recent windows updates causing bsod for some

Shrugged

The most recent Black Tuesday, Windows Updates have caused some issues. 

The bad patch went down the Automatic Update chute on Black Tuesday, and the first report of a BSOD appeared on the Microsoft Answers forum on Wednesday. The report correctly identified one of the botched patches as KB 2982791. It isn't clear how many people are affected, but reports are springing up all over the Web. As of 1:30 a.m. Friday, Redmond time, it doesn't look like Microsoft has done a darn thing.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/users-find-fix-botched-kb-2982791-and-kb-2970228-windows-update-248476

On my rigs as of today I'm no longer being notified that KB 2982791 and KB 2970228 are available.

Hi:

Interesting that the BSOD reports took a while to bubble to the surface.

I routinely watch the MS forums, SF.com and a few other places for 12-24 hours or more before installing any "Patch Tuesday" updates.

It was all pretty quiet last week, so I took the plunge; as always, I install updates in small batches.

And I had no issues on any of my 3 boxes with that group, although those particular patches DID take a very long time to configure and install, with a required reboot.

And one of them -- 2970228, I think? -- hardly seems "important", as it was only a patch to update to the new Russian ruble currency symbol????

(IOW, unless one deals with rubles, one could probably hide that patch????)

My systems have been fine since then, but that would be cold comfort to those experiencing the BSOD issues.

Sometimes, especially in the aftermath of Patch Tuesday, those fruity computers beckon. :D

Thanks for reporting!

as mentioned elsewhere in these forums ; waiting to install the MS updates until field/beta tested by *others* might just be a good idea .

i am curious as to why certain comps are affected and others are just fine ... and the numbers .

Greetings everyone,

Just my "3-cents" here regarding the latest "Patch Tuesday" update problems.

According to what I've read, there were 4 updates released:  KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719, and KB2975331.

Although, my updates occurred on 8/13...the only aforementioned updates that are being shown installed are KB2982791 & KB2970228 (both listed as successfully installed).  I have no idea what happened to the other two updates, nor have I received any notification they are available.  As DD1 mentioned above, the update process did seem to take a longer time to complete than usual, with the typical reboot afterwards.

I've not experienced any problems with my computer since the updates...fortunately.

A couple of questions I do have, which perhaps someone can enlighten me on are:

1.  What could have happened to the two updates that are not showing up in the installed updates list?  (All updates in the listing going back quite a ways are showing as successfully installed - no problems listed).

2.  Are the aforementioned missing updates cause for any major concern (given that I've not experienced any problems with my machine since the updates)?

Much obliged for your time and any feedback!

EE

It appears there are now 2 threads going for the same issue: :)

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/155328-now-were-asked-to-remove-2-or-4-august-12th-ms-updates/

Perhaps the mod team will merge them?

If you check the links to the MS KB in the other thread, you'll see the current, official recommendations and the current status from M$ (pending further updates from them).

The recommended course of action depends on whether you are or are NOT having problems. :)

Thanks, :)

Thanks very much for the follow-up, DD1!

I did some more digging around and from what I'm reading, those two missing updates I referenced, don't appear to be applicable to my Win 7 computer.  Just glad I am not having the problems a lot of others seem to be.

Thanks again! :)

EE

Yes, the other 2 are for a different platform, as mentioned here: MS KB

Yes, we are lucky.

I didn't have any issues on my 3 boxes, either.

But many people couldn't even get into Safe Mode to delete the font cache file or the offending updates.

It's hard to imagine how a font cache could bring down the entire OS.

Another M$ "tour-de-force", to be sure. :angry:

I have to stock up on BP meds, antacids, sedatives, ethanol and wigs every "Black Tuesday".

A simple resource for discovering any particular issue(s) with the then current batch of 'patches', and for deciding whether or when you should install any, is HERE. It's especially useful for the novice and the time-starved.

The most recent problematic 'patches' were reported as problematic on that site on August 14th. Over the years, I've found that Mr. Leonhard has been consistently timely with his reportage. He advocates a wait and see approach regarding WUs, as do I.

Hi:

Yep, I used to subscribe to his newsletters.

Good resource. :)

Glad to learn he is still around. :)

This last batch didn't hit the fan until at least 2 days after Black Tuesday.

I always wait at least 12-24 hours, watching several forums, but after that, it becomes a risk-benefit calculation.

I know some folks routinely wait until SATURDAY of Black Tuesday week every month, but that ruins a weekend. :P

There was nothing "obvious" going on Wednesday, so I took the plunge, as I needed to get patched before leaving town (with my Win7/64 LT!).

I guess I dodged a bullet.

But, M$ screwed it up yet again:

First, that Ruble patch was NOT important or security-related, it should have been optional.

Something definitely borked with that 2982791! The font cache should not have taken down the OS.

And their lame and tardy response was WORSE THAN USUAL.

<rant off>

Thanks for the tip. I will bookmark it. :D

Hi:

Yep, I used to subscribe to his newsletters.

Good resource. :)

Glad to learn he is still around. :)

This last batch didn't hit the fan until at least 2 days after Black Tuesday.

I always wait at least 12-24 hours, watching several forums, but after that, it becomes a risk-benefit calculation.

I know some folks routinely wait until SATURDAY of Black Tuesday week every month, but that ruins a weekend. :P

There was nothing "obvious" going on Wednesday, so I took the plunge, as I needed to get patched before leaving town (with my Win7/64 LT!).

I guess I dodged a bullet.

But, M$ screwed it up yet again:

First, that Ruble patch was NOT important or security-related, it should have been optional.

Something definitely borked with that 2982791! The font cache should not have taken down the OS.

And their lame and tardy response was WORSE THAN USUAL.

<rant off>

Thanks for the tip. I will bookmark it. :D

Glad you'll find it useful, dd1. :)

Generally, I wait a couple of weeks after notification by WU to install.

Exceptions -- if there's an update that addresses an immediate exploit threat, the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, and the junk-mail filter.

MS will err and/or not foresee effects; it's inevitable. The number of users guarantee it. Hopefully they're working their hardest both to minimize problems and at being as transparent as possible when issues arise. Current and future competition demands it.

Overall, I've had a good relationship with MS Windows.

Enjoy your trip. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The saga concerning KB 2982791 continues.

MS has replaced that KB with KB 2993651 (which I'm being offered -W7 x64) that is reportedly causing problems for some (including W7 users).

As of early this morning, one Windows 8 user was reporting black screens with the new patch, KB 2993651. Answers Forum posters pacman10, JohnBurgessUK and chadlan can't get Windows Update to check for new updates after installing KB 2993651 (although rseiler reports all's well). It's too early to tell for sure, but there may be more problems with the new patch.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-ships-replacement-patch-kb-2993651-two-known-bugs-249342?page=0,0