Multiple Issues

Multiple Issues:

1. Unable to access update server, no action results from "update now."
  2. Real time protection switched off, no action results from "fix now."
  3. Scan does not appear to be reviewing all files, objects scanned = 4225, expected is approx. 220,000.
  4. Scan log indicates "Malware Protection" and "Malicious Website Protection" are disabled, but in "Detection and Protection" they are enabled.
  5. "About" does not show version information.   Upgraded to premium 5/27.

Thanks,

Kathleen

FRST.txtCheckResults.txtAddition.txtScan Log 062814.txt

Hi, knl: :)

Until the staff members arrive to formally review your logs....

I understand that MBAM 2 is not performing properly.

Your logs confirm that.

You mentioned that you upgraded to Premium back on 5/27, but it's not clear if this was a clean install or clean upgrade, or whether you upgraded to 2.0 on top of an earlier version (1.75)?

A clean reinstall following the recommended best practices (including the use of the special removal tool and rebooting when prompted) does indeed resolve many minor issues.

It is often the fastest way to get back up and running.

If you prefer to wait for a staff member to review your logs, that's fine, of course.

Otherwise, I suggest that you please try the clean reinstall, by following the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

For best results, please be sure you are logged into Windows from an Admin account, and that you restart (reboot) the system when prompted.

You may also want to set mutual exclusions between MBAM and McAfee -- let us know if you need help with that.

(In the absence of any glaring issues with your system noted in the logs -- such as signs of infection -- this clean reinstall will likely be the first recommended step of the staff experts, as well.)

Thanks,

Hello knl:

Please begin here:

Please let us know, in a reply to this thread, if the above steps have helped you with your issue.

Thank You. :)

Edit: Oops! This summarizes, in abbreviated form, what good information daledoc1 has given you above. I'm slower because I just use 3 to 4 thumbs on one hand...

Edited by 1PW

Hi, @1PW: 

The user has already posted 1 set of logs, no? :)  

And I just suggested a clean reinstall, no? :)

I suppose that, if the clean reinstall fails, ANOTHER set of fresh logs will be needed; but @knl will need instructions to re-run Addition.txt (by placing a check-mark for it under "Optional" scans in FRST), if we get to that point?

<just sayin'> :)

Hi daledoc1 and 1PW,

Whatever you suggested in 3 threads and roughly 300 words I summarized  in 3:

uninstall / clean / install;

by now this seems to be a panacea for all MBAM problems.

Most people require precise and detailed instructions, as supplied by the detailed posts by daledoc1 and 1PW. You did not specify what and how to uninstall, what and how to clean, what and how to reinstall.

Thanks to all for replies, especially daledoc1 and 1PW for details.

I am all better now.

Just one question...daledoc 1, you mentioned setting up exlcusions...could you elaborate?   I have had Malware Bytes working in harmony with McAfee for a long time, should I take some action there?

knl

Hi, knl:

Great! :)
I'm glad you are back up and running.

As for exclusions -- basically, it's a way to tell MBAM and your AV to ignore each other, so that they won't "bump into each other".
While it's not strictly necessary for most users, it can sometimes help to optimize performance or to reduce the chance of subtle clashes.
If MBAM and McAfee are working OK without doing so, you need not go to the trouble.

However, if you wish to do so, the attached screen cap shows an illustration of how to tell MBAM to ignore an antivirus from my own computer (it shows Kaspersky IS, instead of McAfee, obviously, but you get the idea).

For the MBAM exclusions in McAfee, you might need to check with the folks at their forum, if you need help (or let us know, and someone who uses McAfee can probably provide specific help). 

However, the files to exclude are listed below.

Cheers,

---------------------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products -- alas, it's rather outdated, but the basic approach is still valid.

post-29793-0-09361000-1404001516_thumb.p

Some users will search the forum and try to work out things to try before posting. Others have a problem they can't solve so their starting point is a new thread. We are here to help other users, not be ironic, cynical or patronising: which helps no-one.

I don't wish to discuss this further.

Hi John A,

9 of 10 threads on this forum are about uninstall / clean / install , so, any user able to boot a PC would understand what to do.

I was trying to be  ironic though, I do not believe that ALL MBAM problems can be solved by uninstall / clean / install.....

[snip]