Another New Thread - Same Problem!

Occasionally, upon waking up my computer, MBAM Pre throws up a bubble message above the System Tray saying my database is out of date. I have no problem with that. But when I click the update button, the error bubble goes away then immediately, MBAM throws up another out of date error message. Click again and sometimes it throws up a third. All in a matter of a couple (maybe 3) seconds.

From my [non-programmer] end, it "appears" to me MBAM is very impatient, unwilling to wait until a connection can be established to your servers, the update downloaded and installed. That is, when I click the update button, while going out to fetch the update, it is also rechecking to see if I have the latest, and not finding it installed, tosses up the error bubble again.

Mind you, I have a very fast cable connection.

I think you need to build in a small delay timer (60 seconds is plenty) that starts when users click the "update" button that prevents MBAM from checking and/or tossing up the error again until 60 seconds later, and the update has had time to install.

Occasionally, upon waking up my computer, MBAM Pre throws up a bubble message above the System Tray saying my database is out of date. I have no problem with that. But when I click the update button, the error bubble goes away then immediately, MBAM throws up another out of date error message. Click again and sometimes it throws up a third. All in a matter of a couple (maybe 3) seconds.

From my [non-programmer] end, it "appears" to me MBAM is very impatient, unwilling to wait until a connection can be established to your servers, the update downloaded and installed. That is, when I click the update button, while going out to fetch the update, it is also rechecking to see if I have the latest, and not finding it installed, tosses up the error bubble again.

Mind you, I have a very fast cable connection.

I think you need to build in a small delay timer (60 seconds is plenty) that starts when users click the "update" button that prevents MBAM from checking and/or tossing up the error again until 60 seconds later, and the update has had time to install.

Hi, Bill.

Is this occurring only when waking up the computer?  I think it might actually be multiple (past) notifications.

Assuming by Pre you mean one of the Beta versions, yes, version number would be nice, as well as OS, and your sleep / hibernate / method (specifically, if Hybrid sleep / Hibernate is allowed).

What version number of MBAM are you using?

Assuming by Pre you mean one of the Beta versions

No, sorry to you both. Is there an accepted abbreviation for MBAM Premium? I used MBAM Pre thinking I was in line with MBAM Pro. I have MBAM Premium 2.0.1.1004.

I think it might actually be multiple (past) notifications.

That could very well be, but in that case, I think it is still a problem (annoyance at least) because this time I was away from the computer for maybe 45 minutes. It goes to sleep after 20. I don't think it should keep tossing up the same error over and over again just because the user is not there to respond immediately. One persistent error message is fine. By "persistent" I mean it stays until cleared, rather than repeats over and over again).

• Root Admin

1. Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue or not. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. Please try installing the new beta which has corrected some previously reported issues: - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2 Public Beta
  3. If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs
  4. NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here: - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank You

Sadly, it happened again this morning. 3 separate popups, one after the other, telling me the DB was out of date. Note the computer was up and running all day Saturday and most of Sunday so no way was the DB more than 1 day old (the setting to yell at me when DB is out of date). Also note the 2nd and 3rd notice were not hiding behind the first. They only pop open after the previous closes.

It seems to me there needs to be a switch (or whatever coders call it) that says if the users has not responded to the first notice, stop sending new notices until the first is acknowledged.

Also note I rarely ever shutdown or power off my computers - they just go to sleep. And about the only time I reboot is when an update requires it.

FRST.txtAddition.txt

This is happening to me, multiple times a day. Is there some kind of fix?

Mine only happens once a day so not sure it is the same problem. Regardless, I have purchased several copies for all my computers, kids, and other and will not hesitate to recommend it anyway.

I will not buy this program again.

That's a bit hasty. This is a minor annoyance that does not impact security.

If you don't try it that is your problem.

??? :( My problem? No.

I don't simply change default settings (especially with security programs) without any reason given. Hence me asking, "why?" Now your reasoning is to see if I stop getting the warning. I don't think you understand the problem. I don't have a problem being notified my database is out of date. In fact, I welcome that. I have a problem getting 3 pop-ups in immediate succession telling me the db is out of date. I only need 1 - especially when my response to the first pop-up is to "Update now".

Since I rarely ever go more than 16 hours without using my computer, 1 day is the right setting, and makes sense to be 1.

The setting I believe may be causing this is the "Frequency" to Check for Updates. I have it set to every 4 hours. That said, I also have "Recover missed tasks" unchecked. That tells me if a 4-hour check fails for whatever reason (for example, because the computer is sleeping, powered off or off-line), Task Scheduler will just skip it (the scheduled task), and wait for the next scheduled 4-hour check to come around on the clock.

I wonder if that setting is being ignored as it appears each of the missed 4-hour checks start when the computer wakes again.

I give up trying to reason with this person as he does his own thing and won't even try something. There is a similar person on a Win 8 newsgroup and everyone stopped trying to help for the same reason.

