Can't run or reinstall Malwarebytes

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit, and I transferred my Malwarebytes Pro key onto it from my old laptop some months ago. Everything has seemed fine until recently. Last night, I noticed that my MBAM notification icon was not appearing in the right end of my taskbar (I had set to always show), so I tried opening MBAM, and it asked for permission, which I granted, but it did not open. I've tried using Chamelion, and all thirteen attempts failed. I ran a boot-time scan and full system scan with avast!, and both came up clean. Then I uninstalled MBAM and tried reinstalling it, but the installation flashed me with several runtime errors, and I am still unable to start MBAM. I also tried a system restore, but that gave me a message saying that it was unable to restore.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, Firefox has been occasionally freezing up and forcing me to reboot for the past few days.

Hi:

I also tried a system restore, but that gave me a message saying that it was unable to restore.

Using Windows System Restore will often break security applications, including MBAM.
So it's advisable to perform a clean reinstall after rolling back the system.
The instructions for performing a clean reinstall are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
It might be worth a try.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT,
however, you also mention that you were unable to restore the system and that you are having problems with other programs.
As such, it sounds as if the computer could be infected or damaged from an infection or other problem.
The sort of work needed to diagnose and fix it cannot be performed in this sub-section of the forum.
So, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the preliminary steps to take to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will guide you through the scanning, cleanup & repair process.

Thanks,