chrome.exe infection

Hello.  I will be going over to a friend's house this evening to help him get rid of "chrome.exe" malware.  I will download FRST when I get there and run it and post the log file.

I do have two questions right off the bat:

1) is it OK to download the FRST from an unifected PC to a USB stick, and then use that on the infected PC?

2) is it OK to boot the infected PC in Safe Mode and run FRST in Safe Mode?

Thank you.

OK I'm back, with an update.  I now have possession of the computer at my home.  I would be most grateful if you would guide me through your step-by-step process please.

The present status of the computer is as follows:

- Dell Optiplex GX280 XP Pro SP3

- It will boot to the WinXP login screen, but the keyboard and mouse are totally unresponsive at this point, so I cannot run FRST.

- It will boot from CD or USB (I have live Linux distros) and the keyboard and mouse work fine.

- GPartEd reports NTFS filesystem errors on the OS partition (C: drive in Windows) and suggests that chkdsf /f be run (which I can't do because the kbd and mouse are non-responsive)

- I believe the machine has both MS System Essentials and Avast installed and running. 

If you can help it would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Does it have any good system restore points????

Do you have ERUNT installed?? (registry backup)

If you can get a FRST log...that would be great.

MrC

I hope this doesn't sound foolish, but how can I do any of that if the keyboard and mouse are both totally non-responsive?

I hope this doesn't sound foolish, but how can I do any of that if the keyboard and mouse are both totally non-responsive?

OK, then see if you can figure out why that is.

Try a different mouse, keyboard, etc.

MrC

I believe I've already narrowed it down to a problem with the machine's Windows installation:

1) The keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine on this machine when the machine is booted to a live Linux CD

2) The keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine on a different Dell desktop running the same version of Windows.

3) A different keyboard and mouse still do not work with the machine in question.

I was hoping you guys had a troubleshooting process you could walk me through for a situation like this.  Like maybe tell me how to make an XP bootable CD so I could run chkdsk.   Or walk me through how to put the hard disk into another (working) machine and work on it there.

I believe I've already narrowed it down to a problem with the machine's Windows installation...

I was hoping you guys had a troubleshooting process you could walk me through for a situation like this.  Like maybe tell me how to make an XP bootable CD so I could run chkdsk.   Or walk me through how to put the hard disk into another (working) machine and work on it there.

The malware seems to have damaged the Windows installation.  The owner tells me the machine was working just fine until Monday morning when the malware became manifest.