Sign in to follow this  
chimpy

Cleaning up my files

I seem to have alot of files on my PC, I dont use it for much more than browsing and playing games but I downloaded tree size free edition and scanned my C drive and I seem to have 128,647 files which a few mates have told me are alot!

I had a look through some of the files and in one instance I have 492 files for footsteps on one of my games :P

indexing only accounts for 3,444 extra files...so does anyone have any tips or clue where I start?

There are a bunch of us + myself who use http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ but I would be careful and if you change or check any boxes that comes with the default settings. Well, read the Help files, and they have there own forum.

I also use this http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/ but I've heard no comments about it... but both work ok for me! Make sure you have a backup! ....regards YB

EDIT: the defraggler should make your pc run just a little faster... If you use it? Go up to the top Menu bar under Action & drop down to advanced then over to the right run those 3 tools after you Analyze down at the bottom left & Defrag... ok!

Guest victimized

Hi Chimpy, you should first try defraging by opening up my computer, right clicking on the local disk, selecting properties, and selecting disk defragmenter. This may take a few hours depending on your processor speed and mostly because of your files. If you want to see how many files/folders you have in the my documents, right click on the my documents desktop shortcut, select properties then click general, it will tell you how much space these files take up and how many files and folders in your my documents. Then go to your my documents and delete any pictures, word documents e.t.c. that you don't need, DONTdelete anything with system file written under it or anything you know you didn't put in your computer. Other ways to conserve space is to lower the recycle bin space, it is set to use 10% of your hard drive memory by default, right click on it, select properties, and lower this to a low percent, as long as more than at least one gig remains.

Guest victimized

Also Chimpy, if you want to delete your flash/shocwave game files go to C:\Users\(what your username is)\Application Data\Macromedia then look through the flash one and shocwave one, it will probably be mostly covered with flash game .swf's.

If you're going to use Ccleaner you should probably get a version not bundled with a toolbar. They have several options available here. You may also want to download winapp2.ini, it's a file you extract to the program folder for Ccleaner and it adds some extra entries for logs and temp files of other programs that Ccleaner doesn't clean up after by default. You should also open Ccleaner and click on the Options button on the left and then click the Advanced button and uncheck the option next to Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours. You can also use ATF Cleaner. It does a very good job of cleaning unnecessary junk :P . If you want Windows to clean up some of it's own leftovers you can also run the following command from the Run command on the Start menu or from a command prompt:

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351

Guest victimized

Forgot chimpy, you could also use disk cleanup located in start>all programs>accessories>System tools>Disk cleanup

Thanks for all your advice, I use ccleaner everyday so the temp files is always empty and the computer is set to defragg every month, I deleted the games on there that I no longer play and that got rid of 20,000 or so files!

my winsxs has over 32,000 files in it but most if not all seem to start with x86 so I dont think those are deletable :P

I shall go through it with a fine tooth comb and hopefully get the files down more.

Thanks

Guest victimized

I also forgot chimpy, most of the time when you uninstall a program it makes a backup of itself in the local disk in the my computer and in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and look for the file names of those programs and just delete them.

Just to comment, since I saw you mention the imfamous winsxs folder DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES OR FOLDERS IN WINSXS!!! It could make your OS unbootable, break installed programs and wreak general havok, but also keep in mind that it will get larger every time you install a new program or new version of a program and will most likely never decrease in size, so if you're like me and you're always installing new stuff to try it out, do a backup of your data and reformat every once in a while so you start with a fresh new (and much tinyer) winsxs folder :P .

Here's a list of links with additional info about the WinSxS folder:

Ah right! It did think it looked to important to tamper with! :P

I wont be touching my reg just incase I mess it up victimized im not that good with computer!

I mostly will just uninstall progs i no longer use to get the files down, I think that looks the safest route.

Though my AVG seems to scan less items than I have files. Is this because a item might contain many files?

Yes, because AVG (and most other virus scanners) check each individual file within an archive such as a .zip, .rar or .cab file as well as the files within installer packages (the setup files used to install programs) :P .

Thank you for that!

I also noticed that AVG a few days ago scanned 70000+ items then the day after scanned 50000+ items then the day after scanned 70000+ items ;)

I will have to keep a eye on that :P

Guest victimized

Also chimpy, go to your program files sometimes in the my computer and delete folders of some of your uninstalled programs or go to your registry and delete any thing named after a program/file you deleted/uninstalled.

Thanks I've just done that! its surprising how much rubbish is left after you think you have uninstalled it! :P

Are hidden files scanned by my anti virus?

I havent hidden any files myself so all the ones that are hidden will be by the computer so I wont delete them.

Guest victimized
Are hidden files scanned by my anti virus?

I havent hidden any files myself so all the ones that are hidden will be by the computer so I wont delete them.

What anti-virus are you using, say the full name of it, like Avira Premium Suite 2009.

EDITAlso, I recommend downloading glarysoft's free registry cleaner at glarysoft.com and running it. When it finds the problems, inspect all the problems it found by double clicking on it and reading it.

I use AVG 8.5 I presume it scans hidden files whether im in admin or user, least I hope it does!

Guest victimized

I use AVG 8.5 I presume it scans hidden files whether im in admin or user, least I hope it does!
If it is free version, no hidden objects (rootkit) scan. Try getting a trial version and uninstalling AVG Identity Protection off of it, it slows down your comp.

So it doesnt scan the hidden files? is that what the greyed out rootkit box is for? I personally have not hidden any files so the only ones that are there came with the installation of the computer, is it worth me worrying that these have been at risk? I have never had a serious infection just a few tracking cookies here and there.

Guest victimized

So it doesnt scan the hidden files? is that what the greyed out rootkit box is for? I personally have not hidden any files so the only ones that are there came with the installation of the computer, is it worth me worrying that these have been at risk? I have never had a serious infection just a few tracking cookies here and there.
Chimpy if you still like AVG over other better antiviruses that scan rootkits, go to avg.com, click downloads, and download AVG Internet Security. Uninstall AVG first NOTfrom the control panel, do it form the start menu. Reboot, then go to avg.com, click downloads, then download AVG Internet Security. This scans rootkits and includes online shields, a firewall, a system tools panel, and something else i forgot i think. It will expire in 30 days. After you have downloaded it, go to the control panel and uninstall AVG Identity Protection because what that does is it scans the directories of you computer for any active infections. It slows down your computer, so uninstall that portion of it.

I might get another AV that scans for rootkits soon, I was just wondering about AVG 8.5 scanning hiddens files thats all really.

AVG seems to say it does scan hidden files

http://www.avg.com/faq.num-1215#faq_1215

Hidden files

The hidden files are by default not visible in Windows, and some viruses or other threats may try to avoid their detection by storing their files with this attribute. If your AVG reports a hidden file which you suspect to be malicious, you can move it to your AVG Virus Vault and send it to us for analysis.

Pardon? :)

I'm sorry, I thought your pc was at 100% you still have problems? PS: how big is that HD of yours?