confuse over purpose of public and home network

LWJ

I know you need to have home network to join or create a homegroup but it seem both home and public can turn on file sharing, if so what is the point in choosing between the two if both have basically the same setting and is allow to use file sharing?

It is really simple.

A "Private", "Home" or "Work" network allows sharing and lowers the networking security because it is presumed in thse locations others are more "trusted".

A "Public" location means you can't trust other network users and networking security is made stronger and sharing is not allowed.

I have read most of the links before I post this question. Most of the links merely explain when to choose which connection but they didn't explain when to the diffence.

A "Public" location means you can't trust other network users and networking security is made stronger and sharing is not allowed.

You said sharing is not allowed does it mean it is being forcefully enforce or is the user allowed to turn it on? If user is allowed to turn it on isn't it the same as "Home" location?

When you said network security do you mean firewall setting?

You said sharing is not allowed does it mean it is being forcefully enforce or is the user allowed to turn it on? If user is allowed to turn it on isn't it the same as "Home" location?

When you choose a "Public" location the OS disables File and Print Sharing.  It would be imprudent to enable it in a "Public" environment.

When you said network security do you mean firewall setting?

No.  I mean acting in and a part of a network both on the Intranet level and on the Internet level.