Win7-64 Home - Unable to access update server

I am trying to help a friend with his Win7-64 Home edition laptop that was infected with 2 Trojan horses and 2 PUPs. 

When I tried to update the MalewareBytes virus definition database, I get an unable to access the update server error.  I pulled his hard drive and scanned it on another PC via a USB caddy, but that does NOT help him to update and run MalwareBytes on his own.

I uninstalled and reinstalled MalwareBytes.  I followed the instructions from similar threads and did the following: 

I ran the MalwareBytes Clean and MalwareBytes Check app. 

I ran the FARBAR scans and removed remnants of other deleted programs (e.g. Norton, AVG, auto-updaters).

I tried to copy the database over from another up-to-date machine, but was not able to get that to work.

I disabled the Windows firewall and still could not update the virus definition database.

I disabled the Windows Live protection and still could not update the virus definition database.

I tried installing SpyBot and it was not able to update it's virus definition database either.  The SpyBot's logs did say that it could not attach to the interfaces port because it was already busy.  It did not identify what port it was trying to attach to.

Any other ideas to try before rebuilding ???

TIA

I had the very same poroblem, many do, go here and read what they told me and what to do, it worked for me..It might help you also and I think it will...

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/154540-will-not-update-have-to-fix-daily/

Hello and :welcome:

ths61.... A couple of easy things to check:

>> First, please be sure your system date/time are correct.

>> Then, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions. It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating the new build as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found =>HERE<=. Please post back if you need help with that.

>> Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.

If those suggestions don't resolve your issue: I know you said you already ran FARBAR, but you did not provide the logs for us to review, perhaps we can help you analyze them...

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

After reviewing your logs, you can try the steps for What to do: Runtime error - database stuck on 2014.03.04 - program stopped. That will more than likely solve your issue with not being able to update.....

However your logs also show that this computer is still infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

OK thanks for the update, since the computer is actually infected, lets get that resolved first, and after your cleaned up, if Malwarebytes is still not working properly we can go from there.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers