a little downloading from YT with downloaderhelper, a few games some that are online and general browsering.

I use spybot ad aware and superantispyware alongside MBAM so I need no conflicts with those :)

avira I liked the short time I tried it. I tried the free one. It picked up a low level trojan on a scan (gave me a sound bite to notify me) and it said it was ok to remove. I've hear good comments about avist but never used it... I used AVG 2 yrs. ago. But to many stories started about AVG.... read the websites & system requirements you don't want to fill up that free space you worked so hard to get.....

Guest victimized

My first anti-virus (i have never bought an anti-virus) was AVG, recommended by someone on a game site. Later I got SAS free. Then I got MBAM. Then I got BitDefender trial of Total Security but uninstalled it because of space usage and the system got slow and i was having problems with it going to uzood.com. I had also used Ad-Aware, but i heard that it deletes other essential files and can mess up a system. So I uninstalled it. Now I am with BitDefender free, Malwarebytes, and Avira. My sister used to uninstall all of my anti-viruses at times because they made my computer slow, which is why I turned off Avira's realtime protection.

Guest victimized

@AdvancedSetup

Thank you for your advice but I already know that I shouldn't. I can't handle myself with one anti-virus. I am cautious about how to choose anti-viruses. Anti-viruses like SuperAntiSpyware and BitDefender conflict with each other. So far, no conflict problems.

All I've heard suggests both Avira and Avast! are light on resources so the choice (if choosing between the two) comes down to a few factors. Avira has better heuristics meaning it's more likely to catch new threats, but this also makes it more prone to false positives. I'd say if you're tech savvy and you check to verify the detections, use Avira, but if you want something more "set it and forget it" go with Avast! (keep in mind this is only assuming you want to use a Free AV and not pay for one as my recommendations are quite different if you're buying :) ).

Guest victimized

@ Exile. When installing Avira it will ask to put on realtime protection (i forgot what it was called). You could choose no and it won't lag your pc, since it doesn't pick up those active viruses.

You could, but if it loads drivers they could still potentially cause conflicts. Of course, if your run it portably as an on-demand scanner (as I do) it creates no startup entries, services or drivers, thus no conflicts :) .

When your pc starts go to the CP & you be the admin. password protect yourself. Let your sister get her own icon, will that work?

Will that be a problem? When windows starts, you use a password to login. And she has her own? y/n?

If setting her up as a limited user (which would prevent her from removing software) it would also prevent her from installing software, which could be problematic. Also, many security tools (like realtime AV apps etc) don't work well under limited user accounts, especially in XP.

Guest victimized

Am ok now, if i become and admin on my comp and set a password she's gonna come start yelling blah blah and then she is going to say "he's messing up my computer" (in armenian), so i am better off like this, although she won't uninstall them anymore.

Yep im going down the free route :)

thanks for all your advice, im going to look more in depth later on when I have time!

one last question though, would downloading a new AV then disconnecting from the internet and removing AVG and then installing the new one be the best way of doing things?

Guest victimized
Yep im going down the free route :)

thanks for all your advice, im going to look more in depth later on when I have time!

one last question though, would downloading a new AV then disconnecting from the internet and removing AVG and then installing the new one be the best way of doing things?

If you have a firewall, you don't need to disconnect from the internet. If I were you and if I still liked AVG, I would download another anti-virus. It would be BitDefender Free Plus (I use the regular free BitDefender), or it would be Avira free. Avira has the best detection rate in the world. Which would you prefer most?
Guest victimized

But wouldnt having two of them just make conflicts?
No, it matters on which ones. For instance, I remember at one time superantipsyware was conflicting with BitDefender, but I think it got fixed. You could just try my combination plus avg, go with malwarebytes, AVG, BitDefender free, and Avira free.