Customized Scan Names

webwerker

What I'd like to suggest is that you give the user the opportunity to give a name to any customized scans they create. As it is, as you know, any custom scan is named, with the greatest precision, "Custom."

Users who have never created a custom scan or have only created one will probably not see this as an issue at all. In my case, however, I have created more than one custom scan. I have done this mainly to get around what may be a bug or may be normal behavior or..., whatever it is, it is ambiguous.

Because I don't like stuff happening behind my back, I have chosen to have both PUPs and PUMs set to be detected and treated as malware. By doing so, what I thought would happen is that they would end up being quarantined and not just reported in the log. Some of these things are so tricky that they are listed under users who don't exist and can't be found in the registry, at least by ordinary means or even with some advanced registry editors that enable searches by ID, parts of strings, etc. The entry reported by Malwarebytes just doesn't exist in any obvious way. Maybe they're in an archive or backup, etc., and, if so, Malwarebytes should tell me so.

However.... The only way I have found to flag both PUPs and PUMs as malware and so be quarantined is to build a custom scan because the "custom" button in the Custom Scan settings window will let me select both PUP and PUM. When the custom scan runs, they are reported and quarantined.

Unfortunately, none of the default Malwarebytes scans produce this result even though I have both selected under the Detection and Protection setting. This is why I've had to construct several Custom scans, basically to reproduce the default scans but with the addition that they detect and quarantine PUPs and PUMs.

And so, for me, in my case, it would be helpful to be able to give a custom name to custom scans. Thank you for giving this a high priority just for me!

Oh, and by the way, when I am creating or editing custom scans, Malwarebytes crashes frequently.

I have never had the program installed before so it hasn't overwritten an earlier version. I am using version 2.0.2.1012 on Win 7 Pro.

just tested with a quick scan (Hyper scan)  here and they show as enabled  in the log after scan

Memory: Enabled

Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Disabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Hi, webwerker:

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Until the product team has a chance to respond, a couple of things come to mind.

First:

The different types of scans were renamed in version 2, and it has caused a bit of confusion.

"Flash" is now "Hyper"
"Quick"
is now "Threat"
"Full"
is now "Custom"

Second:
Hyper scan is available only to paid, PREMIUM users and is not routinely needed or recommended -- if anything is found, a subsequent Threat scan will be needed anyway.
THREAT scan is the most important and most useful scan -- it is the one that ought be run on a regular basis (daily is the default setting now in 2.0).
Custom depends on what drives, folders and files are selected -- routine use of a "full" system scan is neither necessary nor recommended, as it's a task better suited to your antivirus.

Third:

There is a known cosmetic/logging bug in the current version that affects some users.

Despite having configured the settings to treat PUPs and PUMs as malware, sometimes the scan logs don't reflect that.

This is on the list for a fix.

That might partially explain the behavior you describe.

Finally:

The log from any scan (manual or scheduled) can be exported as a .txt file with any name you choose.

Open the dashboard > history > application logs >> double-click any scan log you wish to open it for editing > click "export" > "export to .txt" and you will be prompted for a file name and desired location.

>>>If you would like assistance with configuring or running MBAM, please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic in the support section, >>here<<. :)

I hope this helps!

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

webwerker,

THANK YOU!  The best way to determine what customers want and need is to solicit feedback.  Some is good, and some is not, but all is appreciated.  Some requests may be in the works, and for those that aren't, we get the opportunity to take in the ideas, think about them, and for those that have merit, argue for them on your behalf.  Without your input, none of that can happen.  You do need to realize (as do I) that change doesn't happen overnight, and everything must be prioritized, but a good argument (with examples) goes a long way in helping that process along.  Thank you for your input!

Thanks everyone.

I think some points are being missed. If I select, in general settings, that I want both PUP and PUM to be treated as malware, a reasonable person would assume that any hits would not only show up in the logs (which I realize can be opened as a text file - but why can't you just highlight the entry and copy the registry path?) but would be quarantined as well. This does not happen. Perhaps this is an incidence of the scan reporting items that have already been deleted.

Also, I am using the premium version. not sure why that's relevant.

However, my main point was that it would be nice to be able to add a descriptive name to custom scans created by users so it is obvious at a glance what it's configured to do.

Thanks for your consideration.

Eric

Hi:

Thanks everyone.

I think some points are being missed. If I select, in general settings, that I want both PUP and PUM to be treated as malware, a reasonable person would assume that any hits would not only show up in the logs (which I realize can be opened as a text file - but why can't you just highlight the entry and copy the registry path?) but would be quarantined as well. This does not happen.

It's my understanding that if you have the Detection and Protection settings configured to treat PUP/PUM as malware, AND if you have auto-quarantine enabled (Settings > Advanced Settings), that PUP/PUM detections should indeed be auto-quarantined.
If that's not the behavior you're seeing, then you might want to start a new topic in the MBAM support section for someone to help to sort this out. :)

However, my main point was that it would be nice to be able to add a descriptive name to custom scans created by users so it is obvious at a glance what it's configured to do.

A good suggestion. :)

Thanks again for your suggestions and feedback.

Cheers,