What happened to Quick Scan?

Just to add to this...

The new scan names are a bit confusing to those of us used to the naming scheme in MBAM 1.75, but this should help.

Threat scan ==> quick scan

Custom scan ==> partial or Full scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.

Hyper scan ==> Flash scan (only available for registered PRO users).

In addition to @Firefox's always-excellent, always-expert advice: :)

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/Scan.html

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Cheers!

Boy am I confused.

I thought Threat Scan was equivalent to the old Full (or Complete Scan).  The description states "Our most capable, comprehensive scan.  It looks in all the places malware is known to hide"  That sure seems like a complete scan.

Whereas Hyper Scan says "Quickly checks your system for active threats.  If anything is found, we recommend running a Threat Scan afterward".  That sure seems like a quick scan.  The word quick is even in the description.   And it only checks three areas vs. five for the Threat Scan.

If the Threat Scan is indeed like the old Quick Scan that means there really is no complete scan, per se.  Regardless I think some new descriptions are needed.  As they are written they are confusing.

edit:  I selected Quote for Firefox's reply but as you can see no quote was included. 

In addition to @Firefox's always-excellent, always-expert advice: :)

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/Scan.html

ALSO, for additional information:

There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF

And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Cheers!

yes - it might be worth noting that these additional documents don't use the word "quick" at all. I might suggesting adding in some easily search able article about both quick scan ( and its new name ) as well as an image of how to reach these options. I do see the text

"Once you have executed a scan, the program refers to this screen as the Main Menu. Don't be confused by the name...it is a menu in the sense that you may choose a type of scan to execute from this screen, but it is not a main menu for Malwarebytes as a whole."

but a picture would have gone a long way when I was scanning through documents looking for a quick answer.

From a UI point of view, I might recommend using a button that is consistent with the other buttons you use in that area. For example:

KXq4DLr.jpg

I think the difficulty I had in finding this button was compounded by a few factors:

1) This area is used for advertising during the scan. My mind basically flags this area as inactive space, and stops paying attention to it.

2) Clicking the "scan" button at the top, and the scan from the main page don't take me back to the scan main menu. This lead me to think that I was seeing all the options available.

3) The main menu button does not call loudly enough for attention, even though it is the next logical step to starting a scan. It is low contrast compared to the other possible actions I can take on that screen.

4) You have trained me as a user to click green things to take action. I am looking for a green thing to click.

Just some random thoughts. hope you find them of value.

To add further to the confusion on all my systems a Threat Scan and Hyper Scan scan the same amount of objects and take the same amount of time.  Which does not seem to correlate with their descriptions.  That is not how the old Full and Quick scan worked

Also, in 1.75 a Flash Scan (supposed equivalent of Hyper Scan) would be done in seconds.  As I said on all my systems a Hyper Scan takes as much time as a Threat Scan (because it scans the same amount of objects).

I posted this before.  If this is indeed how they are supposed to act there is no way any equivalence between these scans and the old scans can be inferred.  They are different.

Hi, @bru:

This is @kcroy's topic.

And it appears that you have your own, open topic here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/156316-malicious-website-protection-disabled-fixed-but-still-concerned/

It looks as Firefox had requested that you post some basic diagnostic logs -- those logs will greatly assist us in helping you with your issues.

We can also work with you there to explain how scans are named and how they work.

That way, both you and @kcroy can receive individual help, perhaps with less confusion for everyone.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding, :)

Hi, kcroy:

Thanks for your helpful feedback and suggestions. :)

Yes, the new UI/UX did take some getting used to, even for us "old timers".

It's not bad, once you learn your way around.

There is a new product version in development now, with many enhancements and bug fixes.

I am confident that the support documents, including the User Guide and KB topics, will be updated accordingly.

Both @Firefox and I are just forum volunteer helpers.

In order for your suggestions to achieve optimal visibility for the MBAM Product Development team, without their being buried in a "support" thread, you might want to post them in a new topic in the "Comments and Suggestions" section of the forum >>HERE<<?  <Just a suggestion> :)

Thanks again very much.

Cheers!

Hi, kcroy:

Thanks for your helpful feedback and suggestions. :)

Yes, the new UI/UX did take some getting used to, even for us "old timers".

oh im sure its harder for us old timers :) Things aren't where we are used to seeing them.

I will move my suggestion over the forum area you suggested.

Thanks for your help!

Yep.

I hear ya'.

Trust me, as any of the forum regulars will tell you, I was one of the old fogeys who complained long and loud about some of the changes. :D

We do expect further improvements to the UI/UX with future versions.

The important thing, though, is that, under the hood, 2.0 is more robust that 1.75.

Cheers!

@daledoc  I thought I had something to add so I did.  I participate in a lot of forums.  Apparently this one is different.

As for the thread I started I don't really think it has anything to do with this so I am unclear as to why you mentioned it.  But since you did I will say that since it appears to be about a problem with the program I am waiting for someone from Malwarebytes to respond. 

edit:  I am moving on.  I will say someone commenting on the UI and the function of the scans didn't seem like a "support issue" to me.  It seemed like a comment which would make it I open to more...comments.  My error.  I appreciate all the help this forum provides.

@bru:

Yes, it is a forum. :)

However, when it comes to support issues, each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized.

In most cases, it is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

Otherwise, both helper(s) and user(s) become confused about who is replying to whom and about what.

Moreover, a "fix" for one user's computer could break another user's system.

Before long, there are often many, many folks posting in one thread with what turn out to be different problems that only sound the same.

It can get very messy and very confusing.

So, it is most often advisable to try to keep support threads somewhat separated.

In our experience here, it most often works out best for everyone.

(And in the malware removal sub-section it is necessary that only the Topic Starter and authorized the helper reply in a thread. That is for safety.)

As you already have an open topic and your helper was waiting for your reply, I merely pointed you back to it as a reminder.

(Folks sometimes lose track of their topics or forget to reply).

We only seek to provide you and all the users with the best possible, efficient support.

That is all. :)

Take care.