Will not update, have to fix daily

Hello,

I had had to uninstall your software from my windows 8.1 x64 due to the fact, daily I have had to fix it as it refuses to update.  I used your fix every time net conf fix and now that does ot even work as Malwarebytes stops working in the middle of a update.  I paid for the software, but that is alright, when it works right again and we stop having this kind of problem, I will put it back in, but for now, I have to leave it out as it also interferes with booting the computer.  There are absolutely no error messages or anything else, it just stops working and will not update at all.

Let me know when it is finally fixed, for until then, I am not using it as God knows what is wrong or how it affects a computer.

Thank you anyway,

Ivan

Hello and :welcome:

How about you work with the staff and see if they can fix your issue... lets try a clean re-install and then if that does not work we can collect a crash dump when Malwarebytes is not working so the Developers can figure what's going on....

A couple of easy things to check:

>> 1. First, please be sure your system date/time are correct.

>> 2. Then, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions. It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating the new build as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found =>HERE<=. Please post back if you need help with that.

>> 3. Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.

***NOTE: If your last scan was with database update 2104.07.26.09 and you have detected items that need attention (especially windows files) do not Quarantine those files - there was a bug with that update.

If those suggestions don't resolve your issue:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

This is a brand new computer, I also have superantispyware in it, win patrol,and of course windows defender all updated.  OK, I will go with a clean install again.  I will try and see what is wrong.  It never crashed and dumped, it would not update at all and turned red due to that.  I have used your software for a few years now and never had this kind of problme until which time I have had windows 8.1 x64.  But I am willing to try..

Thank you,

Ivan

OK go for the clean reinstall.... if that does not do the trick post the 3 diagnostic logs... you can also help by collecting the other logs... Basically you will try to perform the steps you do to update it, and if it fails we will collect that info. Here are the steps on how to create that crash dump....

Create a Full Crash Dump using Sysinternals Process Explorer:

• Please download Sysinternals Process Explorer from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      • Right-click on ProcExp.exe and select Properties
      • Click on the Compatibility tab
      • Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      • Click on Apply then click OK
  • Double-click ProcExp.exe to run it.
  • Once the crash happens, leave the error window open and find mbam.exe in the process list in Process Explorer and right-click on it and hover your mouse over Create Dump and select Create Full Dump...
  • Save the mbam.dmp file to your desktop and close Process Explorer
  • Right-click on the mbam.dmp file you just created and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the ZIP file you just created to your next reply if it is small enough. If it isn't then please upload it to a file sharing service such as WeTransfer and provide the download link for the file in your next reply

Upload File(s) to WeTransfer:

• Visit WeTransfer.com
    • Click on I Agree

4ENbg3P.png

• Click on the icon on the lower left indicated in the below image

qKOjzXD.png

• Select the Link option

Cyzhcx1.png

• Click on +Add Files

CvZMyrC.png

• Browse to the location of the file and double-click on it or click once on it and select Open

S5Ty834.png

• Click on Transfer

8eYfZGi.png

• Once the transfer completes, click on Copy link

fkb0tkR.png

• Once you receive the Copied! message as indicated below, paste the link into your next reply

ndpEstA.png

OK I used your software to totally uninstall the entire thing and I had to start over with it entirely.  It reinstalled quite nicely, no problem, working as it should right now, but it did that before also.  Now we will see if it corrupts again (as that seems to be a problem) and I have scanned, no virus or malware etc..  I hate to say it, being a computer tech myself, I find this all very annoying to have to go through all this for a darn computer, and I think a lot of it is windows 8.1 as I know it hangs up when shutting down and also at times prevents a reboot as I think it does not want to start preventing evrything else from starting.

While annoying, it is a challenge, up to a point, if I get sick of it, I will take my looses and dump it.  There simple easy  :), I know, you did not want to hear that...

Take care, thanks for the help

Ivan

I totally understand Ivan, how these computers can be a pain... I am not fond of Win 8 myself either... If it happens again, and if your willing to help the developers to improve the program and perhaps find a cause of what the issue is, it would not only benefit you but others as well..

But that is totally up to you....

