Help with Automated Scheduling

Hi,

I have MBAM Anti-Malware Premium. It was installed by a former tech support guy, who I no longer use. I just noticed that it is set up for Automated Scheduling. I'm wondering if I have the optimal settings.

I've attached a screen shot of the Automated Settings main screen. It looks like it check for updates every hour and runs a scan every day:

post-170493-0-85786300-1407126538_thumb.

I'm puzzled as to why it checks for updates every hour when it only does a scan once a day. Wouldn't it make more sense to check for updates just before running the scan? What good are the updates if no scan is going to be done?

I then checked the settings for each scheduled task. I've attached screen shots for each one:

post-170493-0-98501500-1407126539_thumb.

post-170493-0-79083700-1407126537_thumb.

The threat scan uses a significant amount of my tired old computer. It's an 8 year old Dell laptop running Windows XP. Is there a way to tell MBAM to only run the scan during certain hours (say, 2:00 am to 6:00 am)? It would also be handy to be able to defer it for a specified period of time if the machine is too slow.

BTW: I can't find where in my profile I can specify my system specs.

Hi:

Short answer:
Yes, hourly update checks and daily threat scans are the recommended settings, and are the "default" settings for that reason.

Longer answer:

Why hourly update checks?  That's because the core protection of MBAM Premium is the *real-time* protection to help PREVENT infections from getting on to your computer.  Since MBAM specializes in "zero-hour" and "zero-day" threats not covered by your standard anti-virus (AV), and since the MBAM database is updates 10-12 (or more) times per day, it's important to stay current with the database. The daily threat scan is largely an extra layer of "insurance" to look for malware that might have somehow slipped past both MBAM and your AV.  NOTE: Scheduled update checks are randomized +/- 15 minutes of the exact time.  And there may or may NOT be a new database available each time -- only when there is a new database (average 10-12 times per day) will the database be updated.

Updates before scanning? Yes, that is an option and your screen shot shows that you have that enabled. NOTE: If you enable that setting, both the pre-scan update check AND the subsequent scan will be randomized +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time.  So, if you want your scheduled scan to run at the EXACT time it is scheduled, just disable the "Check for Updates Before Scanning" setting.

Scheduling a scan? You currently have your daily threat scan scheduled to run at 03:17 AM, but that can be easily edited to set whatever time you want.

Resources?  MBAM 2 is pretty light on resources, but scanning will take some CPU usage.  You can lighten the load and/or shorten the scan times a bit by disabling both archive scanning and rootkit scanning.  You can also schedule the scan to run at a time when the computer is ON, but not being used for resource-heavy applications.  And, you can set mutual exclusions between MBAM and your anti-virus (AV) -- please let us know if you need help with that.  And, there may be some other cleanup and optimizing of your computer performance that might help -- let us know if you need help with that.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Please let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I'll read the tutorials and FAQ & KB articles you suggest. In the meantime, a couple more questions:

1. You say that I have Threat Scans scheduled for 3:17:24 am. If I change that to 02:00:00, will the scans run at 2 am (+/- 15 minutes) from now on? I've attached a screen shot of the last few logs in the MBAM \Log folder. The file time stamps show times from 19:27 to 04:21.
  2. I don't want to restrict MBAM just to free up CPU capacity. I'll just run it when I'm not using it. Apropos of that, I see that I have "Scan for rootkits" unchecked. Should I check it?
  3. What's the difference between MBAM and an "anti-virus"? I thought I understood it until you told me that MBAM also has real-time protection. That sounds like what I thought anti-virus software did. If MBAM is doing that, why do I also need an anti-virus program? I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.
  4. If I do need an anti-virus program, which one works best with MBAM? I don't care if it's free or not.

post-170493-0-05464800-1407136703_thumb.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I'll read the tutorials and FAQ & KB articles you suggest. In the meantime, a couple more questions:

• You say that I have Threat Scans scheduled for 3:17:24 am. If I change that to 02:00:00, will the scans run at 2 am (+/- 15 minutes) from now on? I've attached a screen shot of the last few logs in the MBAM \Log folder. The file time stamps show times from 19:27 to 04:21.
  •  

Yes, if you schedule a scan at 2:00 AM daily, it will run +/- 15 minutes of that time, IF you have the option to "check for updates before scanning" enabled, and IF the computer is powered on (and awake).

If you disable the "check for updates before scanning", the scan should run at exactly 2:00 AM.

That log you posted isn't really complete (we would need more info to know for sure), but the reason you are seeing scans running at other times may be because you have the "recover if missed" setting enabled - the computer will run a scan to "make up" for a missed scan.

• I don't want to restrict MBAM just to free up CPU capacity. I'll just run it when I'm not using it. Apropos of that, I see that I have "Scan for rootkits" unchecked. Should I check it?

You can enable scan for rootkits, as long as your hard drive is not encrypted.

If you do enable it, you can expect slightly longer scan times.

If it slows things down unacceptably on your older system, then you can disable it.

• What's the difference between MBAM and an "anti-virus"? I thought I understood it until you told me that MBAM also has real-time protection. That sounds like what I thought anti-virus software did. If MBAM is doing that, why do I also need an anti-virus program? I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

As I explained earlier, MBAM is a specialized ANTI-MALWARE application that is designed to run alongside a robust ANTI-VIRUS (AV) to catch the sort of threats that the standard AV does not. It is called "layered" or "complementary" protection. This is explained here:

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

• If I do need an anti-virus program, which one works best with MBAM? I don't care if it's free or not.

Yes, you absolutely do!

There is no "best" option.

If there were, then there would be only one "brand" of anti-virus. ;)

There are many factors that influence the selection for a particular user and a particular computer.

Ten people will offer at least 11 opinions on the subject.

MBAM is designed and tested to run alongside all of the popular AVs.

Here is a pinned topic with a few options, as well as links to other sites where the "best AV" is discussed: List of well known antivirus products

I hope this helps,