Outside organization posed as Malwarebytes with phone number to call for help

I had a problem loading Malwarebytes Premium on a second computer.  When I attempted to go to the Malwarebytes website a help screen came up with a toll free number to call for help.  I called the number and the group posed as Malwarebytes support to "help" me with my problem.  They person on the phone then started to "show" me all types of threats on the 2nd computer that I needed to have removed before loading Malwarebytes......at a cost of $170.00.  Feeling suspicious, I declined.

Has anyone else had this issue?

That is interesting information.  However it was posted in the wrong place.

This sub-forum is specifically for submitting samples of malware that as of the time of submission Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) is not detecting it/them.

In this sub-forum the type of malware that is submitted is of the Rogue (fake)  anti malware/anti virus, SmitFraud and those associated with cryptovirology and ransomware.

Your post is more in line with the MBAM support sub-forum; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help

• Staff

I'm reopening and moving this post to the correct forum

Although David was correct that this was the wrong sub-forum to post this in I'm wondering if you could provide us with a bit more information. We would like to know the phone number and the website url that was presented to you.

To work around the issue you could save MBAM Premium to a CD or USB stick to move it over to the second computer and install it from there.