I give up trying to reason with this person as he does his own thing and won't even try something.

Reason? You just bark out orders and expect others to simply follow without providing ANY reasoning! Then you have a tissy fit and toss out comments like, "its your problem", "this person" and SHOUTING if the target of your "personal affront" wants some background to your suggestions. :(

Do my own thing and won't even try something? Yeah right! When requested by AdvancedSetup, I totally uninstalled MBAM, installed an unreleased "beta" version, and posted logs - that's me not even trying something!

You've given up on me? Great! And thanks, as I'd prefer not to hear from you again anyway.

Thanks Ron.

I have run and posted the diagnostics logs (including Addition.txt again) but note I rebooted yesterday afternoon and did not receive any warning popups this morning. Perhaps these logs can be used as a baseline, and should the problem return, I can immediately run new logs for comparison.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

• 2 months later...

I find that MWB 2.0.2 throws up an out-of-date warning immediately when win8.1 pc comes back from sleep, and continues to throw the warning every time I clear it.

If I open MWB the link to get updated is INACTIVE? (Greyed out!) Clicking on it does not update, but it does put MWB into a state where I cannot close MWB using normal methods, task manager, or even Process Explorer with admin rights.  If I use Unlocker on it, I can get it to close with Process Explorer.  Then restart MWB and the update link works.

This is bad.  I'm thinking of finding the little graphic warning (decompiling! OMG!) & replacing it with a 1 pixel .jpg I won't see & will ignore.

OR I can just ignore the warning & lose the real estate of the warning and in about 20 minutes MWB will update, but the Nag still needs to be manually cleared.

This appears to be an easy problem for a coder to fix.  Why all the hub-bub, hair pulling, confusion and arguing?  Nonsense.

Just fix it, MWB.  Thanks.  Good product.  Keep it up.

Hi:

Well, I am not having problems with MBAM locking up, but I still frequently get the repeating "Nag" bubbles. :(

Since your last post was 3 months ago, AND as your last set of logs show an older version of the program, let's start fresh:

A couple of easy things to check:
>>First, please be sure your system date/time are correct.
>>Then, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions. It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating the new build as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE. Please post back if you need help with that.
>>Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.

Then, in order to get updated to the current version of the program (2.0.2.1012), I suggest the following:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

See old thread.

Sadly, someone closed my old thread when it clearly was still active and being worked as recently as yesterday. :( So I am forced to open a new one.

As requested, I have run mbam-check. However, only CheckResults.txt was created so that is the only file attached.

CheckResults.txt

Hi:

I presume it is a problem with database updating?

I'm not sure why your other topic was closed -- it may have been an error.
Sorry about that.
(The mod team may wish to merge this post with the previous one; or not. ;) )

Thanks for the CheckResults.txt log.
However, in order to have a better picture of what might be happening, we would need to see both logs from the other tool, as well.
Please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3  OTHER TWO requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

You might also want to set mutual exclusions between MBAM and your AV.

To add the AV folder to MBAM exclusions, please refer to the attached screenshot (which shows *my* AV, of course, as an illustration).

For MBAM files to add to your AV, please see below.

Please post back with both FRST logs when you're ready.

EDIT: One quick question -- is MBAM installed to the default directory or to a custom location?????

Thanks,

--------------------------------

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

post-29793-0-37886800-1407518501_thumb.p

Thanks!

Until the staff members arrive to review your logs, the only thing that jumps out to me is the non-default installation location:

(Malwarebytes Corporation) C:\Installed Programs\Security Stuff\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

AFAIK, as long as MBAM is installed on the OS boot drive (usually C:\), it ought to run correctly.

But I don't know about that non-default folder location.

Please wait for assistance from the staff and forum experts.

If you want to do so, in the interim, you might want to try a clean reinstall to the DEFAULT location, to see if that resolves the issue?

Instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

<just a thought>

Thanks for your patience,

the only thing that jumps out to me is the non-default installation location:

If that creates a problem then that's poor and lazy coding! Not a problem on my end. There is no reason whatsoever ANY installed program has to go under Program Files, or even on the boot drive at all!

If is should matter for some silly reason, then the developers should not give users the option to install in another location!

Note I've been using MBAM on many systems since CastleCops days and it has never had an issue with the install location, or these update notices.

To be sure, this is only a minor nitnoid annoyance and only occurs a couple times a week. In no way is it going to dissuade me from using MBAM, or from recommending it.

If you want to do so, in the interim, you might want to try a clean reinstall to the DEFAULT location, to see if that resolves the issue?

Nope. Sorry, not going to happen. Their beta testers can do that. I do NOT and have not installed programs under Program Files or Program Files (x86) since I built my first PC in 1993 and put a large D: drive in there. This computer is actually the first PC I built for me where I install my program files on C drive instead of D drive and that is only because my C drive is a 256Gb SSD and I want all my programs to take advantage of SSD speeds.