Task Manager not always on top

LWJ

Hi:

I'm afraid we would need a bit more information about your system in order to better assist you - e.g. what version of Windows do you have???

Please follow the instructions and post back with all 4 logs (2 from DDS (if you are not running Windows 8.1) and 2 from FRST) attached to your next reply.

They will provide a starting point to help answer your question.

Until then, here are few links (but the answer depends on whether it's XP, Vista, 7, or 8):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/troubleshoot-task-manager-problems

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/150812-task-manager-always-top.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/49138-task-manager-always-top-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/224448/windows_task_manager_troubleshooting_tips.html

Thanks,

--------------------

STEP 1
Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.
If you are running Windows 8.1, please skip this step.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

STEP 2
Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

From what I can gather the PC is windows 7 and just did the latest windows update yesterday. Did not surf any web or install anything. Thats all I know at the moment. I will need to ask the PC owner tomorrow.

Do you mind telling me if it is something serious or is it just a normal windows conflicting issue? Since as from what I heard malwarebyte did not pick up anything.

Alas, I have no idea.

I have never heard of that problem until you mentioned it.

In any event we cannot tell without at least basic diagnostic logs.

Did you read any of the links that I mentioned - they probably explain more? ;)

It might be best if the owner of the computer creates an account here at the forum and asks for help directly.

It can be very confusing and complicated for everyone to get help "second hand" for a computer that is not in one's physical possession.

<just saying>

I have seen it before on some PC whereby if you checked and unchecked the 'Always on to' again, the task manager will remain on top again. Though I don't know the reason.

As for the owner posting herself, it is not quite possible she prefer to let me search out the answer and tone it in a manner that doesn't cause her to paranoid. She is rather paranoid to the point where it sometime is rather tiring to deal with.

So asking her to download those things might be a bit problematic. If she refuse is there any other way?

Oh and I have read the links and most of it talks about the function while some explain the more commonly seen problem people experience which doesn't seem to be related to this. Though I did manage to learn new things from it :-)

So asking her to download those things might be a bit problematic. If she refuse is there any other way?

No, I'm afraid it would be overly complicated, at least for me.

Another member might be willing or able to do so.

Please be patient..

It might be a while before someone else can assist you with diagnosing and fixing another person's computer without physical possession of it or the ability to provide diagnostic information. :unsure:

Thank you,