MBAM and MBAM-check crash on start

Hello,

Yesterday when I started my PC I had colored lines all over my screen and had to do a hard reset. After that, my MBAM won't start: It crashes immediately. I have attached two logs, but the mbam-check also crashes on startup  :wacko:

I've had this problem before, did a clean install of mbam but after some time the problem returned. Now I've done a clean install of windows 7 (new hdd) but here it is again  :(

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

post-170896-0-99496000-1407573184_thumb.

post-170896-0-21616000-1407573186_thumb.

Hello and :welcome: :

I suspect that we will need to collect some crash dumps from you.

But, one quick question:  your logs mention TrueCrypt.

Is your hard drive encrypted?

If so, can you please disable anti-rootkit scanning (Dashboard > Settings > Detection and Protection > remove the check-mark from "Scan for Rootkits")?

Please let us know if that resolves your issue.

If it does not, we will move on to the next troubleshooting step.

Thanks,

Hi:

OK, here's the next step.

Just want to be sure I understand correctly:

You recently reinstalled the Windows Operating System and MBAM? 

And you are unable to run MBAM on this fresh OS install?

Lets see if we can collect a crash dump so we can submit it for review from the Dev team.

Thanks,

--------------------------------------------

Create a Full Crash Dump using Sysinternals Process Explorer:

• Please download Sysinternals Process Explorer from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      • Right-click on ProcExp.exe and select Properties
      • Click on the Compatibility tab
      • Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      • Click on Apply then click OK
  • Double-click ProcExp.exe to run it.
  • Once the crash happens, leave the error window open and find mbam.exe in the process list in Process Explorer and right-click on it and hover your mouse over Create Dump and select Create Full Dump...
  • Save the mbam.dmp file to your desktop and close Process Explorer
  • Right-click on the mbam.dmp file you just created and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply if it is small enough. If it isn't then please upload it to a file sharing service such as WeTransfer and provide the download link for the file in your next reply
  • Let us know how big the file is and if you need instructions for WeTransfer (instructions are below, if you need them)

--------------------------------

Upload File(s) to WeTransfer:

• Visit WeTransfer.com
  • Click on I Agree
    4ENbg3P.png
  • Click on the icon on the lower left indicated in the below image
    qKOjzXD.png
  • Select the Link option
    Cyzhcx1.png
  • Click on +Add Files
    CvZMyrC.png
  • Browse to the location of the file and double-click on it or click once on it and select Open
    S5Ty834.png
  • Click on Transfer
    8eYfZGi.png
  • Once the transfer completes, click on Copy link
    fkb0tkR.png
  • Once you receive the Copied! message as indicated below, paste the link into your next reply
    ndpEstA.png

I recently reinstalled windows 7 but it had nothing to do with MBAM, I bought a new HDD. I installed MBAM premium and it worked for a couple of days without any problems. 

Yesterday my PC booted but I had colored lines, nothing was readable so I did a hard reset. I tested all the hardware but everything works and Panda Cloud found no viruses. Since then, I can't start MBAM. I attached the requested dump to this answer.

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the dump.

It wasn't clear that the hard reset was done AFTER reinstalling Windows.

And it sounds as if you have NOT reinstalled MBAM SINCE the hard reset?

If that's the case, then the hard reset may have corrupted something.

Under the circumstances, until someone arrives to look at your dumps, you might want to try a clean reinstall by following the steps in this pinned topic: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

It will only take a few minutes, and it may get you back up and running.

If it does NOT work, it may at least get you to the point of producing a fresh set of diagnostic logs, including CheckResults.txt from mbam-check.exe.

(If you do run FRST again, please be sure that there is a check-mark for Addition.txt under the Options.)

Otherwise, we will need to wait for staff from the dev/QA team to review your crash dumps.

Thanks very much for your patience,

I've done the Clean Removal Process and now it works again  :) But the main reason that I made this post is that this isn't the first time. I've had this problem twice before (not with the lines).

At some point my computer will boot and MBAM won't start while it had been working fine before. After that only a MBAM Clean Removal can fix it, until it happens again at a random moment. It isn't a virus because now it's a clean install now and no hardware problem (I tested all the hardware just to be sure after seeing the lines).

Hi:

Great!

I'm glad it's back up and running. :)

I have reported your issue to the dev team, so that they can analyze your crash dumps.

As it is the weekend, it may be a day or so before they can do that and report back.

Until then, the following might further assist them:

• A fresh set of all 3 diagnostic logs from both FRST and mbam-check -- you can send those now or anytime it's convenient;
  • A new crash dump file, if the problem recurs.

Again, thanks for your patience,

P.S. Unrelated -- Since you reinstalled Windows on the new HDD, did you update your DRIVERS after doing so, especially the video drivers? <just a thought>

• Staff

clone1612,

Hello and  :welcome:

Now I see you have issues with MBAM on startup.  If you see malwarebytes crash again, afterwards could you please do the following?  This is very important that you follow these instructions when getting a crash dump for your problem.

1. Do not close the error message:
    post-170896-0-99496000-1407573184.jpg
  2. Start Task Manager. To do this, use one of the following methods:
    • Right-click an empty area of the task bar, and then click Start Task Manager.
    • Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
  3. Click the Processes tab.
  4. Right-click the name of the process that you want (mbam.exe), and then click Create Dump File.

SecurityShield.jpg
     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

A dump file for the process is created in the following folder:
    Drive:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp
  5. When you receive a message that states that the dump file was successfully created, click OK.
  6. Afterwards, you can close the windows error message from step 1.

I'm requesting this once more just in case this happens again.  I've already submitted the first memory dump to our developers.  Keep us posted!