Always stuck at this file when scanning

Hello Dunbarly and :welcome:

When such incidents occur, the file displayed is almost certainly not at fault. Please specify the type of scan you were running.

Please open the GUI/UI and go to Settings > Detection and Protection:

Under Detection Options, uncheck:

• Scan for rootkits
  • Scan within archives
Then please try another scan.

Please let us know your status in a reply to this thread.

Thank you.

Hello Dunbarly:

The next step will be checking for a damaged/corrupted file/sector. Not knowing your hardware or Operating system, please choose the proper Check Disk execution that performs the full five phase check of the volume/partition in question where I strongly recommend running as the Administrator through a command prompt and reboot:

chkdsk {volume} /F
Then, please report your results/status in a reply to this thread.

Thank you.

Here you go, follow the one that is appropriate for your OS...

Check Disk XP

Please try the following. It should take at least 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the speed of your computer.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Check Disk for Vista and 7

Please see the instructions below to do a full disk check which should take at least 10 minutes and could take hours to complete.

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista or Windows 7

That is the User Registry for the System account (a built-in OS service account).

It may not be a case of scanning that file.  It could be a case where that was the last file scanned.  Now it is scanning an new file and that file may be a CAB, MSI or some other archive file type being scanned.  Since they are a file of files they tend to take longer and the Scan Engine will report on the container but not the file contents.

It is my understanding that the scanner doesn't display the file name of the file is to be scanned but shows the name of the file that had been scanned.

One way to prove this is to explicitly exclude %windir%\system32/config/systemprofile/ntuser.dat

Then if you do a scan and it gets "stuck", you would also see a different file name shown,  then you'll know it is not that file but the subsequent file it is getting stuck on.

I did the full 5 phase disk check, it still got stuck at that file. Then i tried to exclude the specific file system32/config/systemprofile/ntuser.dat with add file under settings > malware exclusions. but i couldnt find the ntuser.dat file in the selections. So i excluded the whole systemprofile folder.

After all that malwarebytes scanned some files then moved onto SysWOW64\com\en-US\MigRegDB.exe.mui and got stuck there again.

For the ntuser.dat file i was stuck for over 30 mins till i realized the scan was taking too long, and for the MigRegDB.exe.mui file, I let it ran for about 10 mins.

Then i excluded MigRegDB.exe.mui file and it is stuck again. I suppose it has nothing to do with the specific files that im getting stuck on, its just something wrong with my system thats making me stuck?

If stuck means that the scan says "currently scanning :blahblah file" for 30+ mins, then its stuck. It stays showing a particular file forever. I dont know if its scanning all other files while the "currently scanning" thing is saying the same thing.