[SOLVED] Premium upgrade may be working, but it said ID&Key Not Correct

dpdhawaii

I upgraded to premium, cut and pasted ID and Key (and yes, I was careful about not including extra spaces).

The response was "Id and Key Not Correct" or something very close to that. The activate button is no longer usable (greyed out). The log showed only Internet Explorer protection. Only 2 products shielded. It did not seem to be providing the expanded protection of premium. Think in terms of the 'user experience' here!

After reading the forums, I see the window title-bar says premium. It now says four products shielded. I'm guessing it is working, but I am writing to say this is not a very comforting start to using your product. I should not get an message saying the ID and Key were not correct, which led to over an hour of uninstalling, re-installing, going to the forums, and trying to figure out what was wrong.

I should not have to send you a log and ask if the product I just paid for is working or not. The product itself basically told me it was not working when I got the 'Not Correct' on the key and ID. Again, think 'user experience'. So here is the log. Please confirm whether my product is working or not.

mbae-default.log

• Staff

Hi @dpdhawaii, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

According to the logs your version of MBAE seems like it has been correctly unlocked to Premium. Just to be sure you can verify that it's Premium by opening the UI and navigating to the SHIELDS tab. It should look like the one below where the title says "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium", the "Add Shield" button is activated and the locks for all the listed applications are closed.

Is this what you are seeing?

post-141843-0-17305800-1404343769_thumb.

Thanks for the reply and for checking the log file.

Yes, that is what I am seeing. Thanks for confirming my product is working.

I do hope Malwarebytes looks into why I received that "ID and Key Not Correct" message. I noticed that there is the following message in the confirmation email after purchasing the premium version:

------------

Important: Please make sure you are COPYING and PASTING the ID and Key directly from the confirmation email into the proper fields. The code is case sensitive and contains letters and numbers that can easily be confused, so make sure you distinguish between the letter "O" and the number "0" if you enter the code manually. Also, be careful when pasting that there is no space at the end of either the ID or Key

------------

The need to include that notice is an indication you may have had an inordinate number of users indicating problems with activation. It's understandable that you may initially suspect user typo errors. But I urge you to consider that maybe a large number of those activation problems were not in fact user errors in cut and paste or typing. I offer this as constructive criticism, not whining. I have owned and promoted Malwarebytes since I first learned about it, installed it and purchased the upgrade. I hope your 'exploits' software proves to be as great as your original malware product.

One thought, and it's only a wild one. I downloaded and installed the exploits software. Then, because I've been so pleased with your Malwarebytes product, without further ado went ahead and tried to upgrade and purchase the premium version. In the process of purchasing, it showed a download button. I'd already installed it, but figured the premium would be a different  download (there was no indication that the premium purchase simply involved an unlocker). So I clicked the download button presented during the purchase process. It turned out to be exactly the same, but I chose to overwrite the original file and download the 'new' file. I then re-installed using the newly downloaded version. I tell you all of this, because I'm thinking maybe the original version had some sort of hook for a key to unlock. but then I installed a new file (although the same version of software). But maybe somehow with the two different installs amidst a purchase, that has something to do with why I got the wrong Key and ID message.

Anyway, don't assume the users are doing typos. It was a very frustrating start for me and the problem was that false error message. Please fix it so you don't loose customers.

• Staff

Thanks for your feedback, it is very helpful!

In terms of the notice about the copy-paste error, this is due to the way Windows select and clipboard works. If you select a set of characters at the end of a line Windows will also select the line return character and, when pasting, will result in an additional space being pasted at the end of the ID or KEY. This is a very common behavior and it is difficult to spot unless you are paying a lot of attention. For MBAM we are automatically detecting the situation and chomping that last empty character as it used to be a huge problem. For MBAE we still need to implement that chomping feature.

As for your feedback on the Premium install on top of the Free install, this is very good feedback as well. We should add a sentence or two in the confirmation email advising users that they don't need to download and re-install if they already have MBAE Free installed and should simply just enter the ID/KEY to unlock Premium.

Again, thanks for your insight, very useful indeed!!