Sometimes you have to wonder how people can mess up their computers so badly... :wacko: I decided to help a friend out with their laptop because they said it was having issues. Took it home, booted it up, realized right away I might be in over my head. Tons of really weird processes running in the background, all these programs installed that look suspicious, and networking is completely broken, neither wifi nor wired connection goes through- error comes up for Diagnostic Policy Service not running. I gave up on that and decided to just install CCleaner (I always use this to clean out unnecessary files and obvious unwanted programs before scanning), MBAM, and Avast from a flash drive, and deal with it later. Well Avast wouldn't install at all because Base Filtering Engine wasn't running and refused to run.  I googled the issue and tried the following, to no avail: giving "Everyone" Full Access to BFE in regedit, downloading and running ServicesRepair, downloading a clean BFE, and downloading a clean MpsSvc. So I gave up on that for the moment.

At first, MBAM wouldn't run so I had to use Chameleon, and I ran a Custom Scan to include rootkits and all drives. Found 36 infected files. Unfortunately, a log file was not saved (even though the option was checked, so I'm not sure what happened) so I can't post it  :(  All I can give you is a list of what was quarantined:

hundreds of PUPs and Security.Hijack

Trojan.FakeAlert.ASC

Rogue.InternetSecurityEssentials

Trojan.BHO

Adware.OneStep

Trojan.Agent

Adware.GamePlayLab.

Computer was still giving a lot of issues and Services were still messed up so I ran the same scan again, this time in Safe Mode (didn't think of it earlier). 96 infected files were found this time, and the log file didn't save again.

Quarantined:

Trojan.RotBrowse

Trojan. RotBrow.A

Hijack.Regedit

and also hundreds of PUPs and Security.Hijack again

Ran the scan one more time in Safe Mode and no infected files! It actually saved a log file this time, too. It probably won't help at all, since I seem to have removed all infections (knock on wood), but here is the log file from the 3rd/final scan:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malwarewww.malwarebytes.orgScan Date: 8/30/2014Scan Time: 7:26:59 AMLogfile: mbam.txtAdministrator: YesVersion: 2.00.2.1012Malware Database: v2014.08.27.05Rootkit Database: v2014.08.21.01License: FreeMalware Protection: DisabledMalicious Website Protection: DisabledSelf-protection: DisabledOS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1CPU: x64File System: NTFSUser: (xxxxxxx)Scan Type: Custom ScanResult: CompletedObjects Scanned: 821084Time Elapsed: 12 hr, 42 min, 44 secMemory: EnabledStartup: EnabledFilesystem: EnabledArchives: EnabledRootkits: EnabledHeuristics: EnabledPUP: EnabledPUM: EnabledProcesses: 0(No malicious items detected)Modules: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Keys: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Values: 0(No malicious items detected)Registry Data: 0(No malicious items detected)Folders: 0(No malicious items detected)Files: 0(No malicious items detected)Physical Sectors: 0(No malicious items detected)(end)

I'm not sure what to do now...I went back to regular boot and BFE/DPS are still broken. I tried to run the ServicesRepair again but it didn't help. Ran SFC /scannow and no integrity violations were found. I'd like to not wipe the computer clean and/or fresh install Windows 7, if possible (I don't have their repair disk, anyway). I've run out of ways to word my google searches to find the answer  -_- Hopefully you guys can help me here! Thanks!

Hello stellaxtine and :welcome:

Since you believe the computer is probably still infected and malware removal actions are not permitted in this sub-forum, I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

If you would like to get off to a very fast start, the Malware Removal Experts would appreciate it if you would also Copy and Paste both the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt output diagnostic reports from only Log Set 1 into your new topic.

Thank you. :)

Hello stellaxtine:

Please continue working with your excellent Malware Removal Helper, kevinf80 until your system has clearly been declared all clear.

Then you should be able to recheck your system's total functionality.

Thank you. :)