Something strange with the Free version - Anyone seen this?

Hello everyone,

This is supposed to be the free version  I downloaded for a friend of  mine. I have downloaded and installed the FREE version for
many of my friends with no problesm. This time however it shows something I had never seen.

Notice the two "x" marks on the PIC. It appears to be forcing me to BUY the Premium version, now matter where I click It does not give me the usual option of "no thanks."

Also, it does no allow me to run the "hyper scan" option, only "threat scan." All in all just acting weird, not sure what is going on...

Anyone have an idea?

TIA

Yes.  I noticed that as well.  Though I clicked on the "FREE" version and NOT the "TRIAL" version, the trial version was the one that was downloaded.  I don't like that.  At. All.  Don't offer a FREE version if you are going to cleverly use the word FREE in place of the TRIAL version.  I cannot express enough how completely disappointed I am with Malwarebytes at this time.

It would nice if someone with Malwarebytes would respond to these inquires.  There will be more I am sure.

Hello, thanks for your response. Well, I am not sure what is going on yet, but yes, I would not expect this company - with the great reputation it has - to play silly games like that.

Just one question: Were you able to see the PIC?...   I myself don't see it anywhere...

TIA

Hi:

It would sure help to see a screen shot of what you describe.
In particular, it would help to see a screen shot of the main program GUI/dashboard, including the ribbon at the top -- does it say "Trial" or "Premium"?
Short of that.... :)

Program versions/licensing:
No, you are NOT forced to upgrade to a paid premium license. :)
During installation of version 2, a 14-day Trial of MBAM is enabled by default, unless the user opts-out by removing the check mark from the box during the install wizard. If you would like to revert to the Free version, I will list the options for doing that below.

If you now have the Trial version and you want to revert to the Free version, there are 4 options, any of which will work:

• Allow the trial to expire in 14 days;
  • Click the "End Trial" popup notification;
  • Click the "End Free Trial" link in the GUI;
  • Perform a clean reinstall, using the method described here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - be sure to "opt out" (remove the check mark from) the Free trial, if it is offered again during the installation wizard.

More information about version 2 here: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Scan Types:
As far as the scan types, the Hyper scan is indeed available only to paid, Premium (and Trial) users.
The different types of scans were renamed in version 2, and it has caused a bit of confusion.

"Flash" is now "Hyper"
"Quick" is now "Threat"
"Full" is now "Custom"

Hyper scan is available only to paid, PREMIUM users and is not routinely needed or recommended -- if anything is found, a subsequent Threat scan will be needed anyway.
THREAT scan is the most important and most useful scan -- it is the one that ought be run on a regular basis (daily is the default setting now in 2.0).
Custom depends on what drives, folders and files are selected -- routine use of a "full" system scan is neither necessary nor recommended, as it's a task better suited to your antivirus.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Please let us know if you need additional help.

Thanks,

Hello to both @EIBuscador and @KBG:

Along with daledoc1's usual/always excellent information, it could be helpful if we knew the full and exact URL you downloaded MBAM from.

The reason is, if corrupted files exist on those servers, we would like to see those files corrected/replaced ASAP.

Thank you.

Hi:

Although corrupt installer files would seem unlikely, I suppose it's possible.

In fact, however, @ElBuscador has a recent forum topic here, in which his logs showed minor infection, and he was advised by @AdvancedSetup to seek expert help in the malware removal section.

If this is the same computer, then that might turn out to be once again our recommendation today.

However, I respectfully suggest that we wait for the OP/Topic Starter to reply with more information, before striking out in many, different directions?

Just a humble suggestion,

Hi, @ElBuscador:

Thanks for those photos.

But I am a bit confused, for which I apologize.

It would help us to better assist you if you could please provide a bit more information:

• Is this the same computer with which you previously had a problem with the paid, PREMIUM version >>here<<?
  • Are you trying to install only the Free version on the computer about which you are posting here, in this topic, today?
  • Or are you trying to install/reinstall/activate the paid, PREMIUM version?

The Free, Trial and PREMIUM version of the program installer (the "setup" file) is identical, and is downloaded from this link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

>>If the user wants only to stay with the Free version, then s/he would EITHER disable DURING THE INSTALLATION the 14-day trial, or use one of the other methods I described here to end the Trial and revert to the Free version.

