kjhume

Malwarebytes causing Blue Screen of death at random

Have been dealing with a persistent, random BlueScreen of death (BSOD) for months on the primary PC in our home network.  No other machines connected to the network show any BSOD.  Primary, but not only error has been 'bad pool caller'.  Finally gave up and took machine to local repair shop....the machine did not BSOD a single time over a week while being tested in the shop.  Upon returning home I removed all machines from the network with exception of problem computer and experienced random BSOD same as always.  Removed Malwarebytes and replaced with Windows firewall and Avast antivirus.  I've not had a single BSOD since removing Malwarebytes over two weeks ago.

What do I need to do to bring Malwarebytes back on to the machine without creating random BSOD.  Machine / network details include -

Netgear WNDR 3800

Dell Studio XPS - i5, 8GB RAM

Win7 64 bit SP1

Any suggestions on what I can do to make Malwarebytes compatible with this machine/network?

Thanks!

Hi:

BSOD are usually caused by hardware problems, driver issues or sometimes malware (e.g. rootkits).

(FWIW, both of my desktops are Win 7/64 Dell XPS Studio models, and my laptop is a Dell XPS15 Win 7/64 -- I have no BSOD issues.)

If you are experiencing this on multiple computers on your home network, then the best bet might be to open a ticket directly with the Consumer Help Desk here, for one-on-one, free help via email: Contact Consumer Support.

Otherwise, the staff will need to see some basic diagnostic logs from your computers.
It might be best (and least confusing) to start with one computer at a time:

Here are the steps for basic troubleshooting and preliminary logs (other data might be needed later, but this is a good starting point):

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

The other thing that might help would be the actual "stop codes" from your BSOD. 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

P.S. Aside: You mentioned that you "replaced" MBAM with Avast/Windows Firewall.  For clarification, MBAM is NOT an antivirus or a firewall, and does not replace either of those. It is an anti-malware tool designed specifically to run alongside and anti-virus and firewall. :)