Ever Since New Version Install, Auto-Update Doesn't Happen

Malwarebytes asked me to upgrade to the new version, which I did.  Now that has happened, the program is constantly telling me my database is out of date.

In Settings -> Automated Scheduling of the new User Interface, "Check for Updates" is scheduled to repeat every hour, but it does not.

Based on other posts about auto-update problems that I've seen on the site, I've tried to attach all the logs you might need.

mbam-log-2014-07-12 (14-19-38).xmlmbam-log-2014-07-19 (14-59-36).xmlprotection-log-2014-07-19.xmlprotection-log-2014-07-21.xml attach.txtCheckResults.txtdds.txt

Hello and :welcome: :

It looks as if something did not go right with the upgrade.

A couple of easy things to check:
>>First, please be sure your system date/time are correct.
>>Then, please be sure that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions. It's possible that your AV or firewall might be treating the new build as a new program and may be blocking it -- the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE (just that reply, not the entire thread). Please post back if you need help with that.
>>Also, please check to be sure there are no "Detected Threats" that need to be dealt with first, as this can prevent the program from updating: Click the "Scan" button at the top of the dashboard and verify that there are no detected threats (especially PUPs or PUMs) awaiting your actions.
>> Finally, you might want to start with the advice in this pinned topic >>HERE<<.

If those suggestions don't resolve your issue:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your reply.  Let me go through your initial suggestions first:

1) My system date and time are correct.

2) I have WebRoot SecureAnywhere as my AV.  I added the recommended files to the exclusion list, but it appeared that WebRoot already knew to allow them.  I looked at the Active Connections in the WebRoot firewall; mbam.exe, mbamservice.exe, and mbamscheduler.exe were all allowed in the connections list. I didn't see a way to add a connection, nor to specifically allow a URL (data-cdn.mbamupdates.com).  Are you aware of something else I need to do in WebRoot?

3) I am using Windows Firewall.  From the exclusion link you posted, it seemed that Windows Firewall allows MBAM by default?  If I need to allow the URL (data-cdn.mbamupdates.com) how do I do that?

4) There are no Detected Threats.

5) The pinned topic seemed to apply to MBAM not updating at all.  Is that correct?  My MBAM will update if I go to the Dashboard and click "Update Now."  It just doesn't update automatically, as it used to.  If I have misunderstood the subject of the pinned topic, let me know, and I will run through those instructions next.

Thanks again!

It just doesn't update automatically, as it used to.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, MBAM 2 Premium should be automatically checking for updates. There are 10-12 (sometimes more) database updates in a 24-hour period.

So, let's pick up with some routine troubleshooting.

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt).  Please also post back a couple of protection logs, preferably as .txt files, rather than .xml files.  (Let us know if you need help with that.)

Thanks,

I have this problem, too.  Apparently if the system sleeps so does Mbam.  When I wake up my computer to use it I have to compete with the scanner for 20-30 minutes while a quick scan runs.  Of course it's not that big of a problem, but I use a resource intensive program daily and this causes slow response times.  I am not sure when the problem began but I am pretty sure mbam ran when my system was asleep; including updating itself first. I am interested in seeing your solution.  I have already used the removal tool and un/reinstalled mbam and the problem still exists.  Every morning there is a popup to tell me the program is out of date. In a moment or two the Quick Scan begins running so I know it has updated itself before that scan.  But I believe both the updating and the scanning were taking place unattended and this is no longer true. I cannot find an option for mbam to wake the system to complete it's task. I am sure that used to be an option.  I am not asking for help directly, I am just letting you know I have this problem as well as the original poster in case that is important.

Hi, and :welcome: , kmlure:

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Each computer is unique.

Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.

The same is true for solutions.

They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.

The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Firefox