Problems with IE after using free malwarebytes for Spyware Protect 2009

Yesterday I downloaded the free spyware software to remove the Spyware Protect 2009. Ever since, my computer is working great except I can no longer get online via IE 8 (I upgraded to IE from IE 6 after I couldn't get on). Right now I'm getting online using another browser. I'm going to uninstall IE and reinstall it again, but in the interim, do you have any other suggestions or ideas? Thank you. :mellow:

• Staff

Hi,

You were most probably dealing with the Koobface Worm. This one sets a proxy.

When the malware gets removed (by mbam or any other scanner), it causes a "loss of internetconnection" if the malicious proxy is still set. Mbam doesn't fix this proxy since mbam cannot know what proxy was previously set (if any) and that would give a lot of complains :mellow:

Anyway, To fix this..

In IE: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" or reconfigure the Proxy server again in case you have set it previously.

In Firefox in Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" under Connection.