MBAM not working again on a win 8.1 system

I am posting again because after 3 days of not opening MBAM its not working again, here is a screenshot 

I also ran Procman and here is the log you requested

post-2278-0-70533500-1409239016_thumb.jp

I don't know if it might help or not, but I posted in the forum about this happening to me on a couple of occasions. It happened on more than a couple of occasions, but I only posted about it twice because the stock answer was to use MBAM Clean and reinstall, which like Ken, I found only worked for a few days.

Anyhow, the last time I reinstalled MBAM, I didn't enable the explorer context-menu setting. It must be over three weeks now and I haven't had a single re-occurrence. Just thought I'd mention this as I'm also using MBAM on a Win 8.1 pro 64-bit machine. Might or might not be relevant.

Nice, lets see what they have to say about this.  When I go online without MBAM protection enabled  I feel like I am walking down my street naked :)

I am just stating on how much I love MBAM , the best program bar none that has come down the pike in long time and I feel a bit vulnerable going online without it working and protecting me 

Hello Ken,

How is the program today?  Let me know.

The unable to access server is ( likely ) an issue of a 3rd-party firewall ( non-MS) or the antivirus interfering with the program functions.

That's when we suggest putting in trust settings in that app's whitelist ( settings for trusted applications).

If no joy, a clean uninstall and a new install for our program.

Keep me posted.

Cheers.

I have ZoneAlarm firewall installed but MBAM had permissions to access the internet, so this is not preventing updates 

When I load MBAM daily, no problem, the program loads with no problem and can do updates and scans,  Why does this happen when I don't open MBAM for a few days ?????

I have already run MBAM Clean and did a reinstalled MBAM

I start my computer each morning, leave it on for most of the day unless I need to be away from it for a few hours, then I will shut it down or if I am not away I will shut it down at night before I retire

Reading from your old topic, seems to me you had more than one prior version ( over time) of version 2.  So I am suggesting a special run for a new clean install.

Matter of fact calling for 2 runs of mbam-clean.

This all won't take a great amount of time.  But before you start be sure you have saved your License Keys.

{ and excuse the overly detailed writeup}

NOTE: SAVE the downloads to your system first.
Do not "run" them while in the browser program.
When presented with the option to Run or Save, you must select Save.

1: Please perform a clean uninstall before reinstalling the latest version. Do not use Windows Add/Remove Programs. Instead, please download and run "mbam-clean.exe" from the link below:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

Right click on mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001.exe  and Run as Administrator

2: After running the program, it will ask to restart your computer. Please allow it to do so (this is very important).

Next, repeat the clean-removal tool a 2nd time:
Repeat the  mbam-clean-2.1.1.1001.exe for a second run so that all old traces are removed.

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus
If you need how-to guidance, see => How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114351

3: Download and SAVE to your system the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/getmbam

Now run the setup:
IF your Windows is Vista / Windows 7 / 8, then do a Right-click on mbam-setup-2.0.2.1012.exe and select **Run as Administrator** and allow to run.
Answer YES when prompted by User Account Control ( Windows ).

When all finished, turn back ON your antivirus program.  Then provide detail on how it went.

Once all is well, go into the Anti-Malware program and be sure that at least you have a Update task in the scheduler.

You should have 1 run at least once a day.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, just want to make you aware that I also have MBAE on this system, also have it on a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop and MBAM runs and loads with no problems

I went a bit beyond your instructions

I deleted MBAM Clean from my desktop and downloaded the latest version from your link

I deleted MBAM Setup from my desktop and downloaded the latest version from your link

I ran MBAM Clean not twice but three times, rebooting after each run

I then went to Program Files and also Program Files (X86) and the only folder related to Malwarebytes was MBAE, so that folder for MBAM was gone

I then went into Regedit , HKLM and also HKCU and there was no entries for MBAM but there was for MBAE

Disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and shut down Zone Alarm

Installed the latest version of MBAM, entered my ID and Key and activated the product

It said a scan has not been run so I ran the threat scan after it updated it....no threats where found

It seems that if I open MBAM each day it runs fine with no problems, it just seems like I have problems if I dont open it for  few days

So this is where I stand , thanks again for your help with this

Hello Ken.

