MSXML Update inquiry

Eagleeye

Good morning everyone,

Secunia is saying my MSXML needs to be updated.  After clicking on the "Click to update" link, I am taken to the Microsoft page shown at:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3988&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True&fa43d42b-25b5-4a42-fe9b-1634f450f5ee=True

After clicking on the [DOWNLOAD] button on the page, it takes me to yet another page.  I have read and re-read everything on the page and cannot for the life of me, understand any of it.  I have NO idea WHAT to even select on this page.  I would have thought this type of update would come through the automatic Windows Update function.

My questionCan anyone please enlighten me as to just HOW to accomplish this supposed update I need?

I have attached a screenshot of the current MS Programs displayed in the Control Panel > Programs & Features.

post-103625-0-94093400-1405410303_thumb.

Thank you for your time and any help!

EE

this is for a "version upgrade" ...

you have version 4.xx and the one at the site is for version 6.0 .

there is a short list of needed files that you will be "prompted to download and install" .

that stuff at the bottom (popular downloads) has nothing to do with what you are inquiring about .

sooo ... jump on the upgrade if you feel froggy about it .

:lol:

yep , one would think this would be a part of the normal windows update offerings ...

perhaps it is the/your settings in W/U that cause these types of updates to be ignored .

also , this is yet another reason that those "software update checkers" can cuase grief in a number of occasions .

Hi CWB and thanks very much for your help! :)

The one remaining question I have is how do I determine which of the files shown in the attached screenshot, to actually download?

Many thanks!

EE

post-103625-0-61697900-1405418909_thumb.

you are quite welcome .

additionally ,

i checked three of my windows machines ... all are on version 6 .

hmmm ... you may want to do a little google recon and see if there is a reason why your machine did not "upgrade" .

Hi again CWB,

For some reason, the msxml 6.0 file will not install on this machine.  It downloads from the website fine, and after right-clicking on it, then on "Install", a box opens stating the installation was successful.  However, when I check the Programs and Features listing, it does not show msxml 6.0.  It still displays what is shown in my earlier screenshot.

When I did a Google search and looked at the info shown at the link below (about 1/3rd down the page), it is not showing Win 7 as being supported for msxml 6.0.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973686

I don't seem to be able to find anything the least bit helpful in my search results to explain this situation.  My Windows Update function is still set to auto-update, and the last check for updates was around 3 a.m this morning.  I've never had any real issues with updates not being performed.  At this point, I'll just wait and see if any problems actually arise.

Thanks again.

EE

Thanks very much for the info, Mike.

When I reviewed the info there, it is showing essentially the same info as the link I previously went to.  It lists the msxml v 6.0 as being available for Win XP and Windows Server 2003, but not Win 7.  So, I'll just continue with the v 4 that's already on this machine for now and just hope some unexpected problem doesn't arise.

Best regards,

EE

hmmm ...

according to the link you posted the new version "stashes" some code so that it does not have to be retrieved all the time from a server .

double check your version , as it does apply to W7 :

1. Locate the Msxml6.dll file in the following directory:
    C:\Windows\System32
  2. Right-click the Msxml6.dll file, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Version tab to see the version information.
    Note In Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008, click the Details tab instead

there is a "fix" for the 4.xx versions , it is the second one down in the "how to obtain this update" .

from what i read , there may be cases when the server is too busy or rejects the request that there will be a problem with rendering a page .

this is what the "fix" in 4.xx is for .

also , the "programs and features" may not have updated ... and would not show the new version .

Morning CWB,

Thanks again for the follow-up info!

I checked the location you mentioned and the screenshot attached shows what I found.  The "Last modified" date shows 3/26/2014.  This one still does not show up in Programs & Features, even after 2 restarts and 2 cold boots.

I take it, this means the msxml v6 is already installed on this computer?

Cheers!

EE

post-103625-0-39284800-1405579091_thumb.

it would seem that the latest and greatest is what your machine is actually (or is capable of) using .

why it does not show in the P&F list is (yet) another windows mystery .

according to the blurb about your computer , the version you installed is the correct one for a 64bit/W7 system that does not use an itainium processor .

(i wonder if itainium is related to unobtainium) .

you may want to query a forum over at MS about this .

Much obliged for the info, CWB. :)

I'll head over to either MS or maybe that sevenforums site to see if there's anything about this issue.

EE

Thanks very much for the info, Mike.

When I reviewed the info there, it is showing essentially the same info as the link I previously went to.  It lists the msxml v 6.0 as being available for Win XP and Windows Server 2003, but not Win 7.  So, I'll just continue with the v 4 that's already on this machine for now and just hope some unexpected problem doesn't arise.

Best regards,

EE

You will find the download for WIN7 towards the end of the list - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7434

Eagleeye:

Is it possible to post a screen capture or a text report of what Secunia PSI is actually indicating ?

I am confused as at one point we are as MSXMLv4 and now it's MSXMLv6.  This way we can ascertain what Secunia is "really" noting as needed to be updated.

Hi David,

Here's the screenshot you asked for.

Hope it helps and thanks for your reply!

EE

post-103625-0-98598700-1405674499_thumb.

Thanks for the info, David.

"Muddy the waters"...indeed!  From what I can read on Secunia's site, it seems no one really has a viable solution to this issue, other than suggesting Secunia's staff and/or MS do something about the problem.  Guess I'll just leave it the way it is for now.  (I've included a screenshot of the SYSWOW64 file listing on my computer.  It clearly shows msxml6 & msxml6r present).

On a different note, I wonder why Secunia's site is the ONLY site I've ever visited where there is no way to scroll the screen to the right or left.  Even when I enlarge the font so I can read it, there is still no scroll bar shown.  Tired of pulling my hair out. :blink:

Regards,

EE

post-103625-0-27200000-1405688725_thumb.

it sure looks like yer good to go .

as for strange goings on and finding solutions to problems ...

many years ago a guy bought a brand new automobile .

he noticed a rattle in it and took it back to the dealership to have them look into it .

the mechanics thought they had found the problem and turned the car back to the guy .

a couple of days later the rattle made it's presence known .

back to the dealership and after a bit , back to the owner .

yep ... the rattle showed up again .

the song and dance went on for some time .

finally the dealership gave the guy a replacement vehicle as they could not fix the problem .

the powers that be gave the green light to finding the cause of the rattle no matter what it took .

after checking all kinds of stuff , they started disassembling the vehicle .

they finally narrowed the problem down to a section of the frame .

they cut the frame open and inside was a sealed coke bottle with a slip of paper in it .

the slip of paper was removed and it read :

"congratulations , you finally found the problem" .