• Staff

ForestElf,

Thank you very much for your cooperation with us.  Could you please try the following:

1. Ensure you have MBAM installed.
  2. Ensure you have "Enable self-protection module" unchecked under the Advanced Settings tab.
  3. Run the following tool: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean
  4. Allow your computer to reboot when prompted.
  5. Reinstall MBAM: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
  6. At the end of your installation, please ensure Start Trial and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are unchecked.
  7. Run the net.conf replacement tool: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/152047-what-to-do-runtime-error-database-stuck-on-20140304-program-stopped/
  8. Additional Note:  Please be sure to run the net.conf replacement tool as Administrator!
  9. Run the mbam-check tool: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check
  10. Attach the logs here.
  11. Attach copies of all the configuration files from this folder: %ProgramData%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Configuration
  12. Open MBAM for the first time after reinstallation and net.conf replacement.

I know it's a lot but please give this a try.

To attach files see below....

In order to attach files you click on the button on the bottom right of your reply called "More Reply Options". 

post-119961-0-49470200-1360187788.png

After you will be taken to a new screen and you can attach files by clicking on the button "Choose Files" at the bottom.

post-119961-0-01266900-1360187805.png

While Jon returns.... any reason why you are actually ignoring this malware instead of removing it?

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\2170508AECBD491899371EC6C0140E84

Category: File, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\2170508AECBD491899371EC6C0140E84\qms.exe

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\68903D22BC1C4C8AACB14E6D91A23B23

Category: File, Exclusion: c:\users\ivan\appdata\local\temp\nsya62.exe

While Jon returns.... any reason why you are actually ignoring this malware instead of removing it?

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\2170508AECBD491899371EC6C0140E84

Category: File, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\2170508AECBD491899371EC6C0140E84\qms.exe

Category: Folder, Exclusion: C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Roaming\OpenCandy\68903D22BC1C4C8AACB14E6D91A23B23

Category: File, Exclusion: c:\users\ivan\appdata\local\temp\nsya62.exe

I looked up OpenCandy on the internet and it said, and evern Microsoft said that it is often used by some companies and is legitimate software and was not malware at all.  Just because software says it is, does that make it so, I look up evrything.  So I left it, as it said there was no real reason to remove it as it did no harm and in most cases would be reinstalled by some other software that uses it.  So I left it.  If it makes you feel more fomfortable I can remove it..

While I now Malwarebytes see's it as Malware, SuperAntispyware and others do not, can you explain that?

It has not done any harm so far that I can find,

Ivan

• Staff

If the software is believed to be a false positive, you can create a new thread in the false positive section of our forums so our researchers can determine how and why this particular software/file is being detected.

Going back to my previous question, are you still seeing the original issue while scanning or updating with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Hello, I've been having issues with Malwarebytes recently. Every 5-7 days, my copy of MBAM fails to launch on startup. Upon opening the program myself, I am greeted with "Your system is not fully protected." Real time protection displays the status: "No protection". Clicking "Fix Now" resulted in the program becoming unresponsive for a few moments, and nothing else. I attempted to update the database, resulting in the status "Unable to access update server" Upon attempting to look under the about section to find what version of Malwarebytes I was using, I found that the Build Date area showed nothing. However, I am certain I'm on version 2.0.2.1012. I downloaded a copy of the Mbam-Check program from another thread with similar complaints, and I will upload the log file, and a zip file containing two screenshots as attachments. The way I've fixed this in the past is a simple uninstall and reinstall, but as mentioned earlier, every 5-7 days, the problem returns.

Thank you.

I also am having the very same problem with this now, before it would not update database, now it will not start with windows no matter what I do or check and it tells me I am not protected  now.  I do not think reinstalling or doing any of these things helps in long term, why, becuase I have completely removed it and reinstalled it 4 times now using all your tools.  I am not sick of it, and shall remove it permanently until it works right.  It is a shame also, good software gone bad.  I use windows 8.1 x64 on a brand new computer.

thank you

Ivan

I started having other problmes with it now, now it will not start with windows 8.1 x64 and tells me I am not protected.  I have installed and removed and reminstalled 4 times using all your tools and in the long term has done no good at all.  We all I can say to this is, Good bye Malwarebytes, it was fun, but now I am not going to try to fix your software that should work correctly to begin with and from what I see here, many others are having the same problem, such a shame.  But be that as it make, it has been complete removed from my computer now..

Bye bye

Ivan