That is certainly a lot more than asked.  OK.  Let me only ask for a mbam-check run.   And I'd like to be sure that the database is current.

Download mbam-check.exe and save it to your desktop    from  http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check
On Vista/Windows 7, 8, Right-click on **mbam-check-2.1.1.1001.exe** & select Run as Administrator & allow to Run when prompted by User Account Control.
On XP,Double-click on **mbam-check-2.1.1.1001.exe** to run it.

Do have patience while the tool runs.  It may take a while, and will flash a command prompt window.  And then it will start your text editor ( default is typically NOTEPAD).

It should then open a log file CheckResults.txt.  Just attach it.   Thanks.

I need to apologize about the first question I asked on the daily Windows shutdown. 

Now then, on the ZoneAlarm firewall I would suggest to be sure that it is the very latest version. I do recall some  two  or three years ago, there was a issue where ZA did not play well with MBAM due to some of the odd things that ZA had.

Therefore, I'd also suggest to tweak the ZA settings so they have MBAM exes in the whitelist ( trust settings ).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I have MBAM Pro on my Win 7 Ultimate laptop and have ZoneAlarm installed also and no problems there

I keep ZoneAlarm updated and every entry related to Malwarebytes has full permissions

You didn't say if I should have MBAM open prior to running MBAM Check, this is with the program closed, if you need me to run it again with the program open I can do that

the database is showing v2014.08.31.02

CheckResults.txt

No need to have mbam.exe set to be in compatibility mode in windows.  Please see the following key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

and delete this value

also, set the task for Threat scan to -not- check for Update prior to start of auto-scan.

Take a look inside the program. Start the Anti-Malware. Click on the Settings icon at the top bar up at top.
Then click the **Advanced Settings** button at the left.
Be sure all top 3 lines on that window are check-marked ( selected ).

Now a couple of changes for each of the Update task & the Threat scan task in the Scheduler.
Click on **Automated Scheduling** button.

Locate and click once on **Check for Updates** line and press Edit. Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }
A few changes are needed.
Look at the "starting time" of the task and use some good time when you know that your computer will be on & powered & that Windows would be on at that time.
Look at the line in Schedule Options. UN-check "Show notification after successful update".

In the Frequency and Settings. Select Hourly and I suggest using the Recurrence at 4 hours.
In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

Locate and click once on the Threat Scan line and press Edit.Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }

In the Schedule Options, put a check-mark on the line Terminate program when no threats are found
{when no malwares are detected you want the scheduled task to close}.

In the Frequency and Settings block.
You should have Daily and the recurrence set to 1 day.
now UN-check the line Check for updates before scanning {{that line should be always off otherwise the task may not run at the time set. It maybe run +/- 15 minutes of that period.}

In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

When completely done, close the window.

A fresh Windows start would be good to do at this point. Use Logoff and Restart Windows.

These all have access in ZoneAlarm

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

I went into MBAM Properties and unchecked Compatibility mode for windows 8

Opened this with Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

This value was not listed

All the other setting you had me change are all done, rebooted and doublechecked them again and they where saved

Thats fine Ken.

One small thing, and it is not mandatory ( & is unrelated to the issue you had):  turn on the right-click context menu in Windows for MBAM app.

Start the MBAM. Go to Settings >> General Settings

and mark YES for Explorer context menu.

I believe we have covered & made sure that the setup is clean.  You have set the trust exclusions.  You've covered the Scheduler tasks.

You may want to keep your eyes out for a few days, in reviewing the scan report logs and seeing the scan info.

Done.

I think what I may do is start MBAM every day for a few days and then just leave it be for about 3 or 4 days and see if this issue comes back

I will keep you posted

Sad

I have opened MBAM everyday since I last posted on 8/31 and it all was fine.  Last night I opened it and it was fine, ran the threat scan and it found no threats so I closed out MBAM and retired for the night, this morning I opened it and the same problem returned, 

post-2278-0-30685900-1410096372_thumb.jp