>>If the user wants to use the 14-day Trial version that is enabled by default, then there is nothing to do -- the Trial version will be enabled automatically for 14 days. At the end of 14 days, the program reverts to the Free version (the manual, on-demand scanner).

>>If the user wants to ACTIVATE the version 2 installation using a pre-existing license ID/key, then s/he would  either follow the prompts to do so during installation, or click the "Activate" link at the top of the dashboard during installation. S/he would then use the license ID/key already purchased to complete the activation. That activation converts the Free or Trial version into the paid, Premium version, by unlocking the Premium features.

Thanks,

Thank you for the info.  I don't have the links now as I have deleted them.  I went to malwarebytes.org and downloaded the free version.   Once I did, "trial" version was listed.

@KBG:

This is becoming increasingly confusing for everyone. :(

In order to better assist both you AND the Topic Starter individually, I am going to ask the mod team to split off your posts here into a separate thread.

Thanks for your patience,

Hi:

EDIT: @KBG -- please note, the mods have provided you with your own, separate thread >>HERE<<. :)

To minimize confusion, please reply there, not back here in @ElBsucador's thread.

Thanks!

Had to use GeekUninstaller to completely rid my computer of any and all traces of the program.  Once I did that, I was able to download and install the free version.

Our posts seem to be crossing in cyberspace. ;)

For future reference, the preferred and recommended method to cleanly uninstall MBAM is to use the Malwarebytes mbam-clean removal tool, rather than 3rd-party uninstallers.

The step-by-step, "best practices" instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Having said that, I'm glad you have things all sorted now.

Please let us know if you need further help.

Thanks,

Hi, @ElBuscador:

Thanks for those photos.

But I am a bit confused, for which I apologize.

It would help us to better assist you if you could please provide a bit more information:

No need to apologize, I can see the confusion now. I thank you for your help!

• Is this the same computer with which you previously had a problem with the paid, PREMIUM version >>here<< (A) As to this problem (the scheduling problem), I could not make it work and so I just gave up for now. I can always do it manually anyway.

(B) No, is not the same computer <smile>.  This is MY computer with MB PREMIUM on it. The "problem" happened in a friend's computer, an HP with Windows 7. The first top PIC  is from my FRIEND"S computer).

© With PICs 1 & 2, I was just trying to show someone who asked how and where I downloaded the Free version.

• Are you trying to install only the Free version on the computer about which you are posting here, in this topic, today?

(D) Neither. I was simply curious if anyone had seen something like what I am showing in the "original picture/Top Pic" ,which was from my friends computer, an HP computers w Window 7.

• Or are you trying to install/reinstall/activate the paid, PREMIUM version?

(E).  :-)....  I hope I clarified the situation by now....

The Free, Trial and PREMIUM version of the program installer (the "setup" file) is identical, and is downloaded from this link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

>>If the user wants only to stay with the Free version, then s/he would EITHER disable DURING THE INSTALLATION the 14-day trial, or use one of the other methods I described here to end the Trial and revert to the Free version.

>>If the user wants to use the 14-day Trial version that is enabled by default, then there is nothing to do -- the Trial version will be enabled automatically for 14 days. At the end of 14 days, the program reverts to the Free version (the manual, on-demand scanner).

>>If the user wants to ACTIVATE the version 2 installation using a pre-existing license ID/key, then s/he would  either follow the prompts to do so during installation, or click the "Activate" link at the top of the dashboard during installation. S/he would then use the license ID/key already purchased to complete the activation. That activation converts the Free or Trial version into the paid, Premium version, by unlocking the Premium features.

Thanks,

Hi:

Thanks for the added information -- I guess we can ignore the OTHER computer (your computer) for now.

Everything I can see in the first cellphone photo you posted looks normal for the dashboard of the Free version of the program.
(However, the photo does not show everything -- the ribbon that shows the program VERSION is cut-off at the top.)

The features that are shown as disabled in that photo (Licensing and Real-Time Protection) are both features of the PREMIUM (or Trial) version.
That is why they are X'd out/red in the Free version.
So, that picture looks normal, from what I can see.

If you could please post an actual screenshot of the GUI for the computer being discussed in this topic (the friend's computer?), that would help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-7

In addition to that, or EVEN BETTER, please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks for your patience,