scan even tells me my ask tool bar is detected as a potential threat

IEver since the update to the new free version MWBs has been telling me I have 18 detected potential threats. Even harmless items like my ASK toolbar which was a must for my Avira free , was detected as a potential threat .

Im confused and not pc savy

mei

v5ij6e.jpg

• Root Admin

Unfortunately Avira appears to be trying to recoup on their free antivirus by including the Ask toolbar which then provides them at least some minor amount of remuneration. I do not believe their paid product includes this toolbar.

Please read the following which explains why the ASK toolbar is not good.
IAC / Ask.com toolbars

If you would like us to review your system in more detail for potential issues then please export the log to a text file and post it back here as well as reading the following and post back the 3 requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

but if I took the ask tool bad out would that mean Id not have web protection ? Im using the freebie as I dont have plastic ..

Im mobile and out  at the moment .. hmm the stuff MWBs detected say its NON  malware detections .. Im not sure what that means .. if its non malware then why is it being warned about .. Im not very tech savy 

scans have run clean of malware so far .. just that what appears to be legit stuff is abit confusing for us non techs

but if I took the ask tool bad out would that mean Id not have web protection ? Im using the freebie as I dont have plastic ..

Im mobile and out  at the moment .. hmm the stuff MWBs detected say its NON  malware detections .. Im not sure what that means .. if its non malware then why is it being warned about .. Im not very tech savy 

scans have run clean of malware so far .. just that what appears to be legit stuff is abit confusing for us non techs

I forgot something .. what I want to know is does this detection of non malware stuff mean its a thing that could spread to another like a virus does ?

• Root Admin

Yes if you removed Ask toolbar it would break the Avira web search protection.

The other items detected are called PUP (Possibly Unwanted Programs) and yes typically sooner or later it will more than likely bring you to a site that has a high potential to infect your computer.

You can read more about from here

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/07/malwarebytes-adopts-aggressive-pup-policy/

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/security-threat/2014/05/more-pups-sighted-using-instagram-as-lure/

As said if you want further help we would really need to get the logs and then have you run other scans.

thanks I will bookmark this thread ..  guess for now we can close .. 

It will be quite some time before Im on my other laptop, and the wi fi here is weak...  so I want to read up some first before I decide what to do .. 

thank you for the information